Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-02-2017, 16:17   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Med marinas that are Cat friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I recently did some shopping for a permanent berth in the western Med. She is currently in Sardinia, but thats expensive outside the winter season and not that easy / cheap to reach during winter (but way better than most of greece).

Plus we favour Tapas & Allioli over Pizza & Pasta. So I looked at all ports within 100nm of mallorca.

Price differences are shocking, I have been quoted all over the place from 3800 Euro per annum to 4 times as much.

Denia is currently taking the lead @ 16500 Euro per annum. My first boat came with a month of free mooring in Denia so I know that marina quite well: their bollards are are just ordinary steel without any gold and their service is just average. No clue what they are thinking.

Even Marinas in the same city can be very different, like Valencia where the Club Nautico RCNV charges 180% of what Marina "Juan Carlos I" charges.

I have not yet finished my tire kicking but the bottom line is: Do your wallet a favour and shop around!
Thats quite a price range! Amazing what one skipper will pay vs another for basically the same facilities.

If you are focusing on western med now then did you try the southern parts of France? ie around cannet en rousillion and thereabouts - catana and others are based there so quite a few cat berths, good technical support and they were the cheapest for a cat i found in France.

Plus the food is better (best of both worlds of spanish and french cooking being near the border)

Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 22:53   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

I recently got a price for Marina in Bodrum, Turkey, then another in maramis (Yeloya, forum member runs one there).

Maramis was significantly cheaper, and whilst I havn't seen it/used it yet, Yeloya was great to deal with initially by mail, had no problem with Cats (both vessel and feline variety), or liveaboards.

Regards

Catapault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 14:42   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Thats quite a price range! Amazing what one skipper will pay vs another for basically the same facilities.

If you are focusing on western med now then did you try the southern parts of France? ie around cannet en rousillion and thereabouts - catana and others are based there so quite a few cat berths, good technical support and they were the cheapest for a cat i found in France.

Plus the food is better (best of both worlds of spanish and french cooking being near the border)
no, I haven't looked at France. My wife says I am "francophob"!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18   #19

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Cartagena - Spain
Carloforte - Sardinia
Lefkas - Greece

These are ones I've found so far that don't charge extra for catamarans.

The marina's I contacted in Malta want to charge 1.5x so too the marina in Siracusa. I can understand it for a big 7m beamy monster, but for something with same beam as a 13m mono, it's a bit of a rip-off, they should just charge the mono price.

Even worse is when places like Portocolom only charge 19 for a mooring ball for an 11m, but want 32 for a 10.5 catamaran even though the cat is lighter, so can use a smaller mooring, and has a shallower draft. Width isn't an issue on the bouys as they all have plenty of space around them. Pure profiteering.
mikedefieslife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Cartagena - Spain
Carloforte - Sardinia
Lefkas - Greece

The marina's I contacted in Malta want to charge 1.5x so too the marina in Siracusa. I can understand it for a big 7m beamy monster, but for something with same beam as a 13m mono, it's a bit of a rip-off, they should just charge the mono price.

Even worse is when places like Portocolom only charge 19 for a mooring ball for an 11m, but want 32 for a 10.5 catamaran even though the cat is lighter, so can use a smaller mooring, and has a shallower draft. Width isn't an issue on the bouys as they all have plenty of space around them. Pure profiteering.
I just don't go to those that charge 1.5x monohull rates.
One exception is MRJC Valencia, who do charge 1.5x monohull rate. But they have a standard rate year round, which makes them the most affordable marina during high season even after this 1.5x nonsense.

I shop around for longer stays between vacations over the year and especially for winter storage, and I just don't do any short stays at all (unless really nasty weather is approaching).
Old 11-09-2017, 19:17   #21

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Cartagena - Spain
Carloforte - Sardinia
Lefkas - Greece

All we can do as cat owners is tell places like portocolom to F%$K OFF!!!. Vote with our feet or as more cats are built this kind of thing will become the norm!
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 19:50   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

The last marina I stayed at in the Med was Marmaris, Turkey. If I was going to leave my boat in the Med, I would leave it at Finke, Turkey. Very affordable, nice marina, and they have a good haul out facility.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:50   #23

Boat: FP "Maldives" 32

I got a "same as monohull" deal at Port Bara, Roda de Bara, Taragona for winter 17/18. very helpful staff too.
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:54   #24

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post
I got a "same as monohull" deal at Port Bara, Roda de Bara, Taragona for winter 17/18. very helpful staff too.
Good to know.

BTW, we need cross Lefkada off the list. From next year they will charge 50% extra for all catamarans.

Currently they do not charge extra for catamarans, but neither do they they give catamarans the 20% winter discount for upfront payment. I'm not sure if they when start charging that 50% if they will then give the 20% discount. I very much doubt it though.

Do Marmaris and Finke charge extra? Particularly keen to hear about these two marinas in general as could be possible wintering destinations for next year.
mikedefieslife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 05:48   #25

Marina Sant Carles de la Rapita / Spain:

I don't know what factor they charge but they charged us ~25 per night for short stay last week. Not bad.

They have a dry storage package (lift, pressure wash, 6 month storage, launch) @ 195 per m LOA. No difference between mono and cats so our 380 is around 2250 for 6 month. Additional months are 375 .

Tags
marinas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: