Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 12:09   #1

Massachusetts surveyors

Does anyone have any personal experience with surveyors in Massachusetts or southern N.H. with multihull knowledge .

Thanks.
dave948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:58   #2

Boat: Mariner 36
Re: Massachusetts surveyors

George Gallup is good to go.
Gallupyachtsurveying(dot)com
Performed my pre-sale and a few of my customers pre-sale and insurance surveys.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 17:58   #3

Thanks for the response.

I should have started with an introduction, I'm new to posting to the forum but have been reading your great advise for a few years. I grew up on the north shore of Massachusetts and have been on boats my whole life and was lucky to spend my youth working at a few local marinas.
I have very little sailing experience and no catamaran experience ( other than a passenger a few times ).

I'm looking to buy a cat to gain experience and use on the east coast for the next 6 to 8 years then upgrading to a live aboard cat if I still like it.

I've looked at a few Gemini boats in the Newburyport area but I don't think I would pursue them to the point of paying for a survey. I was hopeful but this weekend just didn't pan out. With only around 300 cats for sale in the US there isn't much to pick from in the NE.
Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks.
dave948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 18:40   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I can not even remember the surveyor's name from where I got my boat. But my recommendation is that you ask each for a copy of a past survey to determine what type of detail they provide. And ahead of time your do some research on what and how a boat is surveyed so you are more knowledgeable. There are tons of stories of poor surveys that didn't find an item that could have suck a boat, don't end up being one of them.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22   #5

Boat: Searunner 34

Chris White, if he's available. South Dartmouth. Best to email him through his website, Chris White Designs Multihull Sailboats High Performance Cruising Yachts - Catamaran and Trimaran. A good friend used Peter Hunt for a catamaran survey. (508) 285-4984. He's in Norton MA. He was very satisfied with the way the survey was conducted.
PJOHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:54   #6

Boat: 41' yawl

*NOT* Barnaby Blatch.

Accredited up the wazoo. What a joke.

He said stuff like "No keel bolts, embedded keel." Nope. Must googled the wrong boat. Definitely have 18 keel bolts and an external ballast. ~wow~. The gall to be that cavalier with a $700 survey.

"Compression posts need repainting" Well, maybe. But they also needed to be replaced since I literally broke them apart by hand.

"Engine looks well cared for, belts in good tension". Well, the day he took the survey, I noticed that the alternator wasn't even bolted on. There was zero tension.

"Engine mounted securely" - The rear engine mounts were not even bolted down. Never got a straight answer on why that was.

Missed many other things as well, but these were the ones that made my blood boil. The guy was respected, came well recommended, I knew what I was getting into with the boat, but wanted to have a bonafide expert's opinion. What a waste of money that was.

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Massachusetts, survey, surveyor