Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01   #1

Boat: 40' Leopard
Marinas in Panama City Fl

I am considering moving my 40' leopard cat to Panama City and was wondering if there were some good marinas in that area?
Also would consider a marina in Pensicola
Thanks for any input .
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11   #2

Re: Marinas in Panama City Fl

St Andrews marina and the Panama City marina are two ok choices. There may be some private options back in the creeks. St Andrews Bay Yacht Club might also be an option.
TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 14:42   #3

Boat: Gemini 3200

I don't know much about the marinas in PC but there are decent places all up and down the coast in this area. It really depends on what our priorities are. PC is a little more touristy than other areas. Have you considered Ft. Walton?
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 15:01   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Pensacola has very nice marinas; my favorite is Palafox. It's a very short walk from the marina at the end of Palafox Street to a great selection of restaurants, shops, and bars. There's a farmer's market every Saturday morning and the street is frequently turned into a pedestrian mall with several music acts and vendors on the street. During baseball season, you'll be treated to outstanding fireworks displays from the ball field just a stone's throw away.

There's also a fantastic hardware store and the new West Marine is large, very well stocked, and just a short drive away.

The Dock Master is terrific and the dock are floating and in great shape. The only negative is that there is only one head and one shower in the men's room.

The bay offers great sailing, some nice day-trip locations to anchor out and enjoy the beach, and easy, fairly quick access to the Gulf.

If you visit, be sure to stroll over to our boat, the Valentine; I'll shake my version of a French 75 for you and give you the lay of the land.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27   #5

Love Panama City. Stayed at the Laid Back Boat Club Marina in Massalina Bayou, just past the Panama City Marina. Laid back is popular, though. Might not be able to find a spot right off.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

PC City Marina is undergoing a rather lot of construction and will likely be so for some time, at least when they are done the bathrooms will be new. Nothing goes as quickly as they say.
Being a Cat your options are a little limited, but there are a couple of side tie spots open right now, (pier 3) if you look on their map, actually 2 transient boats are there, but it's right where a Lagoon 38 stays, they live a board, space is limited though, wouldn't hurt to call and check.
Marina is dead in the middle of Downtown, PC is the Red Neck Riviera, but almost all of that Spring Break kind of Non-sense is at the Beach, which is miles away, Downtown PC is still a little bit of the old Fl Panhandle town, you won't mistake it for the more prosperous South Fl towns.
PC City Marina is old, the docks just got the wood replaced this year, and supposedly will get floating docks in the near future, small tidal changes don't warrant floating docks in my opinion, but they would be nice.
A few of us think something shady may be in the future for the City Marina, land beside of it was slated to become a park, but the State gave the land to the City and a few of us expect it to be sold to developers to build those Mega Condo's, and the Marina may be part of the deal? pure rumor at this stage.
Access to your boat in the City Marina is behind a locked gate, keeping the public out, St Andrews, no locked gate, but they do have floating docks, both I think may be City owned?
Pump outs are free, there is a pump out boat now, $5 a pump out for the pump out boat, it's scheduled, not on call.

I keep my boat on pier 3, 316. Seems most live aboards are on pier 3. I don't live aboard, just an observation
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cherubini 37

I keep my 37' Cherubini monohull at Sun Harbor in Panama City and I'm extremely happy there. Sun Harbor has recently been purchased and amultitude of upgrades are said to be on the way including wave attenuators and a new restaurant. The management and ops staff at Sun Harbor are absolutely first rate. The community is good. The marina is easy in and out and is located at the east end of the Hathaway Bridge. We moved from Laid Back because we didn't want to have to deal with the draw bridge, but it was a nice little marina as well. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the St Andrews Marina as well. We often tie up there for dinner and entertainment. It is very nice as well, but I know nothing about the management or ops staff. The St. Andrews yacht club is a very nice environment, but they have extremely limited slip space.

On a personal side note, we would love to talk with you about life aboard your cat. We are considering a cat for our next upgrade and would love some first hand information and opinions. Feel free to call or email any time. Dan 931.206.2333.
daniellmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:45   #8

go to: https://activecaptain.com/X.php
flyout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:18   #9

Boat: 40' Leopard

Thanks for all the good info. I forgot to mention my mast height is 62ft
I will start exploring all the options and will be in thee area july to check things out .
Thanks again
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

When you find a place you like, rent it, even if it will be a couple of months before you bring the boat down otherwise you may have to settle for your second choice.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, Panama