Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 13:34   #1

Manta Cat Camber Spar Jib - Thoughts

We are researching which catamaran shall be our next boat purchase. (moving from mono to multi). There are a number of pros/cons to all of our choices and ultimately the final choice will involve compromises..we understand that.

There are a number of features of the Manta 40/42 we like. Collision bulkheads, build quality, etc. However, we do have concerns regarding the camber spar jib. Chief concern is dousing the sail in bad weather. We have become "spoiled" by roller furling jib which can be furled from the cockpit. I have never sailed camber spar type of jib. How does one douse this sail and secure it without going forward to the sail itself? Is this really an issue give the more stable platform of a cat? Unfortunately, in large seas, even a cat isn't that stable....

Any thoughts, opinions good or bad about this set up would be appreciated.

Many thanks
vlbaysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 07:29   #2

Boat: Manta 42 MKIV
Re: Manta Cat Camber Spar Jib - Thoughts

Hi there,

A year ago I purchased a Manta 42 and have the camber spar jib. Although I have only had this cat for a year, I've owned several mono's before and will be heading offshore in our cat in few months like we did with our previous boats.

We've had no problems at all handling or dousing the jib in high winds. Generally, the sail falls quite nicely into its lazy jacks. But, for other situations, we have a downhaul rigged which leads back to the cockpit. It's no problem dousing this sail.

The only drawback that I feel that the camber spar rig has is that we do not have the ability to reef the jib as you would with roller furling. On the other hand, the jib is quite small so I am not sure that reefing it will be a concern. My manta brethren tell me that lacking the ability to reef the jib has not been a limitation.

I do know that several Manta's that have headed offshore have carried a hank on storm jib that goes on the forestay above the doused jib. But, it must not be that necessary because nobody that I have talked to has ever ended up using it.

We've been extremely happy with our Manta and purchased it for some of the same reasons that you mentioned. The Manta owners also have a VERY active private forum where any question that a newer owner like myself asks gets answered nearly immediately from many long time owners. If you do choose a manta you won't have the palatial space like some other 42' cats, but you'll get a very well built boat with lots of attention to detail in the systems that actually sails well.

Mark
s/v Speakeasy
windwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 09:15   #3

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Manta Cat Camber Spar Jib - Thoughts

+1 to everything Mark said. You might also check out the Freedom website (FreedomYachts.org • Index page). I know they're completely different vessels, but there's good documentation on how to best rig the cambar spar jib for quick dowsing or optimal sailing. This might be one more source that could be helpful as you consider your options. I don't know nothin' about sailing a cat, except they (mostly) go fast!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, manta