Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2008, 14:58   #1

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!
Maybe not a bad deal.

With the euro now at a high against the $ a brand new Antares 44i is now less then 500K euro. Keeping in mind that the boat comes loaded that should make it an interesting proposition for european buyers. What is the general consensus here on this boat? I did a search here on this forum but I did not find very much info. Personaly I would like something bigger but it seems that this boat has a lot of room for it's 44ft.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:07   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Erik, the previous builder (PDQ yachts) had a reputation for high quality construction and virtually incomparable service. Unfortunately, they went into receivership late last year. I would recommend that you read some of the previous threads concerning the PDQ bankruptcy before putting down a deposit.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Erik, the previous builder (PDQ yachts) had a reputation for high quality construction and virtually incomparable service. Unfortunately, they went into receivership late last year. I would recommend that you read some of the previous threads concerning the PDQ bankruptcy before putting down a deposit.

Brad
Thanks for the warning but untill we sell our house nothing goes. The way I read it only the PDQ part was sold off and Antares went on as a new company. But because of the exchange rate I was looking what boats are available build in the US/Canada and this was one that came up.
Old 14-03-2008, 17:11   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Agreed, Erik. And the Antares 44 is a terrific boat if they maintain the same quality of construction/equipment. There is good bridgedeck clearance (I believe 30 inches) and a terrific interior designed for an owner and guests, rather than for the Charter industry. The galley down is extremely well finished and places the heaviest part of the accomodation down, where it belongs in order to keep the center of gravity low. It has not gone with a 'flying bridge' in the way that Lagoon has with some of their new designs, keeping both the weight lower and the center of effort of the rig low. While emphasizing accomodation and comfort over performance, it nevertheless should have a good turn of speed and be capable of handling the loads that so many long-distance cruisers put into their boats.

The only issue, as I say, is the solvency of the new company. Subject to visiting their new facility (and having confidence in the experience of their new labour force), I would have no hesitation in buying a completed boat. I would, however, be extremely nervous about paying Antares during the course of construction unless the money was kept in escrow pending delivery of a vessel that passes a rigid inspection/sea trial.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 18:16   #5

I think it would be fair to compare it with a Privilege 445 (owner version)as a european counter part, you would save a lot of money going with the Antares, it comes fully fitted out vs basic boat for roughly the same amount of dollars. Again, I'm not in the market yet, just trying to figure out to a way to make the exchange rate work in my favor by exploring boats build on a dollar basis.
Old 15-03-2008, 04:05   #6

Boat: Catana 471
Hi Erik - I think the Antares 44 is a really good product - but not having sailed one. Very nice level of finish. Very few on the aftermarket - I know because I was on the lookout for one for a long time. I like the galley down arrangement, but not all folks do. Shaft drives with engine weight where you want it (downside of this - engines in the living spaces). Definitely geared for owners, not charter service. My only criticism of the boat is that it's well, er, sorta ugly on the outside - even for a cat. Looks too much like PDQ's power cats. Once inside, this can be easily overlooked IMHO.

I sincerely hope the new ownership is successful.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 06:13   #7

Boat: 1996 PDQ 36
Hi Erik,

As a PDQ 36 owner I can tell you that they certainly were a great company, and that they really cared about the product. The last Antares is now being finished by former PDQ workers up in Ontario. I know that all the former PDQ workers didn't want to see the purchaser get screwed just because the company went under, and they've really bent over backward to help the guy.

That said, I agree with Dave. The only downside is that it's ugly, even by catamaran standards. But hell, if I wanted pretty I'd be sailing a Swan or a Morris...

The upside of the ugliness is that it has insane bridgedeck clearance. Higher than almost anyone else.

I know some of the people involved in the new company, and they're all really great. The new boats will be made in Taiwan and they hope to have the first ones done by the end of the year. I hope that the Taiwan construction works out for them. There is a pretty well-developed industry there, with Tayana and several other pretty good manufacturers, so we'll see.

Brendan
chicagocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 12:36   #8

By now I have read just about everything there is to find about this boat on the internet and I have to admit that I'm impressed. Like 2hulls said, not the best looking cat on the outside but what matters more is the inside. The best dog I ever had was the ugliest mutt in a 200 mile radius. Lets hope the company makes it.
Old 15-03-2008, 14:05   #9

Boat: currently a power boat :(
I visited the PDQ Antares 44 at the Miami boat show and I have to say it was my favorite boat there. My fiance wants the galley up but after being on the PDQ and seeing how much larger the galley/storage and salon become in that configuration she has converted and the PDQ became her new favorite. I am 6'3" and I felt very comfortable on every part of the boat. I didn't get to go on a test sail but I would assume the light wind performance would suffer from weight and windage, although the broker told me otherwise, stating PDQ is short for Pretty Darn Quick .

I agree with Dave it is ugly exterior wise but not a factor for me. When you are on/in the boat you don't see your boats profile anyway. In my opinion how it looks is not as important as how comfortable you feel.

It will be interesting to see how the move to Taiwan works out.
Old 15-03-2008, 16:11   #10

I also saw them at the miami boat show, there service i recived on that boat was far from polite but it is what it is, they had a attitude that theres was the best out there. I do wish other cats would pick up the galley down feature.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 17:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I also saw them at the miami boat show, there service i recived on that boat was far from polite but it is what it is, they had a attitude that theres was the best out there. I do wish other cats would pick up the galley down feature.
That's unfortunate, the impression I got was that their attitude toward customers was very good.
Old 15-03-2008, 17:19   #12

My experience was different with the PDQ people. Randall may be speaking of the used PDQ (yellow hulls) with a broker (he was friendly too), but I am not sure. The second time we walked the boat it was crowded and I had a few questions not answered but wouldn't suggest they were impolite, just busy.
Old 15-03-2008, 17:37   #13

Nope didn’t see a yellow one, (he was friendly too), have no idea what this means but ok. It was later in the day , and the boat was not crowded at this time. It could have been because they were tired or because I am some what young but if that’s the case one shouldn’t assume younger i.e. 34 = no money which is how they acted but that’s why there are other boats out there .
Old 15-03-2008, 17:45   #14

Yeah pre-qualifying is a nasty habit for the sales arena. What day were you there? There were 2 PDQs next to each other on Saturday. The one with yellow hulls was a used one listed by Bluewater Brokers, i believe, from North Carolina.

I was there with my 24 yr old fiance, maybe thats why I received some attention .
Old 16-03-2008, 09:08   #15

I tried to walk on the new one but i will have to remeber that last part good idea.. They are very nice boats but that first impression was a pain.