Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 23:54   #31

Re: Maverick 440

Just to add some balance and fairness to this, I too have had a long hard look at the Maverick 440. I had a test sail in Cape Town with Rudi on Rosanne #15 courtesy of Mark the owner who was on also on board.

Rudi is frank and honest about the issues pertaining to Andando. It's not my place to go into them save to say it put my mind at ease.

I think a true testament to the Maverick is that a current owner is selling his early production 400 to purchase a 440 at a later stage as his cruising plans were delayed.

I've spent a long time looking for my ideal cruising yacht. Only to discover what most of you already know, that there is no one ideal yacht.

The Maverick 440 is not the most modern looking cat but it certainly has a character of its own. There are a few things that I have seen on other cats that I prefer but more importantly, in my mind, there are a number of features and specs that I do prefer on the Maverick. As my significant other stated after spending time on a number of different cats, "The Maverick is the one that feels most like a home". The performance for a cruising cat is more than adequate. It's also a lot of boat for its size and price when you compare apples with apples.

Maverick is not a high volume manufacturer, preferring to customise each yacht to the owner's spec and taste. However their production for the next couple of years is all pretty much spoken for. I've reserved hull #23.

There's a few things that I would like to have changed (and not just little things), true to form Rudi is quite happy to accommodate those changes where ever he can. Each time an owner comes up with a good idea he incorporates it into future builds, seeing them as improvements.

Nic Steyn

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kajali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 23:08   #32

Hi,I had to take a break from all the negativity,but something in the wind tells me it's time to be back.I am pleased someone shared my video and I hope it has saved a few from the same fate as me .I am not sure if you have purchased yet ? The Maverick appealed to us because of the large volume and well planned interior space and we still enjoy this space ( even surrounded by all the cracks ) !BUT and it is a very big but - those open spaces and huge windows and doors come at a cost of strength.My Maverick was ordered to comply to NZ standards as I was going to charter it.This process involved applying for NZ design approval .So the original design was sent to the designer in NZ ( who so happeneds to have worked on some of the past Americas cup boats ) .The design was sent back with a whole lot of strength concerns and requirements .One of which was the increase in the main ring frame diameter.Even after all the strengthening the design "barely meets New Zealand Standards" or similar wording was used by the inspector .Part of the requirements were also to appoint a NZ approved surveyor to oversea the construction.All part of the build contract .So what went so badly wrong ? Well,at the last minute after the surveyor had been organised Rudi decided to not go ahead with the surveyor due to "lack of funds " ! Unfortunately I was not informed of this until almost completion ! So right there ,I lost my insurance and quality control ( without knowing until it was too late) .Andando cracked on the maiden voyage and this has been well reported on other blog sites .The interior paint used was simple house paint applied with a brush and roller and it all failed Most of the faults are in the video .
My tips are
I would only buy from a large manufacturer as if you have a problem they may at least have some finance to rectify.I was promised a new boat at one stage but that pig flew over very quickly !
I would buy a 2/3 yr old boat that has been on a large voyage already and had everything done .If you really want a Maverick then I would stipulate Built to NZ specs and you may find it strong enough ?Regarding other Mavericks with stress cracks ? To protect their investments I have never named the boats but I know of at least 4 .Finally ,because Rudi/ Maverick tried to stop me going public by sending me legal threats .....All of this is only my opinion .
Andando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 23:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I don't think he's out enjoying Andando. He's selling it for whatever anyone is willing to offer.

2011 Maverick 400 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Yes,we are enjoying it - as long as I don't look at all the cracks and blistered paint ! Oh ,but of course Rudi would have everyone believe this was all fixed eh? Instead of falling for a well rehearsed sales pitch ( 4 yrs since that video was done) buyers please ask to read the NZ designers report and the NZ surveyors report - then you will start to understand.
Old 22-11-2019, 11:28   #34

Boat: Hanse 348

I am wondering if anyone has more information on the Maverick. I just watched this video

and this boat hits lots of my main points.

I am NOT looking to do anything more than coastal cruising. I do want my boat to be like a summer home that I can stay on for several weeks at a time. Maybe spend a day going to a harbor, staying 2 or 3 days, moving to another harbor, staying a week. All sailing would be point to point during the day. So the comfort of the boat is critical, and this boat looks to tick off most of the boxes.

I am looking for a boat that I can sail by myself, and is EASY to sail myself.

What happened to Andando from what I read is a travesty. The question I have is, 'is this an anomaly'? Is this something where they just screwed up THIS particular boat, or does Maverick have a big issue with quality control?

How many boats have they built, and are the other owners questioning things and having issues?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 11:51   #35

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

I am NOT looking to do anything more than coastal cruising. I do want my boat to be like a summer home that I can stay on for several weeks at a time. Maybe spend a day going to a harbor, staying 2 or 3 days, moving to another harbor, staying a week. All sailing would be point to point during the day. So the comfort of the boat is critical, and this boat looks to tick off most of the boxes.

What happened to Andando from what I read is a travesty. The question I have is, 'is this an anomaly'? Is this something where they just screwed up THIS particular boat, or does Maverick have a big issue with quality control?

How many boats have they built, and are the other owners questioning things and having issues?
Your requirements are obviously different. Andando was always going to struggle, taking a catamaran designed for gentle tradewind sailing and messing around in the Caribbean, and trying to get it certified to NZ standards for charter. A very different set of demands on a boat. Not to say that that boat isn't obviously badly built, but I think the expectations placed on it didn't help.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 15:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am wondering if anyone has more information on the Maverick. I just watched this video

and this boat hits lots of my main points.

I asked this question on a YouTube video review of the Maverick by CruisingOffDuty

He took the trouble to look into this and gave a long answer to the questions raised by that one owner. Doesn't seem to be replicated by other owners
paul28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 18:01   #37

Exclamation Re: Maverick 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Your requirements are obviously different. Andando was always going to struggle, taking a catamaran designed for gentle tradewind sailing and messing around in the Caribbean, and trying to get it certified to NZ standards for charter. A very different set of demands on a boat. Not to say that that boat isn't obviously badly built, but I think the expectations placed on it didn't help.

Hmmm, I don't think that is accurate. From what little I've seen, Maverick doesn't market the 400/440 as you describe....a boat for "gentle tradewind sailing and messing around in the Caribbean". They market them as a world crusiers. They claim, "Maverick Catamarans are ideal for owners who wish to sail around the world independently". In my mind, that implies some really high expectations.

I'm really disappointed after seeing the Andando video. I was starting to think the 440 to be the boat for us. Not anymore, at least not a new one.
FlightOfSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 22:06   #38

Maverick 440 ‘Air Power’ has completed a circumnavigation from Cape Town to Cape Town and is back in the US.
Kajali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:25   #39

I would suggest you look at the vendor's response to the complaints of the owner of Andando. https://www.maverick.life/maverick-400-hull-008-andando. And then check out the numerous blogs on their site of current owners of Mavericks. Ask for referral contacts. One bad review shouldn't sway you one way of the other. You might also want to check out some of the reviews on Youtube. Here's one I thought was very informative.
akarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 02:28   #40

Hi,I think the Maverick would be perfect for your needs .BUT don't expect to take it in big seas or strong winds ! In relation to your other questions ,I will soon be updating my website and showing photos of ANOTHER boat with extensive cracking and delamination .I will also be including information on another Maverick that ( like mine ) was supposed to be built to NZ standards and like mine was not !
Old 25-11-2019, 02:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I want to make this quite clear.The purchase contract was for the build to be to NZ standards .Rudi paid for NZ design approval which demanded significant strengthening ( including the main ring frame ) .The NZ designer stated " even with the strengthening it barely meets NZ standards ".maverick then ignored the New NZ design approved plans and supplied me with a " normal" boat which cracked up severely on it's maiden voyage !Of course nothing of this or the fact that the main masthead bulkhead was not glassed in ,is mentioned on the Maverick "Truth about Andando " site !
Old 25-11-2019, 02:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightOfSeven View Post
Hmmm, I don't think that is accurate. From what little I've seen, Maverick doesn't market the 400/440 as you describe....a boat for "gentle tradewind sailing and messing around in the Caribbean". They market them as a world crusiers. They claim, "Maverick Catamarans are ideal for owners who wish to sail around the world independently". In my mind, that implies some really high expectations.

I'm really disappointed after seeing the Andando video. I was starting to think the 440 to be the boat for us. Not anymore, at least not a new one.
I can only comment on my experience and other mavericks that I have seen .There is a price to be paid for those large windows ,large volume and large sliding doors - strength! My boat flexes too much and when it does it cracks and mine is not just the only one .i have seen another with worse cracks than mine ! Photos to follow soon .
Old 25-11-2019, 03:58   #43

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andando View Post
I can only comment on my experience and other mavericks that I have seen .There is a price to be paid for those large windows ,large volume and large sliding doors - strength! My boat flexes too much and when it does it cracks and mine is not just the only one .i have seen another with worse cracks than mine ! Photos to follow soon .

There are lots of modern cats with large windows, large volume and large sliding doors. Indeed a majority of them have these features: Lagoon springs immediately to mind. Not sure they are also suffering from a lack of strength but maybe they are ? Would be interested to know.
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 04:19   #44

The problem is that owners that have boats with issues like mine don't want to go public as it devalues their investment.Even when I first went public - some Maverick owners contacted me with similar issues but didn't want the boat named in public ...those boats have since been sold .In my opinion the Antares 44 has it right for blue water cruising and I wish I had paid more to have an Antares than a Maverick .I am sure the Antares company would not have shafted me the same way Maverick did !
Old 25-11-2019, 17:35   #45

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarn View Post
I would suggest you look at the vendor's response to the complaints of the owner of Andando. https://www.maverick.life/maverick-400-hull-008-andando. And then check out the numerous blogs on their site of current owners of Mavericks. Ask for referral contacts. One bad review shouldn't sway you one way of the other. You might also want to check out some of the reviews on Youtube. Here's one I thought was very informative.
The cover shot 440 is for sale. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...dard%20listing
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote