Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2007, 15:05   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
I wasn't defending the 420, I was opposed to your shall we say antagonistic and confrontational comments. Whether I think it compares or not has nothing to do with the fact that I respect the owner's right to choose his own boat and not be insuting him just because it was not my choice or that it may or may not perform as well.

I originally ordered a 440 electric. However Solomon motors fell out in the middle of my contract period and my choices were an electric motor with no warranty, a cloudy future with no firm delivery date, or go diesel. Looking back diesel was the right choice for me, but I would still prefer an electric boat if it was working properly, but it is now water over the dam.
Consider yourself lucky.......you have a great boat!
Hybrid propulsion would have ruined it.
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 17:12   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
How about this? Fusion Catamaran Whitsunday - Bareboat Charter Whitsundays

Much better sailing boat than a Lagoon.
The location of the helm station looks pretty weird, how is the visibility from that spot if you always have to look through two windows and the cabin to see anything? Can you see the corners of the boat?
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 17:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren View Post
The location of the helm station looks pretty weird, how is the visibility from that spot if you always have to look through two windows and the cabin to see anything? Can you see the corners of the boat?
Agree.....also the bridgdeck clearance looks way low.....could be a slammer

The Lagoon 440 does not slam like the voyages or the 420
Badgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 18:20   #19

There is a hatch above the helm from where you can look over the boat. Actually I thought the helm station on the Lagoon 440 looked weird. Each to his/her own I guess.

Bridgedeck clearance on the Fusion is 800mm. I haven't been able to find the bridgedeck clearance spec on a Lagoon 440. Not even on Lagoon's own website. I Wonder why?

Fusion 40 (sport) specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
L.O.A............................................1 2.8 metres 42ft
B.O.A...........................................7. 2 metres 23' 6"
Draft with Boards ...................................700 mm 28"
Headroom in hulls.................................1.95 metres 6'4"
Headroom in bridgedeck .............................1.95 metres 6' 4"
Mast height .......................................18.3 metres 60ft
Sail area (main + headsails)...........................161 square metres
Payload.........................................18 50 kilograms
Displacement.....................................4 ,980 kilograms
Displacement Light Ship ..............................3,906.33 kilograms
B/Deck clearance...................................800mm
Fuel capacity......................................300 litres
Water capacity .....................................700 litres
Motors..........................................2 x 30hp Diesel Saildrives
Motoring speed - cruising .............................8 knots
Motoring speed - top .................................9.5 knots
Sailing speed ......................................10-20 knots

At the recent Hog's Breath multihull rendezvous, a Fusion 40 often finished in front of a new FP Eluthera 60. I think it would have done better than a Lagoon 440, but no-one cared to enter one in the event.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 18:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
There is a hatch above the helm from where you can look over the boat. Actually I thought the helm station on the Lagoon 440 looked weird. Each to his/her own I guess.
Ahh, So the idea is you stand on the ledge in front of the seat? I wasn't comparing to a 440, I think the flybridge of the 440 is too high and isolated for my taste. *shrug*
Old 23-09-2007, 15:32   #21

Location: Currently sailing the islands off Venezuela headed for Panama
Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran: Famous Potatoes
We went through the same kind of search you are now on and ended up buying an Admiral 38 cat in Capetown, South Africa. It sailed beautifully in the rather rough conditions off South Africa and the sail across the Atlantic was delightful. We are now circumnavigating the Caribbean. I am the chef in the family and love to cook. We lost interest in the Lagoon immediately because of the small galley. You may enjoy taking a look at our website. One of the first articles I posted was about our search for the perfect catamaran and how we discovered the Admiral. We adore this boat! Our website is web.mac.com/famoupotatoes2. You can contact me through the website and I'll be happy to correspond with you if you have any questions.
Dream on and dream together.
des4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:27   #22

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren View Post
Ahh, So the idea is you stand on the ledge in front of the seat? I wasn't comparing to a 440, I think the flybridge of the 440 is too high and isolated for my taste. *shrug*
Hmmm...By definition a fly bridge improves visibility from its increased height. I was impressed by that.
Five people were able to join me at the helm so I never felt isolated. When in a traditional helm position my back was always to the people in the cockpit and there was seldom room for more than one person. Any more and they would have to stand in an awkward position. It's not that I find a traditional helm layout isolating, but the fly bridge makes the helm station a much more social area on the boat than a traditional layout. Not that there are not any drawbacks to the 440. It was just these two issues that made the 440 an exceptional (out of the ordinary) boat in my view. Some may not like it. It is certainly not a low sleek boat. I keep thinking of it as a cheesebox on a raft (remember the Monitor).
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 17:39   #23

Quote:
Hmmm...By definition a fly bridge improves visibility from its increased height. I was impressed by that.
True enough. But I wasn't thinking about the height so much as looking over the cabin is less obstructed then looking through the cabin. Although, even on my 380 when you look through the cabin you're looking under the sails and so get a better view in some cases.

Normally, it's just my wife and I out sailing, and she prefers to spend most of her time in the main salon. It wouldn't work with me up on a fly bridge and her inside, but again, it's just personal taste.
Old 23-09-2007, 22:33   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Wow...thanks for all the information everyone. Time to dig in and spend some serious time looking at the sources you posted and with with Mr. Google.

Thanks everyone!
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 00:07   #25

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Five people were able to join me at the helm so I never felt isolated.
Wait til the weather turns rough and you are offshore. You'll feel pretty isolated up there then

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 06:10   #26

this is a pretty late response, but that is why we have an inside helm.
Old 16-01-2008, 08:28   #27

Boat: Catana 471
Hey sail4evr - if your 440 is the same vessel as the "Sea of Love" charter boat managed by Cat Co, I booked a charter on your boat in Sept. 06 for a charter in June 07. The L440 was then at the top of my list, all things considered, and I wanted to charter one to make sure. Right after booking that charter and even buying plane tickets, I stumbled into an opportunity too good to pass up and bought my boat. As a result, we cancelled the charter on "Sea of Love." I hope Cat Co was able to re-book it. If they weren't, please accept my apologies and I'll buy you a beer someday when we meet up in the islands.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 09:38   #28

Hi Dave,
Could you be more specific about the week you chartered? I appreciate the notice.
Thanks
Joe
PS Good luck on your new boat and lets have that beer anyway.
Old 16-01-2008, 09:47   #29

Boat: Catana 471
Joe - I don't recall the exact dates of our booked charter. It was actually for late May 07, not June 07 (correction to my post above). To make sure I didn't confuse you - we cancelled the booking >90 days before the charter date and did not charter at all. This is not about a current booking! This is almost ancient history.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 09:49   #30

Oh allright I was thinking 08 not 07. Its history now, lets have that beer.