Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 06:19   #16

Boat: Privilege P43
Re: mast height

smj is correct: according to the charts, the Julia Tuttle (I-195) bridge is 56 ft. The fixed bridge to Dodge Island (from downtown Miami), which crosses the ICW at the south west end of Government Cut is 65 ft.
PDF versions are available at NOAA Charts PDF Format.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 22:31   #17

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Not sure of the accuracy, but the following site has listings of bridge heights and schedules as of July 2013:

Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) Bridge Schedule & Lock Restrictions

Mark
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 05:21   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Thanks, all useful info. Was thinking of the practical value for all of us in having a single reference document showing bridge height from Chesapeake all the way around FL and back through AL, MISS, LA and TX. As it is, it seems like you have to wade through many publications to get to that. My specific reason for needing this info is that my research phase of which cat to buy is at the point of needing to be pared down. I know the category of boat (<40')' I know where and for what purpose I will use it, and think the smart thing to do now is let environmental conditions drive the design. Something like, the biggest affordable boat that fits under the lowest bridge in most areas but still have shallow enough draft. Out of production PDQs are showing their age, Legacy 35 was my #1 but is almost too narrow, Leapords are really nice but mast too high. My list has some great Aus and SA designs but many are not here and it's complicated enough without having to deal with remote decision making variables in unfamiliar geographies.

My top pick now; FP Mahe Evolution.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 05:37   #19

One single website will show all bridges: ActiveCaptain.com

I traveled the ICW a year ago with a 60' off-the-water stick and had no trouble. That's about as tall a mast height as I'd want.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 05:57   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I'm pretty sure what I'm about to say is correct. We've done this trip quite a few times so going of memory and this is only for the ICW and fixed bridges.
From the Chesapeake.to Appalachicola Fl. all fixed bridges are 65'except the Julia Tuttle in Miami which is 56
From Appalachicola to Pensacola there are some 50' bridges.
From Pensacola to Louisiana 65'
Louisiana through Texas 73'. There is a 50' bridge in Aransas Pass but you can bypass that by going through Port Aransas.
As I said going by memory so if I'm mistaken please chime in!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 06:33   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

You don't have to limit yourself to a 36' boat because of mast height. There are plenty of 38-42 foot cats out there that will do the ICW. Also the cats in this range only draw 4' or so. My boat is a Lagoon 410 and the mast is 62' from the water. With a 3' antenna on top I had no problem coming down the ICW. Of course once at Lauderdale you have to go outside to Miami, which is a piece of cake, just watch the weather. One word of caution, when you enter the channel at Miami, call the Coast Guard and find out if Government Cut is closed due to cruise ships being there. It's a drag getting 3/4's of the way up the cut and be turned around. If it is closed you just take the commercial cut to the left of Government Cut.
If you do find a cat that you love, but the mast is say 3-5 foot too tall for the ICW, do what one of my clients did to their boat. They cut 4 foot off the mast and recut the sail to make it a flat top. You don't lose much sail area and the cut makes up for it. I think it ran them about 5 grand. You do have options...
Old 14-12-2013, 06:34   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

From my recollection besides the Julia Tuttle which most are aware of, there are other bridges on the AICW which may be less than the nominal 65 feet. One that comes to mind is the one at the end of the Alligator/Pungo canal which is north of Bellhaven. In addition depending on wind conditions in non-tidal stretches the bridges might not have 65 feet.
Old 14-12-2013, 06:40   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
One word of caution, when you enter the channel at Miami, call the Coast Guard and find out if Government Cut is closed due to cruise ships being there. It's a drag getting 3/4's of the way up the cut and be turned around. If it is closed you just take the commercial cut to the left of Government Cut.

Just count the cruise ships. If there are none you can go through Government Cut. If there is one you can go through Government Cut. Just keep to the north side of the channel. If there is more than one cruise ship in you have to take Fishermans Channel south of Dodge Island.
Old 14-12-2013, 06:58   #24

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I have a 64' 10" mast, plus antennas - 67.5'.

I time the tide and go under the 65' bridges.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:00   #25

Hi Emcmia
You mentioned in an old post that you were able to go under the MacArthur causeway bridge in Miami with a mast of 67’. I have a privilege 445 and my mast is also 67’. I’m wondering whether I should give it a try. How much clearance did you have when you went under the bridge? I’m assuming you went there at low tide?
Thanks
matc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 18:41   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
If you are referring to the Rickenbacker Causeway bridge, it's 76'. So, you can enter Government Cut and get to Biscayne Bay with a 71' mast (going past Marine Stadium).

I have taken 78' under it at low tide; damn tight
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 18:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Just count the cruise ships. If there are none you can go through Government Cut. If there is one you can go through Government Cut. Just keep to the north side of the channel. If there is more than one cruise ship in you have to take Fishermans Channel south of Dodge Island.

The only bridge in the AICW from Norfolk (MM1) to Ft Lauderdale that isn't 65' (nominally) is the 64' Wilkerson Bridge, on the A/P Canal as you point out. I've run it all with a 64' mast many times
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:24   #28

Thanks Scott,
I was actually referring to the Mac Arthur Causeway bridge, just north of the cruise ship terminals. It shows 65’ at high tide on the charts. My mast is at 67’ and someone on this forum had mentioned they’d do it frequently with a similar mast height at low tide. I can’t find a marina to leave my boat south of that bridge. Any recommendations?
matc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 18:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
I am looking at a 45 leopard and the mast height is 71'. That pretty well rules out the ICW. Any suggestions . I really like the Leopards . I really would like to do the ICW .
So why exactly do you want to buy a sailboat?
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 00:19   #30

Boat: Boatless but working on it

What year is the Leopard 45? We used to go under the Nassau/Paradise Island with the Moorings 45s and 47s often in the early 2000s. From memory it is 69ft on the HAT. 71ft would get under it at low tide but it would be close.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast