Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2007, 14:39   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I did not start a thread because I don't think it is required by "the rules".
I am not sure exactly when I asked for one but it was a month or two when I asked Fastcat for one of his nice new ones to either keep or test for him in the US.
What rules, there are no rules, and if there are they are to be broken, right?
That's OK you can have his Fastcat, nice boat, I have asked for other models, because there are more of them, and I must not be greedy
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 03:23   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Therapy

Around june/julyI will be in the States with the first 435 green motion retractable full electric on my test sail from Durban via St. helena Barbados Tortola Miami bermuda Azores Europe so if you would like to test it you are welcome.
Another possibility is testing one in Europe or South Africa and madera is another option Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 12:10   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Therapy

Around june/julyI will be in the States with the first 435 green motion retractable full electric on my test sail from Durban via St. helena Barbados Tortola Miami bermuda Azores Europe so if you would like to test it you are welcome.
Another possibility is testing one in Europe or South Africa and madera is another option Greetings
You are too kind.
I appreciate the offer very much.
I will never be able to afford such a boat so I will not take your time when a paying customer would be waiting.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 17:06   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Therapy

I can't afford one, either, but if you need bodies to "draw a crowd", or simply someone to crank a winch, I'd love to take a ride.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 20:20   #20

Hey if anyone is getting a free CAT, it's me!! I am using my Grandfather clause that I've wanted one since I was a kid!! LOL

Seriously, I was looking at several different SA cat makers as well as European, and I might actually go for one that is made locally here in OZ or TAZ. My reasonings is because of shipping, import, etc.. plus, since it will be my first CAT, it would be nice if the manufacturer was actually a few hours away instead of at least 10 time zones away.

This may be over thinking it, but let me know what you all think.. Cheers
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 10:07   #21

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Broadblue 42 565K that is 2 years old, Lagoon 420 550K. Your VAT and sales tax would drive that up to 675K for the French boat. So getting a catamaran for 200k less would make a difference to a lot of buyers. And yes, Manta was extended, but it has a 21 ft beam which gives it the accomodation space and is far more roomy than a broadblue 385. The extended transom also helps with the sailing performance (a lot) and one could say that having more water line aft without having a lot of weight and structure is a good thing for a catamaran, especially one that wants to carry a big dingy. And while it isn't the spaciousness of a Privilege or Lagoon, it has more room than say a outremer 42 and roughly equal to a Catana 410. British buyers of boats are flying over to the states in droves. A friend who is a new boat broker is now doing most of his business with overseas buyers (which is a first) for luxury power boats. Now if OPEC decides to value oil in something other than dollars, you'll find boats in the states for dirt cheap as the dollar falls.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 11:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Broadblue 42 565K that is 2 years old, Lagoon 420 550K. Your VAT and sales tax would drive that up to 675K for the French boat. So getting a catamaran for 200k less would make a difference to a lot of buyers.
I can't be bothered to do any more maths on this but a BB415 for example which is a designed 42 ft boat (not lengthened) and new in design compared to the much older designed Manta 38 (42) is would if bought in the UK be marginally more but without any of the hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonerdog
British buyers of boats are flying over to the states in droves. A friend who is a new boat broker is now doing most of his business with overseas buyers (which is a first) for luxury power boats.
I hope all these British buyers you say are buying boats from the States, are making sure that they comply with the European RCD (recreational craft directive) because most (apart from very new models - I believe manufactured after 2004/5 - could be wrong on the year) do not, and therefore on import our officials will give them a certain period of time to meet those demands which are very costly and time consuming to make the boat comply and I believe some boats will never be able to comply, if they are not met the boat will be impounded, France is 10 times worse than we are.
If you sail into France and cannot prove you have your ICC, a proof of VAT paid for your boat, current flares, extinguishers etc, they will impound your boat.
Recently in Holland the Dutch authorities impounded a UK boat becaue he did not have a VAT receipt for the diesel in his tanks, as at the moment we can use red diesel which does not have the same high rate of tax as in Europe.
The European built boats I see for sale in the USA and the Caribe by yachtworld.com would be expensive to buy compared to those in the UK and Europe, unless those for sale are asking far to much and not being realistic, this of course I don't know, maybe your sellers are expecting to be knocked down alot, again I don't know your selling mentality.
Old 20-11-2007, 13:47   #23

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Looking around for CATS, I found the MANTA a suitable boat for cruising. The manufacturer thinks about the "cruising idea" and not the "Charter philosophy".
Even before we bought the boat, I had good contact to the owner of MANTA and the employees. They were very helpful in providing all kind of information.
Owned a french boat some time ago, no comparism!

This, and the strong EURO made us buy a used MANTA 42.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 14:09   #24

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
If I bought a boat in the UK or Europe and was then sailing it to leave it in the Carribean or leave it in a country outside of the EU, so long as I did so within I think 90 days (might be wrong about the days) then I would not pay VAT.
Ian

You have 6 months to leave the EU. Of course, Gibraltar is outside the EU so you can leave the boat there for a while as well

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 14:20   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to catfight
a NEW Fountaine Pajot True 40' starts at at $ 330,000 then it goes up
you can add the same things as the Manta and still be at the same price and that is for a FP....................... for re sale There are NO used boats in the USA
catfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 14:22   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to catfight
lavezzi 40' from Fountaine Pajot......... is a true 40' er
with the engines in the aft stern ..................................... who can beat that
catfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 16:06   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfight View Post
a NEW Fountaine Pajot True 40' starts at at $ 330,000 then it goes up
you can add the same things as the Manta and still be at the same price and that is for a FP....................... for re sale There are NO used boats in the USA
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Here alone there are 16 but most are from the 90's, and several are large.

PS. spelling can change searches.
FP has been spelled
Fountain
Fontain
Fountaine
Fontaine
Pajot
Pajiot
Piajot
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 21:13   #28
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I've seen the Fountaine Pajot 36' where the saildrive access is under the swim ladder steps in each hull. That had me scratching my head. I can see it was great for the boat layout, as the boat had lots of room, but I feel that it puts too much weight too far aft.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 08:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Ian

You have 6 months to leave the EU. Of course, Gibraltar is outside the EU so you can leave the boat there for a while as well
Hi Mike, Thanks for correcting me.
Old 21-11-2007, 10:31   #30

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I believe that was amended in 2001 by article 562 section E to allow foriegn flagged vessels 18 months to travel EU waters without having to go outside.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/doina/R2004-03-16-1

http://www.eurunion.org/legislat/Art553to562.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Hi Mike, Thanks for correcting me.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta