Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 02:18   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Looking to Retire at 43 and Sail a Cat - What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Are you SURE you need such a large craft? Smaller is better for many people--easier to get into rivers over bars--can get closer to islands out of strong winds--can be easily beached, cheaper to maintain--easier to handle, smaller marina berths required, cheaper insurance and less fuel and smaller sails etc--cheaper ghaul-outs for antifouling etc
|
I bought a 42 footer. Thirty eight would have easily been adequate--but we did not discover this until much later. The possessions and tools load expands to fill the space available--

Buy the smallest boat you can tolerate. You will travel further because it will cost you less to do so.

I doubt that the OP will heed your advice. This thread has been dead for 7 years
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 03:51   #107

Andre, I can fully relate to what you're saying, I'm in the exact same situation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Andre,
I understand you, and I am also 42 and also feel like retiring and ask myself why cant I just brake the ties and go out and circumnavigate. But then I realized something, you and I, are bored with what we do. My advise to you would be the following: 1st) can you relocate your business? 2) Do you have someone you can trust to run your business while your are gone? 3) Buy the boat you want and do a nice long trip, circumnavigate the globe, if its what you like you will keep doing it, if its not you will quit in one year or less but you will have fulfilled your needs.
Do not rush to buy a house somewhere else, take your kids off school for one year , (they will learn far more underway anyway). When you are done, you can settle wherever you want.
BTW I also seek help but only in the right Catamaran department, I am already selling my house to go for a long trip and then decide where to settle again.
If you have any comments on a good used Cat under 48 feet and under USD 400k let me know.
Best of luck on you decision.
Augusto
eugene presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:26   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieFan View Post

Cruising season in North America is winter. If you need to do it in summer, it might be best to look to the Mediterranean or Southern hemisphere. Problem is that I always hear stories about keeping a boat in the Med involving lots of European red tape and high taxes.

This is actually a nice option. Get a lower cost house in the states and a boat that you spend the summer on in the Med. Look for a bargain or move a block or two off the water to keep the house cost down.

Well, most cruising is about getting away from civilization, and that often requires cooking. You CAN cruise places with restaurants, but you end up on shore as often as you're on the boat. Are you just looking for a floating hotel to sleep on? There may be more economical alternatives.

That's odd...we find that cruising is a great way to be part of civilization. Even in crazy expensive places like NYC, a slip is often cheaper than a hotel room and most major centers of civilization (aka: cities) were originally started as a port, so marinas are often right in the heart of the historic area.

It sounds like you don't like the idea of being in a remote anchorage with nobody else around. Most cruisers are looking for exactly that.

SOME cruisers like that. A large percentage use cruising as a means of visiting cultural centers or a mix of isolation and civilization.
To the OP: With your budget, you have lots of options but that is balanced against lots of requirements. Way too many variables but I would lean toward a liveaboard marina in Florida and skip the house. The biggest challenge is how to be foot loose and fancy free while being tied to a school district.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 08:42   #109

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

OK so what happened here? Anybody know. This thread started in 2009 right when the big crash was happening