Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Marina In Florida Panhandle

Does anyone know of a decent marina in the Florida panhandle? I am specifically looking in a 25-30 mile radius of the Hurlburt/Eglin AFB area. Needs to be able to accommodate a 45' catamaran, and allow live-a-boards...

Any suggestions?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 17:00   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Marina In Florida Panhandle

This is probably not much help but I had a boat a decade or so ago at The Boat marina. It was there when I bought it and I lived right down the street so I can't compare to other area marinas..never used their facilities but it seemed OK to me.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:54   #3

Boat: PDQ 36

Howdy Scarlet!

We are also looking in that area. What is your time frame? When will you actually have the cat in the area. We will be back on the ground around the end of July doing some face to face with the various possibilities. What is your beam?

Regarding the previous post, I am pretty sure I confirmed on the phone what it says on 'The Boat Marina' website...No Liveaboards!! The two places either side of it were also "No way, no hell, NO FREAKIN LIVEABOARDS!"

It seems the L word has a certain negative connotation in Florida these days. I found better success eyeball to eyeball with the marinas. I scouted out Panama City Beach to Pensacola, took a position in P'Cola, and stayed at Palafox Pier for a year. I wasn't a liveaboard though. I was a 'longterm transient'...wink-wink..nudge-nudge..

If Eglin/Hurlburt is your target, Shalimar Yacht Basin is probably the closest marina that advertises that liveaboards are permitted. I think that space for your boat exists there, if it is not already occupied.

At the east end of Choctawhatchee Bay is a little known place called Marina Village, directly south of Freeport. They permit what you are after.

I don't think you will fit under the Destin Bridge, or the two low bridges between P'cola and Destin, though. You will probably have to enter at Panama City Beach and take the ICW in to Choctawatchee Bay.

I hope this helps..
NautiBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 17:58   #4

Hi Folks! Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed these days. But I finally have a moment to read. Rassa.. thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to go and check it out on line now..

Nautibits... I worry about those same issues. I was talking to a lady at work today, that basically have the same plans as we do, and she also mentioned the "face to face" conversations end up being much more productive.. and she says that many of the places start out with "no live-aboards".. but then when you start to talk to them.. they really want the business a CAT brings in.. and, they end up negotiating.

I also know the bridge that you are talking about.. and it is definitely not tall enough.

As for our plans... we have finally nailed down a date. My husband is forced into retirement 01Jan18. So... we will start seriously looking to buy beginning about august 2017... We are going to move to that area, because he can get a job as a contractor, doing exactly what he is doing now with the Air Force.. but down at Eglin. So, that will make a perfect place for us to "get our feet wet" before we completely take off..

I think Shalimar, or the Marina village has promise.. I'll check them out.
Old 14-07-2015, 19:12   #5

If Tyndall afb is a possibility, the Panama city marina welcomes liveaboards and can accommodate a big cat.

I'll report back what I find around Eglin in about a month.

Santa Rosa yachtclub is a very nice marina, allows liveaboards, but the ride on 98 to hurlburt is not something to look forward to.
I think 20 feet is their max beam too. They are close to the outlet to the gulf.

Happy boat hunting!
Old 15-07-2015, 08:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiBits View Post
If Tyndall afb is a possibility, the Panama city marina welcomes liveaboards and can accommodate a big cat.

I'll report back what I find around Eglin in about a month.

Santa Rosa yachtclub is a very nice marina, allows liveaboards, but the ride on 98 to hurlburt is not something to look forward to.
I think 20 feet is their max beam too. They are close to the outlet to the gulf.

Happy boat hunting!
nauti.. I understand that the naval base, at Pensacola, also has a marina... do you know anything about that?
Old 15-07-2015, 09:36   #7

My boat is at NAS Pensacola at the moment..

They can accommodate fairly large boats.

Officially, no Liveaboards. Who knows in three years though?

Transients are permitted. I'm not sure what the limit of consecutive days is though. Typically, they want the transients on a particular dock. Like everything, there are exceptions that depend on the alignment of the stars, who you know, which person/expert you talk to, RHIP, yada-yada, ymmv...

Decent facilities: AC in restroom/shower, MWR kayak/other small sailboat rentals

Portable pumpout only!

Very quiet, dockmates fantastic, protected from most wave action

Quality floating docks, but short finger piers means stern to or side tie options for cats..unless you want to climb over the lifelines/anchors to disembark

Quick access to great sailing in bay or gulf

Big base, full services available

No wifi, excellent 4g Verizon

No-seums rule the night!

They do not have a mandatory evacuate policy for named storms.

I would not consider it commuting distance to Eglin or Hurlburt either.

There are three marinas associated with Eglin. I'll be checking them out too.
Old 17-07-2015, 01:53   #8
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44

I grew up on the water boating in this area. A friend has/had a 40' catamaran at Shalimar and didn't have any problems living aboard. There might be some slips in Destin near harbor docks that you could probably work out with the owners doing face to face discussions. This is a great area and would gladly go back to settle down there if I could.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 03:02   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Niceville on north end of Choctawhatchee Bay. Freeport for that matter is just east of that. Commuteable distance to Hurlburt and Eglin. These two cities are bisected by the mid bay bridge. Niceville side is gulf access if you can fit under Hwy 98 bridge span at Destin Pass or Ft Walton Bch.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 04:09   #10
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44

You still have to go under hwy 98 bridge If you plan on docking in niceville. The only exception would be going into pannama city and taking the ICW (the ditch) west to Choctaw bay. That is a long trip and the ditch should not be taken on in bad weather.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:35   #11

Sorry I've been a little MIA.. I've been out living life to the fullest, and planning for my future! So, I've finally got a minute to follow up, and you all have given me some really good, viable options!! thanks for your help!

Tags
florida