Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 20:09   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Main Halyard line type

I have been happy with my New England Rope VPC.

Previously I had used Warpspeed that I had gotten at a great price.

While it did a good job, at 2 sizes smaller it was plenty strong and had little stretch, but I needed to fatten it up where it was engaged in the rope clutch. And stitch the core to the cover there as well. Even so, a hard jibe stripped the cover off the core.

Since I have a 2 part halyard (I'm assuming you do as well) the tail was long enough that I could end for end the halyard after pulling the cover back together and "patching" it together. IOW, the patch passed the clutch when the sail was only half way up.

You have already made your choice, and I'm guessing it's Dyneema with a cover. I'm just posting this to suggest that you stitch the cover to the core, extended a good way above the clutch.

Oh, my VPC? Perhaps the slickness of the cover--and I never noticed any problem slipping on my Andersen winch drums-- gave one benefit. The halyard never got twisted like it had before. But a funny thing happened at about 1 year. It loses its firmness over time to where the clutch cam (a Spinlock) wouldn't hold as tightly. Spinlock told me that is what was happening and I could either get a tighter cam -- or fatten the line, which is what I did

ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 23:02   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I gave up using a clutch on the main halyard. I found they wreck the cover, slip, and are difficult to release.

I just leave it on the winch now.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 05:40   #18

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I gave up using a clutch on the main halyard. I found they wreck the cover, slip, and are difficult to release.

I just leave it on the winch now.
If you ever want to give a clutch a try again, go for the Lewmar Domino. If it can grip VPC, it can grip anything. I haven't seen any wear at all on the cover, and it never slips. And the design won't jam the handle like a Spinlock.

On the downside, you can't just thread a line through it. You have to thread a piece of stiff wire through then pull the rope back into the clutch. And the handles work backward from what you're used to.

https://www.lewmar.com/node/13280
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:38   #19

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I replaced all four mast head halyards on my Gulfstar 41 (Main, Genoa, 2 Spinnaker halyards) three years ago.

All were 7/16" dyneema with a polyester cover. My rigger suggested that I add an eye splice to each end of each halyard.

The idea is to end for end all four halyards every year to help extend the halyard life. I do it every spring. It takes about 2 hours.

After three years, the halyards are a little stiffer and less slippery, but are not even close to needing to be replaced.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:51   #20

Boat: Baba 40

Our Annapolis guy says $$ if you’re a racer, otherwise, something like Stay-Set (or Stay-Set X) is perfectly okay. You’ll find “the hand” on the expensive stuff is stiff and kinda unwieldy. FWIW
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:56   #21

New England Ropes Endura Braid is an ideal halyard material. Well except for the cost that is.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 10:35   #22

I have down sized the halyard but put a sleeve on it where it runs through the clutch. Stitch the sleep tightly to the core to prevent slip and it makes the best of both worlds. Strong, no stretch, won’t slip in the clutch.

I also 2nd stasetX
kirklkjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 12:03   #23

Depends on your style and budget. Halyards are seldom replaced, so unless budget is very restrictive, get what you want.
That said, there is a big difference between a race boat and a live-a-board cruiser. We cruisers aren't concerned with getting every bit of performance. So a good-enough halyard like sta-set x has low stretch and is inexpensive compared to "almost-no stretch" like dyneema-core lines.
Most cruisers are OK with a little stretch. But get what you are comfortable using.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 13:20   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
If you ever want to give a clutch a try again, go for the Lewmar Domino. If it can grip VPC, it can grip anything. I haven't seen any wear at all on the cover, and it never slips. And the design won't jam the handle like a Spinlock.

On the downside, you can't just thread a line through it. You have to thread a piece of stiff wire through then pull the rope back into the clutch. And the handles work backward from what you're used to.

https://www.lewmar.com/node/13280
I had Lewmar domino clutches. (Still do, on headsail and spinnaker halyards.)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 13:26   #25

Just as a thread FYI, the OP has left the building.
He says he bought Dyneema.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:18   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Depends on your style and budget. Halyards are seldom replaced, so unless budget is very restrictive, get what you want.
That said, there is a big difference between a race boat and a live-a-board cruiser. We cruisers aren't concerned with getting every bit of performance. So a good-enough halyard like sta-set x has low stretch and is inexpensive compared to "almost-no stretch" like dyneema-core lines.
Most cruisers are OK with a little stretch. But get what you are comfortable using.
Sta set-x is a stiff line with a poor hand. It is also a pain to splice. There are modern lines with a blended core that have superior stretch specs, are easy to splice and a fair bit less expensive than straight dyneema core lines. On most boats you are gonna get 10 years plus out of a halyard, so putting a little extra money upfront might not be a bad idea,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 16:15   #27

First, I'm sorry about the catamaran. If you take ASA 101, 103, and 104, all your questions will be answered. Good luck.

conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard