Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 12:58   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Men overboard

Hi Folks... as I was sailing into Las Palmas last Friday morning I picked up a Mayday Relay saying 5 persons had been lost overboard from the Tri 'Barracuda' in what sounded like the S end of the Gran Canaria-Tenerife channel... helicopter rescue was despatched and boats in the area asked to assist...
Did not hear anymore before I left yesterday avo... does anyone out there know if things turned out well in the end...?
I surely hope they were okay but am curious as to what happened.. 5 people in the water seems a lot to lose in one fell swoop..
Cheers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 13:58   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Men overboard

Captain Calamity Roy Finlay and his crew w plucked to safety just 150 miles into Atlantic trip | Mail Online

'I'd love to say I love physical challenges - I don't!': Captain Calamity and his crew who were trying to row across the Atlantic are plucked to safety just 150 miles into trip

• Roy Finlay and his crew were trying to row 3,000 miles across the Atlantic
  • Attempting to break the world record of 31 days, 12 hours and 31 minutes
  • Boat lost its steering south-east of Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands
  • All five rowers were plucked from the ocean just 150 miles into trip
By Bill Caven
PUBLISHED: 03:58 EST, 16 November 2013 | UPDATED: 10:37 EST, 16 November 2013

Rescue: Captain Calamity Roy Finlay, pictured, had to be plucked to safety just 150 miles into his latest world record-breaking attempt

Life on the ocean wave has previously landed him in hot water.
Now the latest nautical adventure by the Scot dubbed Captain Calamity has, unsurprisingly, left him and four others high and dry.
For Roy Finlay and his international crew had to be rescued just three days into their world record-breaking attempt to row 3,000 miles across the Atlantic from the Canaries to Barbados in the Caribbean.
Yesterday, after covering just 150 miles in their bid to beat the current world record of 31 days, 12 hours and 31 minutes, they had to be plucked to safety.
The five-strong team of rowers – led by Finlay, who is originally from Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire and fellow Brit, Mike Palmer from Manchester – were rescued by a helicopter from the Spanish Maritime Rescue Service.
Their multihull boat Barracuda lost its steering south-east of Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands, from where they only left on Tuesday.
All five were lifted from the stormy waters, including German Mario Ludwig from Hamburg, Ernst Fitby, from Vienna, and Spaniard Juame Vallori from Majorca.
Spanish authorities described them to be in good health after they were flown to Tenerife Airport.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 14:14   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

nice!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 17:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Men overboard

Sounds more like they need to learn to row...
Thanks for the update Cormorant...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 04:50   #5

Hope they have 'Emergency evac coverage"! With Spain basically bankrupt...I'd be expecting a bill.
Brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:15   #6

Considering that he has needed multiple rescues in the past, I think a hefty bill is well deserved. I believe this is his 11th or 12th rescue now. Frankly, were I in charge of such things, I would simply tell him that the next time he puts to sea he is on his own--don't call for a rescue, because we're not going to come.

I know. A bunch of people will whine about how cruel-hearted I must be to say something like that. Fine. Go ahead. As far as I'm concerned, he has used up his quota of rescue services.

And anyone else who would be willing to go to sea with this guy has got to be a complete idiot!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, overboard