Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2014, 05:06   #121

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Miami Boat Show ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Check out the FF46 designed by one of the original Lightwave catamaran builders. virtually everything Antares has, larger, more room and designed as a long term liveaboard.

Designs - FreeFlow 46

http://www.cata-ballotta.com/Price/FREEFLOW46.pdf

Sailing Catamarans by Lightwave Yachts

Looks nice! I will pass it on. Many of the other dealers also mentioned the Antaries was nice but over priced but then, they are all wanted to sell you on theirs. Second day we and our guests went over the Lagoons and are now considering a 39 which isn't set up with all the amenities but is also half the price. They will have some things to consider depending on their budget.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 05:26   #122

Boat: currently a power boat :(

I was impressed with the Lagoon 39 overall. The square corners/edges everywhere did cause concern, but it seemed most of the cats are going for this "look". Of the big 3 cat producers, the Leopard was typically on top for me, but those "front porches" kill it for me now. Overall the FP Helia was the least amount of compromises for my tastes, but I think the Lagoon 39 was a good boat too, especially considering the savings over the 42-45' cats. But, sailing them would be a must of course. Anyone know how the Lagoon 39 sails with their "newer" set up? Thanks
Old 17-02-2014, 05:37   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
I was impressed with the Lagoon 39 overall. The square corners/edges everywhere did cause concern, but it seemed most of the cats are going for this "look". Of the big 3 cat producers, the Leopard was typically on top for me, but those "front porches" kill it for me now. Overall the FP Helia was the least amount of compromises for my tastes, but I think the Lagoon 39 was a good boat too, especially considering the savings over the 42-45' cats. But, sailing them would be a must of course. Anyone know how the Lagoon 39 sails with their "newer" set up? Thanks

We were also really curious how they sailed with that smaller main so far back. Also agree on the Leopard front porch. The way we go, it would just be a salt encrusted room that I needs to hose down. Also the Leopard 39 felt so much smaller than our 40. I believe it has less beam. Helias were nice and spent quite a bit of time on them. Our guests felt the finishing wasn't as nice but those are your compromises. For our guests, storage spaces for tanks and dive compressors was key so those were high on the list of must haves.
Old 17-02-2014, 10:57   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sailing Fast, I could give you a great price on a Lehr 15 Propane Outboard but I can't get one until next month. I've been looking at the prototype at the show and it really looks nice. It's very easy to hand start because it's equipped with a compression release. I'm going to buy one for my own use. The only draw back I see is that it will want to be fed liquid propane at high speed. I plan to use a forklift tank on my boat as they will supply liquid propane and can be put on their side.
Thanks,
I am not convinced that propane is the best way to go for a dinghy. Gas is not ideal either, especially when your boat uses diesel, but I think it is more common than propane would be.

Anyone out there on the hook have any thoughts on finding propane vs petrol off the mainland?
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 10:58   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcmia View Post
Contact Lifeline Inflatables, Miami. I got a great deal on a new 20hp 4stroke Tohatsu from them a couple months ago and they are very easy to work with.
Thanks... will do
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 17:24   #126

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowsail View Post
Therapy, I agree with you about the Maverick. Very well thought out boat, IMHO. Very practical & not over the top. Plus, the South African rep, in my experience, were the nicest & most engaging. Never seemed to have their noses in the air like some of the Lagoon reps I spoke with. All in all, my family & I enjoyed the show. I'm 38 now & have been going to that show since I was 15. Only missed 2! It's a nice annual tradition that I'm now able to share with my 2 daughters, 8 & 2.
I found the Lagoon folks a little over the top myself.

I have read about the Maverick for a couple of years and have electronically communicated with a couple of owners. Rudi is really a great guy and I think, very honest. I think he has the best boat too. The things you need are standard, unlike what I found on the Leopard. Bilge pumps and high water alarms, glass on some windows you can walk on, ability to get to dock level at midships, a decent boarding ladder, enough room to actually service the engine and many other things. Too bad I don't have the money for one. It is over double my farthest budget.................

I was there Wed night to Sun morning with wife, one son and his friend. The rooms were 2k. Yikes. I have never spent that much for four days in my life. EVER!! I sure hope I had a really good time. I think parking a rental camper in the lot across the street would be a lot cheaper. Doable??

I did win the winchrite at the Lats and Atts party though. First time I have ever won anything that I remember. Now to find a winch (mounted to a boat) so my wife can try it out.
Old 17-02-2014, 17:28   #127

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing fast View Post
Thanks,
I am not convinced that propane is the best way to go for a dinghy. Gas is not ideal either, especially when your boat uses diesel, but I think it is more common than propane would be.

Anyone out there on the hook have any thoughts on finding propane vs petrol off the mainland?
Not sure but first world has propane everywhere. Second and third world use it for a large portion of daily cooking. Seems it would be everywhere since all of them eat.
Old 17-02-2014, 17:47   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
We were also really curious how they sailed with that smaller main so far back. Also agree on the Leopard front porch. The way we go, it would just be a salt encrusted room that I needs to hose down. Also the Leopard 39 felt so much smaller than our 40. I believe it has less beam. Helias were nice and spent quite a bit of time on them. Our guests felt the finishing wasn't as nice but those are your compromises. For our guests, storage spaces for tanks and dive compressors was key so those were high on the list of must haves.
I come from (sailboat background) Snark -> 18' Westerly Nimrod -> Gemini 105Mc

The 39 looked big and nice to me. And I am 6'4" I like the fridge and freezer. Spoke to two owners and turned the wife over to their wives. (the fridge and freezer are nice) The 44 was big too - really big. I agree about the overall utility of the front porch though. Rudi (Maverick) just took his saloon out that far and made it really big. But you were not impressed with that boat. Whatever floats I guess.

One must sit down and do the math with the options list of the bulk manufacturers though. I did a little and found it did not take long to approach Maverick and Antares prices. Like the car ads. Be careful. You want some chain with that anchor? Sure we can do that. Another battery - sure, no problemo.

Also I got a chance to get introduced to a delivery captain who has 20+ years in the bulk catamaran businesses. Has worked for a few of them. Has delivered new and used in large numbers. Best sailers are Leopards - FP - Lagoons. Lagoons are heavy and strong. FPs are light and don't last. Leopards are better built and sail well / better. One more data point for me.

I spent a lot of time looking at the weld points on the boats. Leopard and Maverick had the best. Gunboat doesn't count - I got on it to say I have seen it but honestly cannot remember seeing it. I guess all the 000,000s blurred my vision and plugged my ears. It could be they have no weld points since it is 100% carbon fiber. Sheesh!

Can you tell what my favorite in each category is.
Old 17-02-2014, 17:50   #129

Oh yea,

I asked around at the band site a little.

I went to the Lats and Atts party on Sat and even got the band to call on any and all Cruisers Forum dot com in the audience.

Not one person came up.

Where the hell were you all each evening?

Old 17-02-2014, 19:24   #130
kps

Boat: Krogen 42

Tellie,

Good to meet you in person at the show. We talked a bit about my needs on my cat and you told me about yours. I appreciate all the time you spent and the education you gave me! Hopefully be down that way in November to add the cape horn to my cat.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 19:37   #131

Therapy - my only excuse for not showing is we had a group of 7 which was like herding cats. I think everyone was just so tired and overwhelmed with information. In other words, we sucked :/
Did meet a few cf folks like Les and the poor guys stuck talking to us while they worked (you know who you are

It was a good show and fun watching our friends explore their options while they could stay with us and get a feel for our boat for comparison. They aren't even discouraged yet!

One thing to note - staying at Dinner Key is a PITA with the art show going on concurrently. Never again.
Old 17-02-2014, 20:33   #132

Boat: 28' Bennington

I wasn't at party because I left early. Was planning on staying but went home Saturday afternoon. My apologies

Les
Lespilot57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 13:21   #133

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Also agree on the Leopard front porch. The way we go, it would just be a salt encrusted room that I needs to hose down. .... For our guests, storage spaces for tanks and dive compressors was key so those were high on the list of must haves.

Actually, wouldn't the "front porch" on the Leopards be the perfect place to put your compressor and dive tanks and keep them in shade and out of the way?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 13:50   #134

An interesting idea Rohan. Not sure if I would keep them there underway as we tend to get some spray up front but certainly out of the way in most circumstances. Off the back end would be better as that is where you deploy but not a bad idea.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:29   #135

Boat: 28' Bennington

I was on a Leopard with the Moorings and they had a scuba tank rack right by the starboard stern steps. Perfect location.
Lespilot57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show, miami, miami boat show