Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2014, 01:26   #1

Marina to store Catamaran?

I have a 42' cat with a 68' mast!! I store the boat on land each hurricane season for approx. 6 months. For the last 4 years I've used St Augustine Marine Centre. Its time for a change and I have been told there is one somewhere in Carolina?? Beaufort I think??
Can anyone give me any advice on storing on the hardstand that gives good service and is priced fairly? Fixed bridges are a problem though for me.
Cheers
Tony

Old 20-11-2014, 02:42   #2
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Re: Marina to store Catamaran?

core creek marina, it may be renamed. 2 years ago town was trying to put in a fixed bridge. Do not know the outcome.

Old 20-11-2014, 06:46   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

[QUOTE=jusme4505;1682165]I have a 42' cat with a 68' mast!! [QUOTE]

Well don't leave us hangin. Tell us about this rocket ship.
Old 20-11-2014, 07:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1 View Post
core creek marina, it may be renamed. 2 years ago town was trying to put in a fixed bridge. Do not know the outcome.
Beaufort is putting in a 65 foot fixed bridge in place of the bascule bridge there now. They have just started construction. I don't know how long it will be before the channel is covered.
Old 20-11-2014, 07:31   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I called the Beaufort Docks and they know that there will definitely be closures to the channel here and there for construction and there is no official time set yet when the last tall masted vessel will be able to get thru but he thinks a year from now will be risky. The new bridge is supposed to be done in 2017 and the old one torn down and project completed 2 years after that.
Old 20-11-2014, 22:40   #6

Boat: Switch 51

I just bought a Cat and its behind the soon to be replaced with a fixed bridge bascule bridge. I just was informed by the North Carolina DOT that I need to be out by April 1 of 2015 so I will be looking with you for a spot. What did you not like about St Augustine Marine Centre? For on the hard storage I have not found anything between Beaufort and Florida and am considering going into the Chesapeake.

Good luck to you.
Old 22-11-2014, 05:05   #7

Hi All
Thanks for your responses on this. Firstly I should clarify that the mast is not 68' but 56' - I meant the clearance from waterline to tip of mast incl antenna's etc is 68'. So she is not the rocket ship I may have given you the illusion she could have been. Notwithstanding, she is a Crowther designed performance cruising cat - we did win the laid back Georgetown Regatta in B multi fleet and 3rd overall in racing fleet!

St Augustine has been great. We have been there the past 3 seasons and next will be four so I was thinking of a change. Exploratory research only. The hardstand area is fine, very professional at lifting in and out, facilities just ok although we do not stay on the boat. Bathroom's leave much to be desired for anyone staying on their boat doing work. I believe they view the centre as a working environment only. Having said that they have built an excellent lounging room with large TV, air conditioned, tea making, comfortable lounges etc and good wifi. So they may well be looking at bathrooms next???

To me they are reasonable in cost however they do charge commission fees should you want your own tradespeople working there. Also you cannot do your own antifouling.

I now may well look at the Chesapeake although this is further north than I need to be.

Again thanks for your feedback.

Tags
catamaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: