Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2009, 20:33   #76

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I fully agree with muskoka yet I think that it is far better to retire in your early 30's
Make your life simple!
Simple is the key! It's also a lot of fun.

Old 22-10-2009, 01:52   #77

Boat: getting there
I think it all depends on the budget, type of life you want to have and whether it is a full time retirement. I am aiming at 25% but I really want a simple life on my boat, hence I won't need too much.
$2m is for sure enough to make a living while cruising the world and you don't even have to spend more than 5% to buy a decent boat.

Old 22-10-2009, 08:19   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
$2m is for sure enough to make a living while cruising the world and you don't even have to spend more than 5% to buy a decent boat.
Hmm, I've not seen any world cruising capable catamarans available for $100,000. Based on my research you're looking at $300-400k for a good used boat and $500 - $700k for new. Were you including monohulls in your price range?
Old 22-10-2009, 09:19   #79

Is this some sort of provocation, or what? You can't be serious.
Some well maintained, ready to sail 30-35ft cats start at $75k.
You can even find used 33ft Gemini 105mc for this price and they are commonly used by liveaboards all over the world.

It all depends on your expectations. I don't think there is a 50in TV or satelite broadband or a jacuzzi in the package with Gemini's, hence some folks may not like it. But lets face it. The lighter (simpler) the boat, the more fun you get sailing it.

The equation is easy:
simple boat = fun to sail + cheap to buy + cheap to maintain + helps you escape the rat race sooner

The other option is to get a picture of your dream $600k boat, frame it and put it on your desk at work.

So what's your choice?

And if you don't need a hot shower in the morning then why not to get yourself a $14k catamaran? This thread can give you some info. And this page as well. They even have one for sale!
I know that most folks will consder this too hardcore. It's all about the mindset anyway.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:24   #80

I wasn't trying to provoke, just not well informed about world cruising in a catamaran (obviously). I was under the impression from my research to date that attempting to cross oceans in a catamaran under 40 feet is folly. Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:41   #81
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
SIT --

I wouldn't say that doing it in an under 40 is necessarily folly, assuming that it is a well built boat in good repair.

As you get smaller, though, there are certain paradoxical problems that you encounter. Smaller generally means slower, which means it takes longer, which means you need more food, stores, fuel -- but you have less space (and load carrying capacity) in which to put it, which then tends to slow you down even more, and so on.

However, lots of under 40's have crossed oceans and with smart provisioning there's no reason a cruiser can't do it.

There's also no doubt that once you get a bit bigger, these compromises become less of an issue and you gain comfort, seakindliness, and (usually, all other things being equal) a bit of speed.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 09:45   #82

I was only joking. But I seriously thought that you may have some kind of strange expectations towards the boat. Many people do.

There were some ocean crossings in OPEN dinghies!! I think a Wayfarer is the most popular in this category

And people successfully circumnavigated in small 20ft boats. Therefore I think that a 30ft cat is safe enough.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:47   #83

No worries Kurt. Thanks for the info.

Cheers!
Old 22-10-2009, 09:55   #84

Sorry for OT Andre.
I think that skills play the key role here. I would not do ocean crossing at the moment, whether on a 30ft or 60ft boat.
It's not the boat that makes the sailor!
Old 22-10-2009, 10:26   #85

StuckInTexas, for some info about under 100k cats you can read this thread.

Andre, do you want to live in or near USA or are your plans not restricted geographically?
I am asking, because that could change quite a lot. What you can get outside of US are: cheaper houses, 90% lower costs of healthcare, lower costs of insurance, less expensive education, etc... That would put you in completely different position.
Southern Europe is reasonably priced, but there are some nice and cheap places in Asia to think about. And there are schools for expats/diplomats where your kids could receive education in English.
Old 22-10-2009, 11:05   #86

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
If your burnt out, take 2 months off at home with the family...get to know them ...it will be even more intense on board.

Ask the kids if they want to do what you want to do. Then ask the kids what they want to do.

Then do it!

Q1
p.s. I had an episode a while back where I wanted to move, get a bigger house etc. I asked the kids about it. We live in the same house 4 years later and everybody is happy. I bought a trailer sailor to sail where I want to, when I want to and the on board gaz BBQ does most of the cooking. I think your already set just ask the kids!
Old 22-10-2009, 16:33   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post

Retirement takes a lot of money if you're going to live another 30-40 years! And you really don't want to sink an overly large proportion of your weath into a cash-hungry, depreciating asset.

Dang!
I messed up then.

Want to buy a Gem?
Old 24-10-2009, 03:23   #88
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
you're right. and only one of my boat-owner friends is retired. the rest including myself still gotta slog it out for another decade or so...
;-)
Old 24-10-2009, 08:31   #89

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
RE: 40 feet
while we've clearly crossed to the dark side, presumably for good... we've also crossed oceans and have some idea what the challenges are like.
i also think it folly to cross oceans on a < 40' catamaran. first, there are the technical arguments about stability of cats < 40'. perhaps more important, if your budget doesn't support a > 40' catamaran... there are 1000's of safe, ocean-worthy monohulls that will carry more gear and keep you much safer than a small catamaran for less money.
Old 25-10-2009, 16:50   #90

Great thread!

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread and just have to add my 2 cents...

We have homeschooled an 18 year old on his way (hopefully) to the USNA in Annapolis. He was born in Tortola after a Prussers Bar nickel beer night and back onboard our 36' sloop in three days with Mom!

My 11 year old has never been in a public school and if I have my say he never will.

Homeschooling is not about educating like we were raised. It is about teaching values, responsibility, accountability, consequences, thinking for yourself, how to find the answer and most importantly about family.

The 18 year old is holding off hoping we can sell our horse farm and go back cruising for a year or two b4 he heads off.

Anyone can homeschool - and should. It is a vital part of raising (not growing) great kids to be great adults! Plus they don't have to be indoctrinated!

My worthless advice? Go now. You can always sell real estate!

(And maybe it is time to learn how to cook fresh fish, and fix broken heads)

Its your karma!

hehe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: