Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2008, 16:03   #16

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!
This is something that puzzels me and frightens me a bit. These people were rearing to go cruising and put a lot of time and effort into their boat (dream) yet a short time later it seems to be all over.

2006 PDQ Antares Boat For Sale

2007 PDQ Antares 44i Boat For Sale
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 16:13   #17

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Hard to say why a person sells their new boat. I suspect some of the reasons could be financial (probably a big one in todays market), health, or just want something different. A month after I bought my 2007 Regal powerboat I wish I would have bought something else or nothing, doesn't mean I dislike the boat just would do it differently.
Old 17-03-2008, 16:47   #18

I assume that you don't buy a boat like this on a whim, I can't speak for anybody else but in my case it takes a long time of carefull planning etc. before commiting to a boat and the expenditure. I realy hope this is not the case here but "health" problems seem to be a general exuse. I know for a fact that selling my boat the agent alleged health problems but there was nothing wrong with me.
Old 17-03-2008, 17:05   #19

Boat: currently a power boat :(
I agree it is a long and researched process when making such a large purchase. The only way to know is speaking directly to the owners, short of that we are only left to speculate . It does raise some questions. If you are serious about buying a PDQ I am sure you would do your own due diligence and find out these reasons.....
Old 17-03-2008, 18:55   #20
cruiser

There is a school of thought that solid decks aren't safe offshore, as wind can lift them and water can't drain through them. Some take this to the point that they want to have nets that are at least 50% open. I saw a photo of an upside down tri on Guam once. It had a lot of solid deck. It had been turned over in a typhoon (while in harbor,) but then Guam gets the worst typhoons in the world. I was there for a couple in 1979-1980. I thought people would come to blows over the best places to stash their boats.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 18:58   #21
cruiser

"I know for a fact that selling my boat the agent alleged health problems but there was nothing wrong with me." Eric, maybe he was psychic. How do you feel? Are you sure? --Actually, I have seen lots of people bail out of voyaging due to sheer loss of nerve. It's a big, empty ocean when you are on the "Left coast" of the US. Hawaii is just a little bunch of specks in the middle, and it's 2300 NM from here.
Old 17-03-2008, 19:08   #22

I'm fine, we had to sell the boat for finacial reasons. We had a survey done but after a few months it turned out that repairing all the problems that turned up would simply cost to much money. We decided to cut our losses and get rid of the boat. This time we'll get an as good as new boat to avoid making the same mistake. You get what you pay for.
Old 18-03-2008, 17:25   #23
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I agree with Big Cat - there are a ton of reasons to sell a virtually new boat and I have heard nothing to suggest that the design/construction of the Antares 44 was in any way defective. I wonder if the yellow boat was the one featured in an article in Cruising World on PDQU (the school that PDQ ran for new buyers)? I say that because the purchasers were moving up from a C&C 25 - quite a jump, and they had zero cruising experience. In addition, the economy in the US right now is - lets just say, bordering on a disaster.

In any case, there are still very few on the market and to my knowledge, no horror stories or even highly critical reports. On the contrary, the factory in Whitby, Ontario was about 50 km. from my office and the two former employees I have spoken to expressed real pride in the product they were producing, and a belief that PDQ was a victim of the dramatic rise in the Canadian dollar against its American counterpart. The asking prices for these used boats (despite the loss of their respective warranties) certainly speaks to them being sold at something other than the 'fire sale' conditions one would expect from a manufacturer that has just gone bankrupt.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:00   #24

"I agree with Big Cat - there are a ton of reasons to sell a virtually new boat "

That's exactly what is puzzeling me, as I'm sure there is absolutly nothing wrong with those boats.
Old 18-03-2008, 20:17   #25
cruiser

I wouldn't pick a boat with a solid bridgedeck right forward where most cats have trams for voyaging offshore, due to the wind, water, and weight forward issues. That said, most yachts never go offshore, but then, most yachts are rarely used even on weekends and vacations.
Old 19-03-2008, 05:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I wouldn't pick a boat with a solid bridgedeck right forward where most cats have trams for voyaging offshore, due to the wind, water, and weight forward issues. That said, most yachts never go offshore, but then, most yachts are rarely used even on weekends and vacations.
That's a design issue and not likely to cause a last minute change of hart as it will have come up much earlier. The only reasons I can come up with are a sudden change of health, financial disaster and family reasons. A sudden case of the "jitters", fear of the big blue yonder etc. I find higly unlikely. I can think of tons of good reasons to go cruising but not to give it up after you are all set and ready to go.
Old 19-03-2008, 09:42   #27
cruiser

Turning back - here be dragons

"A sudden case of the jitters, fear of the big blue yonder etc. I find higly unlikely. I can think of tons of good reasons to go cruising but not to give it up after you are all set and ready to go" - I remember one story in which a couple actually set out and then turned back from a couple of hundred miles out. Fear and / or seasickness make sum people turn back. The lack of a tramp comment wasn't meant to address the reason why some turn back.
Old 19-03-2008, 09:50   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Erik,

While at the boat show all you had to do was look around. See the homes on the water. Many people like this do buy on a whim. They
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 09:51   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
can afford to. Their life cannot be compared to reality. At least as most of us know reality.....LOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 12:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
... A sudden case of the "jitters", fear of the big blue yonder etc. I find highly unlikely. I can think of tons of good reasons to go cruising but not to give it up after you are all set and ready to go.
Every cruising venue has a wannabe’s graveyard*; where dreams (yours or your partner’s) meet reality – and plans change.

- The Cruise ends.
- One partner goes “home”.

* ie: Georgetown, Bahamas, where some people (often wives) choose to take the elevator.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote