Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 23:23   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: May Commissioning in France - La Rochelle / Les Sables D'Ollone

Great stuff Jeff. Jen and I are heading to France this Thursday for a month before we take delivery. Drop us an email if you need anything.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 00:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Congratulations! i know very well the Lagoon 400, in the past i delivered several units
cw2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 08:41   #18

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

When I picked up my cat it was my first experience with catamarans and although I had extensive blue water experience it was with monohulls. I hired a captain so as to have a learning experience. Through Nick Irving of Reliance I hired Nicolas Bouttleloup of New Rochelle; young, energetic, accomplished and an excellent chef. It was a great experience for me and my two sons, I highly recommend Nicolas if any of you need a captain.
Enjoy the experience.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 08:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: May Commissioning in France - La Rochelle / Les Sables D'Ollone

Hey Rob.. Congratulations on the new 'Sephina'... fast work my man.. seems only yesterday I was sailing your old one away from Bari..
Safe travels and if your in Fig da Foz and I'm not in foreign parts we can grab a beer..
Hugz to Jen and pat the dawg on the head for me.. lol.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 19:46   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hi
We are off to Les Sables in May 5th to receive our new L400. After a few days there we will head to La Rochelle to have solar panels, inverter, batteries and watermaker fitted. From there hopping across to Spain and Portugal before departing for the Canaries and Caribbean, probbaly with the Atlantic Odyssey late November.
Is anyone else around Les Sables / La Rochelle around the same time? We can catch up for a etc.
Monte
I'm picking up up to deliver to Toronto and will be there May 12th - ish....

Just this week taking another Aussie's cat up from BVI to Florida for shipment to Brisbane then trying to squeeze in another one from BVI to New York before flying over to France. I'll look out for you! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 15:58   #21
TPF

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hi Django, we will probably see you in Les Sables, our boat is hull 386, named Sephina. Come say hi if we dont see you first!

Will keep in touch with you Dennis and Katia and Marina, yes it will be the three of us and 2 extra crew for the Atlantic crossing. Take a look at the Atlantic Odyssey to cross with if you are interested. The cost is half if you have children on board so at 250 euro its a pretty good deal considering it includes 1 week berthing beforehand, tours/activities, half price haul outs, safety and weather seminars and yellowbrick tracking etc. Hopefully we will see you later in the year!

Congratulations as well Tad! We will definitely catch up for a beer in La Rochelle. We will probably arrive there around the 10th and head to the Uchimata dock for some works to be completed for a couple of weeks. Let me know if you have any questions about the process as we did it all 2 years ago as well. Some details on our blog at Sephina

JeffOC is also picking up a new FP a couple of weeks before you. From our experience at La Rochelle if you are taking a new FP delivery, plan on staying there a few weeks to get everything sorted. There are also local skippers available if you feel the need for some tuition motoring/docking/sailing etc.

Monte

Hi Monte, thanks for the link to your blog for Sephina...... Enjoyed reading it! Time is getting short now, our boat Bisou will be launched mid next week on the 16th. Unfortunately we can't be there as we are counting our precious "Schengen" days and will not be in La Rochelle until 8 May. We certainly will be in the same area preparing our boats at the same time.

We too are having additional work done by Uchimata that is meant to be finished by the 8th..... we shall see how that goes!' Pierre is installing a water maker and Raymarine gear for us. We have already done most of our shopping for marine equip or general boat and galley etc equip on our last trip to LR. Largest single item we have to install there is our solar system which I've been working on for some time getting the components ready to go. Exciting now that we are down to about a three week wait!

In reading your Sephina blog, we noticed Balrog your massive German Shepard..... we were wondering how much of a drama a big dog like that is for you on the boat. We have a chocolate lab that is a water dog and with us on the beaches and our small boats here in Port Stephens, which is easy. I would appreciate knowing a little about your experience with Balrog and traveling on the boat, with immigration, quarantine, customs etc, to say nothing of moving him back to Oz in between your two different boats? Kind of a long winded question, but we are hating to give up our lab....just wondering how you went with this?

Guess we will see you soon along with Jeff on the other Helia! All the best!

Cheers, tad
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 07:51   #22
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Tad,
Balrog is a French dog born and bred, and so far we have just traveled around Europe with him, which has been no problem. He loves life on board and loves to get his paws wet as soon as the anchor drops as well. When we go to Aus he stays with Jen's Mum in France. This year he will be on board full time though till we sail back to Aus. As far as I can tell he shouldn't have any issues with clearing into countries except Galapogas he would be confined to the boat, so we might skip there, and Australia will require quarantine up to 3 months but maybe 1 month depending on where we sail from and how long we were there. Apparently quarantine can be done onboard, so we could anchor somwhere and have a vet visit once a week for 4 weeks till he has the all clear to meet some kangaroos.
The other option is to sail via NZ where they have a one week quarantine and if we are there 3 months, no quarantine on returning to Australia.
See you in La Rochelle, I guess Jeff is collecting his new home this week as well. BTW, we will probably have our car in La Rochelle so feel free to borrow it for supply trips etc so long as you don't mind driving on the wrong side of the road!
Old 16-04-2014, 10:07   #23

Hopefully we will be in Les Sables mid July for a month or so sorting out a new Lagoon 450 - boat name will be Tagwild..so if anyone is there still please say hi..
markv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:50   #24

We have a delivery date of 28 July for Tagwild, and I am trying to organise getting stuff shipped to the boat to install, in conjunction with the dealer doing some of the stuff we need. The main problem is getting the Lithium Ion battery banks there, as I don't want to pay the VAT on it. Since the boat will not be registered for VAT - we are heading out to Caribbean and onwards to Philippines, no intention of staying in Europe, does anyone know how to get products delivered to the marina without paying the VAT?..Is there anyone there in Sable-d'Olonne that can receive, sort out paperwork and store ready to go on the boat for when we arrive?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Mark, Im not sure about importing and avoiding VAT. Usually you can buy goods VAT free and the suppliers can handle the paperwork for you. Its probably worth asking SAS (they commission the Lagoons) and I know they can holld items in their store room for you. Also you could ask Eric Marine there. They are a good supplier, can communicate in English and may be able to help out as well.
Bienvenue sur le site de ERIC MARINE !
Sailing Atlantic Services - Homepage*>*Home
I would suggest buying the batteries in Europe may be the best option.
Also it may be worth your while to sail South to LA Rochelle to have some items fitted and for purchasing. HomePage at La Rochelle is very helpful and Pierre at Uchimata UCHIMATA SAILING SERVICE - Pr?paration de bateaux - Entretien - Installation d??quipements can help with any installations and probably with the batteries as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:21   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: May Commissioning in France - La Rochelle / Les Sables D'Ollone

Quote:
Originally Posted by markv View Post
We have a delivery date of 28 July for Tagwild, and I am trying to organise getting stuff shipped to the boat to install, in conjunction with the dealer doing some of the stuff we need. The main problem is getting the Lithium Ion battery banks there, as I don't want to pay the VAT on it. Since the boat will not be registered for VAT - we are heading out to Caribbean and onwards to Philippines, no intention of staying in Europe, does anyone know how to get products delivered to the marina without paying the VAT?..Is there anyone there in Sable-d'Olonne that can receive, sort out paperwork and store ready to go on the boat for when we arrive?
The normal process to my memory is you pay VAT on all your purchases then apply for the rebate locally before you sail.. the money is then paid into your account 3 months later. Usually done at the Harbour Master/Customs office..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:26   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Monte, David(StarryHorizons) and Jeffrey Oc,
Congratulations to you all and enjoy your new boats.. A very exciting time. My wife and I picked up our new He'lia 44 'The Larrikin' from La Rochelle last Arpil,sailed over to La Coruna and down the Spanish/Portugese west coast to then spend the summer in the western Med, mainly the Balearics, then across to Sardinia, Corsica, West coast of Italy then a five day non stop sail across to Marmaris, Turkey.We hauled out there(Albatross Marina), for six months for their winter to return home for our family/friends fix.
A wonderful adventure and this year we explore Turkey, Greece and Croatia. Sailing then to the Canaries by early November to cross the Atlantic, so we may meet up around that area. We plan to haul the boat again in St Martin for our return time back in Oz to then return in 2015 to expore the Caribbean.
Any questions on the journey or the Helia please ask.

Enjoy
Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:39   #28

Yes..figured that might be the case about VAT...Since we are picking up the boat on 28 July, will allow for a week of provisioning and purchase of a few extras, we will sail down to Gibraltar and see if we can have everything delivered there..no VAT... Everyone will be on holiday in August anyway..

We want to get a stainless steel array made up for 6 solar panels, so I am hoping we can get a good fabricator in Gibraltar to make them up before we get there. Hoping that there are some workers still around in Gib..or do they go on holiday en masse like everyone else?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:11   #29

The problem is that we just cannot get the batteries we want in Europe, at least as far as I can tell. We want to buy 1400Ah of Lithium Ion, in the form of 8 x 700Ah cells - Balqon supply them at around $3500 each, with shipping of about $300 for both. The Victron inverter charger we will have installed by Robin Marine I think, but they may not have that much experience with LiOn. We would prefer to get going to Gib and to Canaries earlier in August when everyone is on holiday in Spain and France anyway, and get work done on the way or while we are waiting for the crossing..the solar panels we will try and get in Europe, but again we may have no choice but to ship in the ones we really want (Sunpower X21 345W panels.)
We can also make the stainless steel array here in Philippines where I am based and just ship it by ship to Gibraltar as I have a few months to do it..

Trying to time things and allow for possible problems on the way..
Old 01-05-2014, 15:58   #30

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

I shipped a lot of stuff in 2012 for my boat to SAS to "my boat name" with Yacht-inTransit on the paper work. They did not charge me VAT when I got my two pallets worth of stuff. I also ordered from Germany with the same shipping details. No VAT again. We did pay VAT in the marine stores.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
France