Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 22:41   #1

Marseille-Micronesia through Panama in 4 stops, solo on multihull?

Hello!

Writer doing research for a fiction here (so please don't shoot me). Calling all multihull experts for advice and enlightened opinion.

Is there such a boat that would allow one to make a very fast solo journey from Marseille to Micronesia, stopping only 4 times (Gibraltar, Panama, Hawaii, Marshall Islands).

If yes what boat would you recommend? Production or custom? What kind of equipment/rigging?

All comments relevant to this question immensely appreciated. Please understand that, at this stage of the writing, I am not able to share much, if at all, about the plot.
DeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 00:52   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Marseille-Micronesia through Panama in 4 stops, solo on multihull?

heres your boat and equipment necessary
Sephina: Sephina
heres your characters on a similar trip on the same boat

Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 09:24   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Dee -
Nobody's going to shoot you as long as we know in front what you're doing. Just because somebody reads one thread of yours, it doesn't mean they've read them all. If you got shot anyway, well, it's the internet.

As for boats, there are a lot of them that could do what you describe. Depending on what you mean by fast, you might want a custom rather than a production boat. Production multihulls, especially cats, are often aimed towards a market that seeks more accomodation space/luxury/bells and whistles etc. Those sorts of features usually result in a fatter and slower hull design.

I can't remember the exact quote, but trimaran designer Dick Newick once said words to the effect that "Everybody wants three things in multihulls - great accomodations, high speed, and economical cost. You can have any two."

For some ideas of my favorite type of multihulls you might visit ChrisWhiteDesigns.com.

Good luck.
Old 19-08-2013, 13:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Dee -
For some ideas of my favorite type of multihulls you might visit ChrisWhiteDesigns.com.
Chris White Explorer 44 it is.

You're the man!
Old 19-08-2013, 22:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Chris is - from all reports - one of natures gentlemen, and I am guessing would be well worth talking to - emailing - about technical questions.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 23:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Chris is - from all reports - one of natures gentlemen, and I am guessing would be well worth talking to - emailing - about technical questions.
Thank you. I have sent him an email.
Old 20-08-2013, 04:47   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Dee,

That voyage isnt much of a challenge anymore. Any ocean Cat 38 feet or over built in the last 10 years will eat that up.

Speed is really about money and stuff on board. If you have lots of money and live living in a bare shell the cat goes very fast. If you like luxury but have 'little' money there are lots of Cats to do that - like Lagoons.

But the passage itself isnt difficult. Theres no need to stop in Gibraltar, nor Hawaii. One just loads up the freezer and sails off into the sunset.
one doesn't even need to stop at panama. With a prearranged agent (and an extra $2,000 than others) you just sail on through without stopping.

Single handing isnt a problem either, but a solo sailor on one of the expensive fast cats will need to be an expert sailor, quite fit and seriously mentally deranged.

Going straight throu isnt difficult but we tend to sail in the correct season that can change in different areas of the world. That would slow a prudent sailor, but not in a novel. EG Marseilles - Panama needs to leave in summer but thats hurricane season in the Caribbean. We would do it: September from Marseilles to Canary Islands the leave Canary Islands late November thus coninciding with the end of the Caribbean hurricane season.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull, Panama