Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 16:58   #1

Boat: Still planning
Miami Boat Show Advice

My wife and I would like to attend the boat show">Miami Boat Show this February. Would like to know some recommendations on where to stay and any other thoughts on the show. This will be our first boat show and we will be looking at cats.

We are late making plans I am sure as I understand that you should make plans well in advance, but this is our opportunity and would like to make the best of it.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Old 31-08-2011, 17:08   #2

Boat: Rhodes 32
6 months ahead seems early enough. Miami is good show to look at cats too. I'd live it up and stay on or near the beach.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 19:20   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Miami Boat Show Advice

Jacket fan,

We have been there a few times.

We stay across the street at the Holiday Inn.
Holiday Inn MIAMI Hotels | PORT OF MIAMI-DOWNTOWN | Directions
Not too many stars but so easy to walk back to your room any time. Don't have to get up early to travel and park. Don't have to worry about beers at dinner for the drive back to your hotel.

Miamar (sp?), the place where the boats are, has a whole dockside area full of shops and restaurants (Bayside Marketplace). Once you are there you don't need a car. Busses will take you to other areas of the show.

We get there the afternoon before the first day and walk the docks while people are preparing for the opening. Most people are friendly and we make an effort to stay out of the way. Only Lagoon has run us off.
Old 31-08-2011, 20:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The Holiday Inn that Therapy recommended is right across the street from the Sailboat part of the show. I think a lot of the people who come into town to work the show stay there. Make your reservations soon. I expect it will fill up. There will be buses running from the Sailboat show over to the big show on Miami Beach. Parking is a big problem on Miami Beach so the bus is the way to get there. Plan a full day for each part of the show. Add a third day if you are serious about buying a boat. As a sponsor of CF I'm going to throw in a little plug for my company. Please visit our booth at the convention center. We'll have great bargains on clothing and shoes, fishing tackle also. At the Sailboat show we'll be working the Gill weather gear">Foul Weather Gear booth and I know there will be some great bargains there as well. While you're in Miami, you should really visit my store. We're on the Miami River very close to the airport. I'd love a chance to meet you.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38   #5

Boat: Still planning

Thanks for the input. If there are certain boats we want to make sure we get aboard, do we need to register or make contact prior to the show?

HC, we will try and meet up with you.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

If you are going to the show to look at sailboats, prepare to be disappointed. On the otherhand, it is a great show for electronics and other equipment. Many manufacturers use this show to announce new products.

The Annapois Show remains the best to see new and brokerage sailboats. Even this show has seen a drop in the number of boats and manufacturers over the last few years.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket_fan View Post
Thanks for the input. If there are certain boats we want to make sure we get aboard, do we need to register or make contact prior to the show?

HC, we will try and meet up with you.

No. It is like a fair. Pay the fee to get in and then walk the docks and get on any boat you wish as you go.

Hopefully, if you have deep pockets, you will see the Antares 44i. The one (hands down) I want next.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06   #8

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I used to go to Miami, but it is so big and difficult to get around (up to an hour from one venue to another because of traffic). Annapolis on the other hand is only sail for the one week and if memory serves me well has more sailboats then Miami. I find it a much more pleasant experience in a compact area. Maybe if you are looking for electronics Miami may be slightly better.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37   #9

Take a look at the Miami show site exhibitor list. It looks thinner than ever in sailboats (and it was really thin the last two years). Sure, a few more may decide to go but some others will likely drop out.

"The Show" on the east coast for larger sailboats is Annapolis at the beginning of October. The boats are there and the people are there that you want to talk to.

The builders also know that the real buyers all come to Annapolis so they put in their first team. It's very inexpensive to fly into BWI.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hello Mark - For the most up to date information on the Strictly Sail Maimi show, including discounted room rates at the Holiday Inn across the street from the show visit the Strictly Sail Miami website.

Much of the show detail e.g. exhibitors, boat list and seminars are from last year but travel info has been updated. Look for continuous updates on the details as we get closer to the show.

Feel free to contact me direct with any questions.

Thank you
Kevin Murphy
Strictly Sail Show Manager
kmurphy12161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42   #11

Boat: Leopard 46

My wife and I visited the Miami show last winter. We stayed on south beach and took a taxi to and from the show. It was easy and the taxis were reasonable. We spent the evenings enjoying the south beach area. It was like a mini-vacation.
MNLandLoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show, miami, miami boat show