Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 07:44   #1

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Matrix 450

As many of you out there, I have just made my way home from the Annapolis bot show and after sensory overload and the wow factor of what a little carbon fiber and 3 mill can do has worn off, I had a question regarding one of the more affordable potential future homes for us.

My wife and I kept gravitating back to the Matrix Vision450 (we loved the St. Francis 50 but my teachers salary did not). They (Matrix) seemed to be willing to work with us to make the changes in lines, winches, etc with us as I would expect most would on a new boat. The one thing that concerned us however, was bridge deck clearance; or from someone who is just making the transition from beach cats to live-a-boards, it looked very close to the water and I am concerned with the often mentioned deck-slamming.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

Thanks in advanced

Fred
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05   #2

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Try to get hold of the delivery skipper who sailed it across to the show from SA.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 15:43   #3

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Fred,

Our voyage has "low" bridgedeck clearance, it doesn't bother me. When I have had the boat offshore and it did slam "seriously" it was in 12-14 ft close choppy waves crossing the gulf stream. The Voyages are sailed over on there own hulls and are built to take the weather. Have a look at the used Voyage market and you will find some good boats, or check out the new models.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 20:39   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I am not a fan of low bridgedeck clearance cats - transatlantic crossings notwithstanding (note they are mostly downwind).

The other concern I have with the Matrix 450 is the width of the sidedecks and the projection of the cabintop forward. The first looks too narrow for my eye and the second looks like a trip hazard. But that's just me...

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 22:56   #5

I think they have tried to take the style of the 760 and build it into a smaller boat. For me the projections of the side of the coachroof mean when you sit in fron to the front coachroof window you cannot see out the sides. The stairs at the back to get from the cockpit to me seemed very high which I would think would not be great if you are older or in a heavy sea, seems easy to fly off the back. The inside was nicely finished off. What price were they asking?
Old 14-10-2010, 06:06   #6

The base model is over 5k the model at the show was over 6k.

We too were concern with the high steps. Well should I say my wife was who is 5' 4". The trip hazard up front posed by the coach roof is also of concern.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:33   #7

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
The Matrix

...But did you see the horrible view from the helm? There is no visual for any point of the vessel, one cannot see the bow nor the stern points. Also the quality seemed suspect. I'd prefer the new Leopard 39, a better buy IMHO
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 07:09   #8

The L39 and the Matrix are not really in the same category, the leopard is much smaller. I did not look at the Matrix at the CT boatshow in detail, I just jumped on and did a quick walk around, as a matter of interest what where were the quality concerns?
Old 14-10-2010, 08:06   #9

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
You are so right..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
The L39 and the Matrix are not really in the same category, the leopard is much smaller. I did not look at the Matrix at the CT boatshow in detail, I just jumped on and did a quick walk around, as a matter of interest what where were the quality concerns?
The Leopard is much better built...by a more respected builder.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 10:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
The Leopard is much better built...by a more respected builder.
I'm a pretty big fan of all the Morrelli & Melvin boats, they are a nice mix of elegance and practicality...
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 02:37   #11

I was taking another look at this boat today. Truth be told, the design is starting to bother me. Specifically the two "prongs" that that extend almost to the bow in front of the cabin. They seem to be purely aesthetic. I keep wondering what it'd be like to try to get to the front in an emergency, at best they are a tripping hazard that when you round the tip forces you much closer to the most unstable part of the boat. Thoughts?
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 12:45   #12

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
I was taking another look at this boat today. Truth be told, the design is starting to bother me. Specifically the two "prongs" that that extend almost to the bow in front of the cabin. They seem to be purely aesthetic. I keep wondering what it'd be like to try to get to the front in an emergency, at best they are a tripping hazard that when you round the tip forces you much closer to the most unstable part of the boat. Thoughts?
They do have small bunks located inside them. That's kinda cool...
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:00   #13

Boat: A few!
Hi Fred,

I know Peter and Mark from Matrix quite well. They are good honest hardworking guys making a decent product. Personally I'm not a fan of the 'Simonis' effect that has spread through many SA designs - low clearance, lots of gelcoat, poor helm vision, hard to walk around. The Silouette is a proven and successful charter boat and without a doubt the Vision is probably similarly aimed at the bareboat market -they'd be crazy not to. But in my book that means compromise for cruisers.

Many of the SA boats are designed to be sailed light, start to live on board and the necelle heads south quickly. Worth considering if you are a fan of tech or luxury (or both).

It really depends on what you want to do. If you are aiming never to sail upwind it's probably not an issue. People try to get the best sailing boats sometimes at the cost of how the boat is at anchor, and then go off and spend most of their time at anchor.

Playing devils advocate, have you considered something used and already fitted out for cruising? For your budget you'd get a cracking Privilege or even Catana.

Tom
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:01   #14

Hi Tom-

Thanks for the feedback and info and to answer your devils advocate question, most defiantly. We have looked at the Privilege (from afar) but have yet to sail one. The Cantata appeals to the old racer in me (former Nacre owner) but not sure how i feel about the exposed helm(s). Since i don't want to spend all our time on the "milk run" going to weather is going to happen (will need to sedate the Admiral). Because of that seaworthiness is a big issue, hence the Privilege which i have heard good things about (well save the one that blew-up this week). At some point we are just going to have to make the best choice out of what is out there at our price-point so all the opinions I get give me more data to consider.

Regards

Fred
Old 16-11-2010, 10:47   #15

Boat: A few!
Both the Privilege and Catana are very proven and I don't know of any horror stories.

I wouldn't worry about the helms, that's why they make auto pilots with wireless remotes! Also while one is exposed the other is usually nice and snug and if it's that rough these boats have great forward vision from the salon (from just behind a cup of hot cocoa!) As a Nacra sailor you'll appreciate being able to see the sails on both tacks and also being able to see past the genoa.

Tom
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote