Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2007, 21:40   #1

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
Maine Cat 30?

Hi folks,

We'll I got a heck of lot of help on my headroom thread, and one of the folks who responded suggested I look at the Maine Cat 41. I did, and really liked what I saw.

But my wife and I have been doing some more thinking, and we are considering buying a smaller boat to sail for the years we have until retirement, and then getting the larger boat we would like to live on We like a lot of the designs that are out now, but the ones we really like (like the Maine Cat 41) are too new for us to be able to afford the boat now.

So, this leads me to my question. Are there any folks out there that would like to comment on the Maine Cat 30 pluses and minuses? How does it sail? What do you think of the quality of the boat?

We don't plan to circumnavigate in it, just a little cruising in Puget Sound and the San Juans, plus a bit along the west coast in good weather in the summer.

Anyway, if anyone has information about this boat, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Also, if anyone out there knows where I can charter a Maine Cat 30 other than the Bahamas, please let me know. Maine Cat is not bringing a 30 to the Miami boat show (only a 41), and I would like to find a way to spend a little time on it as soon as possible. If it is what we want, we'll buy it over the winter.

Thanks,

Kevin
kevinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 22:03   #2

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Also consider the PDQ 32 for a similar size and similar sailing boat. They both sail pretty well if not overloaded.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 22:28   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmac View Post
Anyway, if anyone has information about this boat, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Excellent choice, Kevin! The MC30 is really a fun little cat!

I would suggest that if you want to know anything/everything about the MaineCat line of vessels, you should talk to Dick Vermeulen directly. No one is going to be more intimately familiar with them than he is.

He is rightfully proud of his designs, the way they're built, and their many fine attributes.

If you go to Maine Cat: Home of the 30', 41' sailing catamarans, the new P-38 powered catamaran and bareboat Bahamas charters and click on the picture of the sailing MaineCat, then click on "Owners Speak", then click on Hull #46, Meadowlark, then click on Robin's Log, you'll be treated to a lengthy account of one couple's cruise from the NE down the east coast and through the Bahamas aboard a MC30. It's a good read.

I would have to think that if there's a MC30 available for charter outside of the Bahamas, Dick will know about that, as well.

Good luck to you.

TaoJones
Old 28-10-2007, 02:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Kevin, have you looked at the Seawind 1000XL, a great sailing cat quite fast, and a great social boat, able to have 10 of your friends join you for happy hour with room to move.

Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 06:27   #5

Yes I have Gordon, thanks for your reply. Everybody has different things they like. From pictures and such, it looks like the berths in the Seawind are all narrow, except for the master, and the master is arranged so that if two folks are sleeping together, one has to crawl over the other to get out of bed. Also, my wife is quite short (between the two of us, I think we cover the adult height range fairly well, she is 4' 11" and I am 6' 4") and she thinks it would be a challenge for her to even get in that berth.

BUT, if I have an opportunity to look at one, I will. Do you by chance know what what the width of the "end of hull" berths are on that boat?

Thanks again for your reply, and thanks to the other folks who have replied so far as well.

Kevin
Old 28-10-2007, 06:32   #6

Oh, and TaoJones, I had in fact just finished talking to Dick when I got your reply, and he was very helpful. Nice to have access to the builder/designer of a boat you are considering, and find him to be so willing to help. I did forget to ask him about charters though, so I sent him an email.

Evan, if I could find a PDQ 32 to look at, I would. I like the open design of the Maine Cat and Seawind better, but it would be a boat to consider. I suppose the TomCat 9.7 would be something to consider as well, but I prefer to buy used, and there are precious few 9.7s out there.

Kevin
Old 28-10-2007, 06:41   #7

Boat: Catana 471
Hi Kevin - I don't have any first hand experience with the boats you're discussing so far. But I wanted to remark that it sounds like you're progressing through a logical process that will lead you to the best boat for you. Stay the course! I wish you early success.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 11:11   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Hi folks,

We'll I got a heck of lot of help on my headroom thread,

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin,
Two things you want, I want also.
1) "Front loading" master bunk. Not "side loading" or too high.
2) Room to sleep a 6'4" body comfortably - Something around 7'.

If you have a typed list I would love to see it.
I am sure it would narrow things immediately and drasticly.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 20:03   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Kevin, I charterd a MC 30 in the Bahamas before buying my 41. It sailed pretty well, certainly as well as the Seawind1000 that I chartered in the Bay Area. More enjoyable in fact with more sensitive steering feel. The 1000 was our benchmark going into our cat search. Openness issue was the primary requirement. As well as sailing 'feel'. The master bunk is somewhat narrow on the Seawind,but that may have been addressed subsequently, can't say. Hydraulic steering was a turn off for me.

The MC30 master bunk is certainly end entry but your pillow will keep falling on the cabin sole and your feet will tickle the steering linkage bar.

All boats are a compromise. The 30 is great for summer time cruising/vacationing. The Seawind is the minimum for longer term livingaboard. The XL version looks awesome, I might have overlooked the other issues had that been available when I was shopping. The MC 41 is sort of a side/end partial crawl kind of berth. I probably won't do it when I'm 70 but I won't complain because I get so much more. Don't fixate on one or two features that in turn force other compromises. View a boat as an overall 'blend' of what you're after. What you think you need today, WON'T be what you will be looking for on your 'next' boat. It'll be something else. No 1 or 2 features should be the sole condition upon which you base your purchase. I believe it leads to too narrow a search that becomes frequently irrelevant 6 months after the purchase is made. Think total package.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 15:30   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Kevin, I don't know what price range you're considering, but I would also recommend older British Cats. Heavenly Twins or Catalac. They aren't performance boats but are very solid and the beam will fit into a 15' berth

Quote:
.....but I prefer to buy used, and there are precious few 9.7s out there.

Kevin
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine cat