Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 02:22   #16

Boat: Robertson & Caine 4600
Re: Lost My Port Shroud

Thanks for all the comments....I am going for the inspection.
CB III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 04:57   #17

Possibly a manufacturing defect??
Selden Mast Issues Recall on Forestay Fittings | Cruising Compass
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 11:31   #18

So here is the follow up to what happened to our shroud...and another question. The gibb tang where it was inserted into the mast, cracked and eventually gave way. This was the lower shroud. We unstepped the mast and found one other gibb tang showed signs of a crack. The rigger had never came across this type of failure before. By coincidence, I had Gino Morrelli with me, the boat's designer, and he had never heard of this type of failure. The boat is 6 years old. Basically, there appears to be a defect in the gibb tangs. The rigger notified the manufacturer and the boats designer was to alert Robertson & Caine.

My question...to unstep & step the mast along with replacing the two lower shrouds, I received a bill from the yard of $8k. I was quoted $12/ft to unstep & step the mast, plus $90/hr for the inspection of the rig. The shrouds were quoted at $720 each. So, a bit surprised to see the final bill. I was expecting a bill of around $3k to $4k. Can anyone shed some light on what is resonable for this type of work? This is the first time I have had to deal with the mast / rig.

Thx
Old 20-06-2012, 11:55   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Ye gods, I thought the pirates only lived in Somalia. $3k for complete replacement of all the standing and running rigging on this side of the pond 18 months ago, all be it the boat is a little smaller.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 11:56   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

That's why a visit to a boatyard is better than a date. At the boatyard you know for sure that you'll be getting IT.
Old 20-06-2012, 12:17   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a very common advice that when one failed the opposite has apparently received the same amount of wear and thus should be replaced at the same time. I think it was Navtec that wrote every 6 years, not? Replacement time.

The minimum I would do is go up the mast and have a good look at all the fittings/terminals - are exits clean? are they properly aligned? are there any further signs of immediate failure? I guess this is what your rigger will do.

Etc. no rocket science. Replace regularly and you may be fine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 13:05   #22

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Gibb was absorbed years ago by Lewmar, I'm not sure who supplies that trade name now. I'd recommend learning to inspect the rig yourself using the dye etc... then you would just be paying for the mast removal. It sounds like your mast is pumping, are you using toggles on the tangs to allow for movement?
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 14:28   #23

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

just had a cow.............8K................the steaks just got thicker................seams a bit high to me

I hired a rigger from a well know rigging shop here in toronto and he came out to help me take down the mast and he did the full inspection...........he charged me $150.00 for the inspection....the yard charged me $150 to bring down the mast and put it on saw horses.....they will also charge me $150 to crane it back up and I will hire the rigger to come back and adjust............my rigg was fine other than an anchor light.....

this is what happened to me this month........I am not totaly sure what happened with you
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 15:04   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Navicula,

8K$ sounds VERY high for what was done. At the very least, I would require a detailed invoice showing where all that money went. I think that you are being had.

You can get an idea of what the shrouds should cost by knowing their length, looking up the cost/foot of 1/2 inch wire and the cost of the end terminals. Add a few bucks each for swaging, and then compare your results with the $720 they charged you. There will be some labour time added, but it should only take 10 minutes or so per swage.

It almost sounds like you were dealing with an hospital instead of a boatyard!!

Good luck with it...

Jim
Old 20-06-2012, 17:09   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

If each shroud was 720 then 8k for the whole job sound way to pricey. How did they break it up in the invoice?

We always ask for quote before we hire anybody. If we see the invoice vary too much from the quote, we always insist on hearing why the difference while looking very deep into the speaker's eyes ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 17:44   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB III
So here is the follow up to what happened to our shroud...and another question. The gibb tang where it was inserted into the mast, cracked and eventually gave way. This was the lower shroud. We unstepped the mast and found one other gibb tang showed signs of a crack. The rigger had never came across this type of failure before. By coincidence, I had Gino Morrelli with me, the boat's designer, and he had never heard of this type of failure. The boat is 6 years old. Basically, there appears to be a defect in the gibb tangs. The rigger notified the manufacturer and the boats designer was to alert Robertson & Caine.

My question...to unstep & step the mast along with replacing the two lower shrouds, I received a bill from the yard of $8k. I was quoted $12/ft to unstep & step the mast, plus $90/hr for the inspection of the rig. The shrouds were quoted at $720 each. So, a bit surprised to see the final bill. I was expecting a bill of around $3k to $4k. Can anyone shed some light on what is resonable for this type of work? This is the first time I have had to deal with the mast / rig.

Thx
Was it a written quote?

When I bought my boat there was a "guy" taking care of it engaged by the PO. The PO gave me what maintenance records he had and they looked high and were not detailed at all.

The first time he did work for me I asked for a written quote broken out by parts, labor and services. He looked at me like I was from the moon. I further told him that I would pay cost plus 10% for parts and specified a labor rate and the quote should have his hour estimation.

The only thing that can change a quote is additional unplanned work and that needs to be approved in a advance. After receiving the quote ai alwqys soecified a not to exceed number. i.e. quote of $2,000 - Not to exceed $2,400. That way if there is a creep he can go ahead without delay. The extra cost still must be explained
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 14:28   #27

Thanks for the replys. I had most of what was done in writing, but did not have the request to contact me if it exceeded their quote. Your comments are very helpful and the bill, which was itemized, will be be strongly contested. Since this is the first time dealing with unstepping of the mast, I just did not understand reasonable practice & costs. I expect to pay a premium for this higher end marina, but almost 2.5x's what it should have cost....I feel violated! Thanks again.

Tags
shroud