Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45   #1

Masthead Wind Instrument ( Wireless) for Rotating Wing Mast

Looking for the above. The only option I have come across so far is the SailTimer, which seems like a wonderful idea but the execution of it seems to be buggy. Does anyone have experience with the SailTimer on a rotating rig? What are the other options? Boat is a 38' Newick trimaran with 48' rotating wing mast.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:34   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Masthead Wind Instrument ( Wireless) for Rotating Wing Mast

Following.

I have posted about this topic before with little response. SailTimer is not the only wireless instrument I have seen. Sad to say very few of them seem to be in use and real world reviews are very limited.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:48   #3

Must have missed that thread. What was the heading on your post?
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 20:22   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Must have missed that thread. What was the heading on your post?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-186225.html
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The only manufacturer I know of that reallydeals well with rotating masts is NKE. they have a mast rotation sensor that measures where the mast is and then the instruments correct the readings back to the center line of the boat automatically.

If all you want is a parent wind speed any of the transducers will work, but if you want direction or true wind speed it's NKE or posssibly BnG.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The only manufacturer I know of that reallydeals well with rotating masts is NKE. they have a mast rotation sensor that measures where the mast is and then the instruments correct the readings back to the center line of the boat automatically.

If all you want is a parent wind speed any of the transducers will work, but if you want direction or true wind speed it's NKE or posssibly BnG.

Please see here:
CV7-C-RM: an UltraSonic Wind Sensor for rotating mast! - LCJ Capteurs
VENTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENTS View Post
I cold t get the page to load, but I did find the CV7-C-RM elsewhere. Much like the NKE it uses a rotation sensor attached to the mast and a ultrasonic wind indicator in combination to calculate true wind information.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I cold t get the page to load, but I did find the CV7-C-RM elsewhere. Much like the NKE it uses a rotation sensor attached to the mast and a ultrasonic wind indicator in combination to calculate true wind information.

It's not like NKE!
You are free to choose the MFD and autopilot! B & G, Raymarine, Furuno, Simrad, Lowrance, Hummindbird etc ...
About the rotation sensor attached to the mast, at the end of this year it will no longer be attached! Without moving mechanical parts.

BR
VENTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:46   #9

Boat: macgregor 26

If your willing to be a bit patient and willing to try something new you could look at this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/w...ions#/comments

The inturnal electronic compass, ultrasonic wind indicator, Bluetooth interface and low power requirements Are interisting.
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari Evolution, 40ft, Helia 44 July 2018 delivery

Hi MattyC, I used Tacktick wireless instruments on the rotating mast on my Nacra 36, it was excellent. Also used the depth and waterspeed on their wireless system too. When I installed my system in 2006 there was not a facility for accounting for the actual mast rotation, so I only had windspeed which was all I needed at that time. I believe they have since introduced a sensor that measures mast angles.
Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Looking for the above. The only option I have come across so far is the SailTimer, which seems like a wonderful idea but the execution of it seems to be buggy. Does anyone have experience with the SailTimer on a rotating rig? What are the other options? Boat is a 38' Newick trimaran with 48' rotating wing mast.
I have bought the SailTimer Instrument which never function because my mast is 36 ft high and the Bluetooth signal did not arrive on my instrument. After 3 month the plate where it was fixed brake and I lost the Instrument. So I talk to the company SailTimer and they sold me an Instrument of factory price, but this Instrument also did not function, the Bluetooth signal did not arrive to the instrument or smartphone and also the wind direction is not working, I think it came with this defect from factory. I did not have support from the company and they only told me that it is not possible that it is not function properly. So at the end I have pay a lot of money and no result. SailTimer say that they have a new and stronger Bluetooth electronic in there new Instruments which have a longer range, admitting with this that the old Instruments had problem with the communication. So in the moment I also do not know what Wind-Instrument for rotating mast I will buy.
chamo0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-A-TAC View Post
If your willing to be a bit patient and willing to try something new you could look at this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/w...ions#/comments

The inturnal electronic compass, ultrasonic wind indicator, Bluetooth interface and low power requirements Are interisting.
Yes it good Instrument but it is not working on rotating Mast because it has a mark where you have to position the Instrument to the north, the instrument do not have a compass inside!!!
chamo0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 23:05   #13

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENTS View Post

It's not like NKE!
You are free to choose the MFD and autopilot! B & G, Raymarine, Furuno, Simrad, Lowrance, Hummindbird etc ...
About the rotation sensor attached to the mast, at the end of this year it will no longer be attached! Without moving mechanical parts.

BR
I have the fixed mast version of the CV7. It is excellent, very stable readings and support from the company is also excellent.

It can be used raw (NMEA output) or with an interface box that will link it to most marine instrument systems.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:51   #14

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Another thumbs up for the LCJ unit.

Work very reliably, so every problem is a head-scratcher... While motoring my boat to the crane for the winter-haulout yesterday I noticed that the wind indication wasn't working. I spent about 15 minutes searching for a problem, before I realized, that I had already disconnected all the cables from the mast the day before. Doh.

I have the wired version with a custom rotation correction device, but they offer a NMEA2000 conversion box with an input for a rotation sensor as well.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 18:45   #15

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

There may be some advantages to mounting the wind instrument (or two) on a stern pole or arch that doesn't rotate. True wind accuracy is difficult, can't imagine you would be able to/want to spend all the time to dial things in with a mast rotation sensor.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, men, rot, rum, wind