Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2009, 21:09   #16

Boat: Cal 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson1990 View Post
Do you want an Honest answer? do you really ? I will give you an honest answer as long as you and my felow forummites dont get mad at me,okay?
tell me you want an honest answer and i will tell you .
Watson
I'm cringing in advance. :-)
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 21:14   #17

Boat: none...
Dear Watson- please give me a honest answer.

I feel everyone has given very honest answers. No two people are the same. similar -but not the same. what makes one person happy might not make the next. that is what makes the world so special .

so now then - what is the answer?
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 21:32   #18

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter windsor View Post
Cash up move to New Zealand,Great sailing,Buy cheap property ,great custom boat builders.Cheap marinas and great lamb.Sail to Pacific Islands in winter,meet you for a cold beer!
Shoot over to Tassie for some better beer (lol) and enjoy some of the best cruising water in the world! Best wishes whatever!
Old 20-09-2009, 21:44   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
Hi,
I guess the first thing i would mention is: you have 2 large liquid and you are asking us for advice? I think not.
second thing is: I retired at 52 with lots of liquid.the wife of 33 years became bored.I caught her with the full time maintenance man..I got out of it cheap at about 175 K. cash.
but that is still a lot of cash to part with..made me go back to work for a few years. You describe your situation briefly,,,I believe that the version of the story you presented to us is just that...the "Cliff Notes "
A lot ,that is very important,you didn't tell us ...we don't really need to know it all. but we need to know it all if you are asking us what to do with your money ..how to invest..you don't come to a sailing web forum asking how to invest 2 million dollars,,if you really are,,,then you are an idiot and you won't have the 2 mil very long.
i don't mean to be rude ,,,however.....
Sorry .Thats what I think
Watson
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 22:04   #20

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Hi,
I guess the first thing i would mention is: you have 2 large liquid and you are asking us for advice? I think not.

Watson
Just because a guy made "2 large" at selling foreclosures does not make him a good investor or a financial wiz. Hell, look at all the sports figures that have made millions playing team sports and then end up broke later on once it runs out. Cruisers Forum certainly is not an investment advice forum but people talk all the time on here about how they finance the dream.
Old 20-09-2009, 22:07   #21

Sorry , I forgot an item.
you say that neither of you are much into cooking...okay
when you go out to dinner twice a week you are spending,for those two meals,what it would cost you to eat for at least two weeks ..you two and a few rug rats .$100.00 a night if you are very conservative..prolly closer to $200...thats at least $200 a week minimum,prolly more like 300-400. For $200 you can buy at the VERY LEAST one full weeks worth of food that,,most likely 2 weeks because we know how to cook and its actually good for you...instead of the crap the restaurants serve you....you need to learn how to cook.
i live in New Hampshire and during the winter we get snowed in sometimes..2 days ...rarely but now and then 3 days...we can live from our freezer for a week becuse we know how to cook ,how to get by that is the biggest difference between we yankees and you out west in tinsle town..... we are like the farmers of north dakota..yoou are not ,from what i hear .
i don't mean to be insulting,,,but sometimes the truth is the only answer..there will be many who will disagre with me..thats okay,,lots of different opinions here.
Thats my 2 cents worth

W
Old 20-09-2009, 22:20   #22

Quote:
..we can live from our freezer for a week becuse we know how to cook ,how to get by that is the biggest difference between we yankees and you out west in tinsle town.....
W

LOL!!!! Yeah, nobody ever cooks out west, we dont even have kitchens in our houses or our boats !!!!! YOu must have learned this from a hollywood movie or something.
Old 20-09-2009, 22:50   #23

Hi Keegan,
No, i learned it from reading his original message. he said that they were not very good in the cooking arena.
please take a minute and go back,read his original post,and then take your cocky answer back to tinsle town .
I have a few other adjectives i would prefer to use as an asnwer to your cocky comment,,,but i will save them for another time,,,but ,please consider your self insulted

"CAN YOU SAY ARROGANT?" SHER,I KNEW YOU COULD
Old 20-09-2009, 22:59   #24

Quote:
Hi Keegan,
No, i learned it from reading his original message. he said that they were not very good in the cooking arena.
please take a minute and go back,read his original post,and then take your cocky answer back to tinsle town .
I have a few other adjectives i would prefer to use as an asnwer to your cocky comment,,,but i will save them for another time,,,but ,please consider your self insulted

"CAN YOU SAY ARROGANT?" SHER,I KNEW YOU COULD
No worries

Happy Sailing.
Old 20-09-2009, 23:19   #25

a comment from 'the wife'

Thanks to everyone for responding to Vegasandre's post. I appreciate the dissection of our hopeful situation. Andre and I both understand we have a lot to learn and handle if we are going to make this new lifestyle work for us and our family. There are so many variables. And we would like to get it right!

Moving to Vegas almost 10 years ago was a gigantic change from living on the Jersey shore. We've made it work, but as Andre said, we miss living near the ocean. Being in Vegas has spoiled us with wonderful weather, no bugs, entertainment and dining.. (yes, I understand we need to cook at home more).

Of course this is not a forum for financial advice.. but everyone will have some to give, and that's ok. What works for some might not work for the rest.. Understood!

In his 'cliffnotes' version of our situation, Andre didn't mention that it took us 14 years to actual purchase our boat. With that said, we've worked hard, we do research, we don't jump in head first. Yes, we love sailing, and our kids are starting to appreciate our times on our boat escaping from the desert.

So any comments on where to start this new adventure are greatly welcome. Maybe with some help from you, we can narrow down one or two destinations to call home. I guess what I would also like to know is what hasn't worked for some of you. If you had a 'do-over' what would it be?
calliope30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 23:45   #26

Boat: Cal 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by calliope30 View Post
Thanks to everyone for responding to Vegasandre's post. I appreciate the dissection of our hopeful situation. Andre and I both understand we have a lot to learn and handle if we are going to make this new lifestyle work for us and our family. There are so many variables. And we would like to get it right!
What a great grounded answer. Thanks for sharing that.

Personally, I have home-schooled my nephews and it's a ton of work, but I loved every minute. Six months of that and I knew them better than their own mother. I'm sure it's not for everyone though.

Unfortunately, most of us can't take 6 months off work, so it's off to school for the kids. :-)

I actually don't have any kids and as a result, I plan to "retire"* when I have about $200k saved, but I drive a 1989 Ford and live in a $30,000 condo right now (about to move aboard my 34' monohull), so obviously, my expectations are different.

But I own just about everything I have free and clear (other than the former house/current rental property that is badly upside down). Losing the house (being forced to rent it out, rather than miss the mortgage) humbled me a bit. I spent a few weeks in a weekly motel and I met some people who inspired me to make some changes.

I worked out a deal to move into this condo and sold my fancy car and most of my possessions, because I realized it wasn't the possessions that brought me happiness, and then I bought the boat and now I plan on living there and maybe taking off in a year for a 6 month sabbatical.

I make a 6 figure salary, I'm still in my 20s and I regard the obsession with fancy cars (and such things) as the primary failing of our culture. So now I make $100k and I live on $20k. I'm hoping to retire sooner rather than later. I realized that working more and working harder wasn't the solution to retiring early. Being a student of people, I realized that focusing on making more money, or working longer, in order to "put away" more money backfires more than it succeeds. Something about life being the journey and not the destination and human nature being a foil to our desires for long term planning.

Everyone is different, but with $2 million dollars, I feel like I could live off interest alone indefinitely, cruise around the world on an amazing boat AND feed several villages in Africa for years, while funding my 3 nephews' education. heh

Of course, I watched my grandmother simply blow through almost $10 million in retirement money on lavish dining and entertainment and now she is too old to work, broke and living in a home, so my opinions may be biased by that as well.

I'm going to leave it at that. I'm just trying to share my experience (or some might say, lack of) and not intending to lecture or criticize. But as Benjamin Franklin so eloquently said:

“He that is rich need not live sparingly, and he that can live sparingly need not be rich.”

and I say

"just make sure you know which you are"

Best wishes.

* when i say "retire" I mean the transition from the time when you "need to work" to the ability to "work when the desire comes"
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 23:51   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
If you had a 'do-over' what would it be?
There is not much I would do differently than the way we did. Thats not saying we did things perfectly... we hardly did anything well! But what I mean is that there are very few fatal mistakes. As long as you have your heads screwd on, have inteligent thought processes and make reasonable decisions then things will work out right for you too.

The very, very few that come to grief are either nutters (and we see a few here) and those with astoundingly bad luck. The nutters outnumber the bad luckers 100:1.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 00:05   #28

Boat: Allegro 33
Go with your gut or the familygut, thats your best compass./Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 00:21   #29

Quote:

Moving to Vegas almost 10 years ago was a gigantic change from living on the Jersey shore. We've made it work, but as Andre said, we miss living near the ocean. Being in Vegas has spoiled us with wonderful weather, no bugs, entertainment and dining.. (yes, I understand we need to cook at home more).

Of course this is not a forum for financial advice.. but everyone will have some to give, and that's ok. What works for some might not work for the rest.. Understood!

In his 'cliffnotes' version of our situation, Andre didn't mention that it took us 14 years to actual purchase our boat. With that said, we've worked hard, we do research, we don't jump in head first. Yes, we love sailing, and our kids are starting to appreciate our times on our boat escaping from the desert.

So any comments on where to start this new adventure are greatly welcome. Maybe with some help from you, we can narrow down one or two destinations to call home. I guess what I would also like to know is what hasn't worked for some of you. If you had a 'do-over' what would it be?
I think Calliope ,the most important sentence I have seen here on this post ,is your response.i don't mean to belittle your husband at all.But it is refreshing to hear the same thoughts from the spouse,whether it is a him or a her...that is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of any sailing experience.Ifyou want it and he doesn't forget about it
if he wants it and you don't,,forget about it.
You just passed sailing 201 congrats !!!!
Old 21-09-2009, 05:43   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
You can study, think about, ponder, analize, till you go gray OR you can consider my setup in Key West. Real estate is good for you but bad for me so I have to liquidate. I retired at 46 and so glad I did, enjoyed cruising for 12 years now, (truly the only way to go). Have a look see at www.silentfaith.mysite.com
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote