Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 13:57   #16

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Mast Rake 40-50 ft Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't know of any way to calculate rig settings. There is the designers original plan, and then racers get ahold of the boat and throw the book out of the window. Just as an example, the original J-35 tuning guide called for 2 degrees of rake and no prebend. This was right up until a boat named Big-J showed up at worlds with 0 rake and 16" of prebend and almost lapped the fleet.

I would think that 1-4 degrees is a pretty conservative place to start. My A-Cat for instance starts at 6.5 degrees prebend, and rakes back to 9 degrees as the wind picks up.
Wow, never knew there was a J35 Worlds.
Owned and raced one for 5 years here on the East Coast and participated in several NA's. Best racing I have ever done especially one North American Championship in Newport when we had 33 boats on the line!
When and where did they take place?
Sorry for the thread drift but your comment brought back a lot of great memories.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

AD28

Right now the class has mostly gotten away from adjustable diamond stays. They are still installed on a lot of boats (mine included), but the only time I use them are to put the sail up. The extra prebend allows me to push the sail up a bit easier (no halyard).

Technically it can be used to adjust the flex point of the mast, but there is already so much control with the downhaul and mast rotation that it's pretty much superfluous. The major real advantage is in very light air when you can use the prebend to open the lower 1/3 of the sail without effecting the top 2/3. But honestly no one I know uses it this way. It's just too fine an adjustment to matter much, so sailmakers have just designed for a set prebend in all conditions.

On a crewed boat like a Tornado it may have a place, but there is already to much to do on the A-Cat to mess around with this type of fine tuning.

Caradow,

I had to look it up. Apparently it was the NA I was thinking of, there was no J-35 Worlds as far as I found. I am thinking of the early 80's back when Smoke, and Heartbeat (I think it was) as well as Big J, were the hot boats in the fleet. I didn't start sailing on them until much later, so all I have are the stories I have been told.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 20:22   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Nice to see there are some knowledgeable small catamaran sailors in these discussions that have utilized those bending and raking 'tricks' in their past escapades.
Old 25-02-2016, 21:21   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I a, certainly not one of the knowledgable small cat sailors. I got tired of fighting with crew and got rid of the 30' race boat thinking I was done racing. Then I started missing it so my wife pushed me to get something else to race...

The decision tree was basically... What's the fastest single person boat I can find? I am too heavy for a foiling moth, next up was an A-Cat. Since I got it about 6 months ago it has been a huge learning curve. It's like nothing I have ever sailed before. It the only beach cat I have ever really sailed, and it's a huge step down in size from big racers... But holy good god is it fun.

I would highly recommend the A-Cat to anyone who enjoys speed... 22kn is my current top speed, and I could have gone faster, I just chickened out.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast