Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 00:12   #1

Maxim catamaran?

Would like to hear some opinions on the 38ft Maxim catamarans , don't fund to much info on them.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
namdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 04:28   #2

Boat: Simonis 50
Re: Maxim catamaran ? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdes View Post
Would like to hear some opinions on the 38ft Maxim catamarans , don't fund to much info on them.

Maxim yachts were based in Durban, South Africa but have since closed down. The 38' Maxim catamaran is a Alexander Simonis (www.simonis-voogd.com) design. I visited their factory around 2004, met the company owner who spend a number of hours taking us through the first 38' catamaran they were building. I was highly impressed with what they were doing and the quality and manufacturing standards surpassed all the other boatyards I visited at the time. Unfortunately, the Maxim 38 was too small for our requirements.

They manufactured a number of Maxim 38's over a 2/3 year period and then closed down. With stiff competition and cheaper alternatives, I suspect that the money they were putting into their yachts was difficult to recoup.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 05:29   #3

Re: Maxim catamaran?

Thanks for the info , very helpfull.

Old 27-06-2016, 03:11   #4

Boat: LAGOON 440

Hi Namdes,
Fifty-three Maxim 380’s were built before the factory closed down in May 2007. We currently own hull number 21. She was sailed from Durban to NZ across the top of Australia in 2003/4. The surveyor we used when we purchased her considered her to be well built solid boat, and she has served us well for the last 5 years. She has skeg mounted rudders (i.e. well protected) and can comfortably be left to sit on the bottom when the tide goes out (not that we do this often). Anything specific you would like to know?
The only major work we have done is to improve the insulation for the freezer. On inspection the insulation at the front end was only about 5 cm thick, and we increased this to 12 cm by reducing the size of the freezer box.

Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 07:32   #5

Thanks Savanna , well I see 2 advertised and nr 1 wasn't sure about build quality, was looking at 40 ft and not sure how big she is inside compared to a example a leopard 40 , and how she handles big seas , not the most experienced so to sail from east of Africa to Asia might be a bit much for an inexperienced sailor like me.

Old 05-07-2016, 13:07   #6

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I was buying a maxim 40 but lost the money on it and next round got a leopard 40.

The maxim was a solid boat if taken care of.

I prefer the motors being outside and not under the beds. I also prefer the back cabins with the owners head up front not in the rear like the maxim

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 17:02   #7

Tks , all very good points

Old 18-03-2019, 07:47   #8

Hi all, like other people wh9 have responded on this question (re Maxim cats), I am currently living in South Africa and am considering buying a Maxim38. I believe they are built using polyester resin rather than epoxy?? Shame, eh!
Care to comment and or to namdes, did you finally buy a Maxim? If not was ther a reason or simply a better deal came along...
Thank you for your responses
bushytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 19:36   #9

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Just posted info. about Simmons Maxim cat.as I am about to install new engines and want info. as to the best way to do this .Anyone out there have done this .Cheers Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 20:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytales View Post
Hi all, like other people wh9 have responded on this question (re Maxim cats), I am currently living in South Africa and am considering buying a Maxim38. I believe they are built using polyester resin rather than epoxy?? Shame, eh!
Care to comment and or to namdes, did you finally buy a Maxim? If not was ther a reason or simply a better deal came along...
Thank you for your responses
ehhh..name any mass-produced cats built with epoxy resin?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 23:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdes View Post

Hi...I am an Aussie currently living in the western cape SA. Have owned several catamarans whilst living in Australia. ALL used epoxy resins in their construction.
I have been staggered to discover that the catamarans being built here in SA , even today, continue to be built using polyester of different types - but still polyester! In asking why, I am told COST.
I continue to be amazed that large scale manufacturers of these catamarans continue to use poly....just be careful in what vessel you buy as regardless of what you might be told, polyester cannot compare with EPOXY in terms of strength, durability, how long it will last, water ingress, etc, etc.
best wishes
bushytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 00:27   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

I surveyed a Maxim 380 this year and found her very well built.
Not sure what the problem is with polyester boats. By far most boats afloat would be built out of polyester resin. The oldest polyester boat I have surveyed was built in the 1960s and still going strong.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:17   #13

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Had mine for 14 years .For the last 12 years have used it daily doing charters and can’t say enough about how good it’s performed .Still looks very good and sails well .
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

This is the same boat as the admiral 38? The admirals built first, I believe. Seem to have a fairly low bridgedeck clearance, but not as bad as some of the SA cats. The reviews by others here lead me to believe the Maxim were better built and finished than the Admiral.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:49   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
This is the same boat as the admiral 38? The admirals built first, I believe. Seem to have a fairly low bridgedeck clearance, but not as bad as some of the SA cats. The reviews by others here lead me to believe the Maxim were better built and finished than the Admiral.

I believe the Maxim is the same design as the Voyage 38. Maxim is a Simonis design and the Admiral a Lavranos design.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, maxi