Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2006, 22:21   #1

Manta owners

We are concidering buying a Manta for our family of four we would like to hear from some owners on the pros and cons of the Manta.Thank you for your time.
Old 28-03-2006, 12:40   #2
JJ

Manta

If you go over to the Latitues board and search the archive you'll find several posts covering the Manta. Sorry I can't copy and paste them right now... swamped at work.
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 13:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
That’s what I love about the CruisersForum crew - JJ is swamped at work; but not too swamped to lend a little help.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 13:30   #4

Well Gord.

JJ is not alone. I'm at work as well!! But, I always make time at work to get online!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 17:41   #5

Thanks, but I looked for the latitues bord and couldnt find it.
Old 29-03-2006, 01:12   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Goto "Latitudes & Attitudes" magazine:
http://www.latsandatts.net/
There’s a link to the board, on the menu at left .

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 21:05   #7

Thanks,that was great any other info would be great to!!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:27   #8

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Manta

My husband and I have been full time liveaboards on our Manta 42 for the past 2 years, and we still love it. There are so many more pros than cons, I will start with the short list:

1. There are places on deck without non-skid, so you have to walk carefully when the decks are wet.
2. Our boat lacks a second bow roller (which we added ourselves). I understand the new ones will have them.

What do we like about the Manta? Everything. She sails well (and very easily with the camber spar self-tending jib and electric winch with all lines running to the cockpit). She is exceptionally well built. We love the galley up arrangement. The quality of the equipment that Manta uses is first rate.

For a family of four, you will not have extra bunk space for guests. I am assuming you have a spouse and two children (just as assumption). The Manta has two queen size cabins aft and a smaller cabin forward on the starboard side. The salon table does not drop down to make a bunk. But if that is not a problem, I don't think you can get a better boat for the money.

Feel free to send me a private e-mail if you have any specific questions about the boat.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 11:34   #9
JJ

Harriet - non skid

Harriet, you are right about the non skid. Under the windows, forward by the tramps etc. Washing the boat down you take your life in your hands! I spent a whole day putting down adhesive non skid a year ago and its been much safer since then. I highly recommend it!
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 23:33   #10

Cool

Thank-you so much Harriet and JJ for your info! We can't wait to find OUR boat. We have narrowed it down to the Lagoon 38-41' or the Manta.
We are wondering about your engines...
1) Do you have any smell problems when changing your oil or servicing your engines?
2)How about noise, or heat...do you wish they were located somewhere else?

We were wondering how she tacks.
Have you had any electrical problems?
How is storage on the boat, overall?

Until we can think of any more questions, thank-you for your time...
Old 20-04-2006, 04:34   #11

"...the Lagoon 38-41' or the Manta"

Note the Lagoon 380 is very different to the 410 (besides being a metre narower). The props being behind the rudders can make manouvering 'interesting' I hear, and do look vulnerable.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 14:56   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
We were also looking at Mantas. In the course of doing so, I ran across this website: http://www.camarni.com/

The captain is a former Hong Kong Harbor officer (so he probably knows a thing or two about boats!). Family of four have been cruising the E. Coast of US, Carib, and are now in the Galapagos.

This is a "family" website, but he still has posted his logs and a nice write up about what he thinks of their Manta. Well worth the read.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 15:06   #13

Thanks for all the info.We are still landlocked but are planing on this time next year to have everything ready to sell.We have decided 99% that a used Manta MK42 is what we want.We will have 280k cash to spend on one so any of you owners want to sell next spring send us a note.Any other info or sail stories would be great!We were also wondering how they do in heavy weather and how much they slam? We really appreciate you're time and info.
Old 15-06-2006, 12:05   #14

When buying a new Manta were any of you owners able to negotiate the price down or is it pretty much pay what Manta is asking? Also I was wondering what options everyone chose and were you happy with those or wished you would've gotten less or more? Thanks.
pangaea6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 18:44   #15

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
I can virtually assure you that you will not be able to negotiate on the price; however, you may have negotiating power on what add-ons you get for the money.

As for what we got and didn't, it is really an individual preference issue, as well as what you might be bringing with you. For example, Manta has a good dinghy/engine pack, but we already had a good engine and some other items that are part of that pac. So we purchased a new dinghy ourselves and had it delivered to the dock where the boat was being commissioned. The equipment you choose will also depend in part on what type of cruising you plan to do and where you plan to do it.

I still don't regret not having a washing machine, although I have heard that laundromats are fewer and farther between in the Caribbean than in our usual Bahamas/East Coast cruising grounds. We also think we should have gotten Manta's gennaker package, but once we get to the Caribbean next year, the winds will be higher than what we would use a spinnaker for. Upgrading the chart plotter even more than we did would also be a good idea if you will be going offshore much.

All in all, we are very happy with our choices. Let me know if you need more specific info.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta