Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 15:19   #1

Boat: TBD
Looking for Privilege 51 knowledge

Hello fellow sea lovers !

Thanks to an absurd amount of luck, I might be soon in a position to acquire a Privilege 51 for a ridiculous price that I estimate to be way under current market price.

Although, I would have to make the move within a month which is a really short time to get familiar with the boat, its issues and what to look out for, as I will be really busy during this time and will have limited opportunities to visit.

A quick type of 'Privilege 51' in the search bar only gives me general Privilege infos sadly and I couldn't find anything specific to this boat line.

So does anyone own or has sailed on a Privilege 51 with hulls build 1993 - 1997 and knows of defects and specific problems to look out for ?

Thanks a bunch !
Fair winds.
Bob Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 15:32   #2

Boat: Leopard 48
Re: Looking for Privilege 51 knowledge

Is this yacht in the Caribbean? I have forgotten the name of the yacht but there was a 51 that was struck by lightning so make sure you ask if that is the case. I remember they had to replace all the electronics and unfortunately they also had holes in the hull as a result.
owenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 16:22   #3

No she is situated in Europe and looking damageless from pics.
Old 22-11-2017, 23:53   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

There aren't many 51s, try search for 48. Same boat but many more of them around. 51 has extended transoms and there weren't many built before the 465/495 came along to replace it.

One common problem on Privileges is water damage to the lovely wood interior, particularly under the large saloon windows. The seal occasionally fails and unless fixed VERY quickly, cosmetic damage will be done.

Hope it turns out to be good.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 00:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
There aren't many 51s, try search for 48. Same boat but many more of them around. 51 has extended transoms and there weren't many built before the 465/495 came along to replace it.

One common problem on Privileges is water damage to the lovely wood interior, particularly under the large saloon windows. The seal occasionally fails and unless fixed VERY quickly, cosmetic damage will be done.

Hope it turns out to be good.
Thanks a lot ! Much appreciated
Old 25-11-2017, 12:59   #6

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

PRIVILEGE 51 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 20:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morane View Post
Hello fellow sea lovers !

Thanks to an absurd amount of luck, I might be soon in a position to acquire a Privilege 51 for a ridiculous price that I estimate to be way under current market price.

Although, I would have to make the move within a month which is a really short time to get familiar with the boat, its issues and what to look out for, as I will be really busy during this time and will have limited opportunities to visit.

A quick type of 'Privilege 51' in the search bar only gives me general Privilege infos sadly and I couldn't find anything specific to this boat line.

So does anyone own or has sailed on a Privilege 51 with hulls build 1993 - 1997 and knows of defects and specific problems to look out for ?

Thanks a bunch !
Fair winds.
I looked at one in RI couple years ago that had a horrible case of big blisters! beware!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege