Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13   #1

Miami boatshow

Since I can't find any threads yet about the boatshow, here we go! My wife and maybe another couple will be there this year after missing last year. We spend most of our time at the sailboat venue, looking at cats. Who else will be there and what are your interests? Maybe we can hook up and roundtable about cat sailing and living aboard (which my wife and I are getting set up to do). See ya there!
bayoubouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:50   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I'll be there - with Asasangi.

Just sailed her up from Valdivia, Chile.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubouy View Post
Since I can't find any threads yet about the boatshow, here we go! My wife and maybe another couple will be there this year after missing last year. We spend most of our time at the sailboat venue, looking at cats. Who else will be there and what are your interests? Maybe we can hook up and roundtable about cat sailing and living aboard (which my wife and I are getting set up to do). See ya there!
I'll be driving down for the last few days of the show to make sure I don't miss the "party" on the last day. (you want to be there at closing to get in) Trust me, its fun AND they give away a lot of fun stuff.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 14:37   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
There was a thread but I cannot find it. I searched for a long time and then this one disappeared even when I logged off and started a different browser etc???????

I will be there Thurs and Fri. Leaving Sat some time.

I will be at the Holiday Inn that is "across the street", so they told me.

I will spend all my time in/on the cats with more head room!

Should we wear something identifiable or remain hidden in cyber space forever???
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 16:39   #5

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
You all need a cruisers T shirt
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 18:27   #6

We should come up with same way to id each other. Please no pink armbands heheheh.

seer
Old 06-01-2008, 19:29   #7

Boat: Flicka
Send a message via AIM to conrad
So What are the dates and location of the show??????????
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad View Post
So What are the dates and location of the show??????????
Strictly Sail
Old 07-01-2008, 13:11   #9

I notice on the online purchasers forum there is a space for a 'promo code' heheh . who do we know that can get some kind of deal on these tickets?

seer
Old 07-01-2008, 18:12   #10

Speaking of boat shows, I was curious what the participants get in return for allowing people to walk through their boats?? All of the boat shows that I've attended, it was always owner's boats that we walked on, never a brokers or manufacturers boats.

So, there must be some incentive to have these people go to these shows and allow a large traffic of people walking through their boats. What are some of the perks that these owners get?? Just curious if anyone knew.

Cheers
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 21:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Just curious if anyone knew.

Cheers
I know of only one, and not any details or exact time frames.

In exchange for them having their boat at the Annapolis show and the St Pete show and (I think the Miami show) they get a person on board that gave sailing (total service here now) instruction for a cruising cat. Complete "course" for the duration.

Pretty good deal for the folks with the dream, the money and not the experience.

400k boat.

Don't quote me on any of this.
Old 07-01-2008, 21:43   #12

There was a somewhat famous case involving a certain Yacht yard and a couple out on the west coast involving tax implications of trying to write off a portion of the boat's cost against a supposed 'business' where the owners took their boat to various shows etc. to represent the yard for a small percentage of the profit gained on any ultimate purchase of a boat from the yard by someone that had been on their boat...there , does that make sense?
Didn't to the Tax Court either who ended up disallowing the deductions and imposing the tax hhehehe.

seer

OTOH I could see where a new boat purchaser might be cut a special deal by the builder for agreeing to let the boat be seen at a number of shows..maybe some extras as *freebies* etc., but no first hand experience of that, (tho I have heard a few stories..)
Old 07-01-2008, 22:23   #13

Thanks for everyone's input. I was just curious because no broker that I have ever come across EVER had the capital to actually have boats that they owned to show or as part of a "show room."

When we were researching a certain type of boat, the broker drove us around to various homes that had the boat moored in their backyard or canal. Or I saw these people at the boat shows showing their boat as part of that line.

I never asked the owners what was in it for them as I didn't want to change the subject, but there must be some kind of incentive to have these people show their boats as part of a showing off the products of the manufacturers line, etc..

I can only assume that perhaps these people showing their boat as part of the line must get a free engine service, accommodations, meals, etc.. I just wanted to verify my assumptions.

Cheers!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:52   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Since most boats are foreign, the free delivery to your home port is a great way to use the boat in the shows. In my case it will be the exposure the boat will get in the show so, for those of you who are looking for a great boat come look at mine in Miami. it is the Voyage500 and i must sell her due to my real estate issues.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Speaking of boat shows, I was curious what the participants get in return for allowing people to walk through their boats?? All of the boat shows that I've attended, it was always owner's boats that we walked on, never a brokers or manufacturers boats.

So, there must be some incentive to have these people go to these shows and allow a large traffic of people walking through their boats. What are some of the perks that these owners get?? Just curious if anyone knew.

Cheers
hallo Shadow

Normally these boats are rented back from the owners , serviced cleaned waxed and polished
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami