Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 17:49   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for Point of Views on the best sailing Catamaran for a couple who cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmBrook View Post
That's pretty funny actually
I try to amuse..
99 times out of 100..
It don't work..
look out folks.. that was the 1..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 18:21   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
My opinion may differ from others but go as small as you feel comfortable with and as simple as you can. All the bells and whistles are great.....while they work, but that's what it usually translates to is work and money. If you have lots of money to throw around go big and get all the bells and whistles, but expect to pay the price. If you are budget conscious go smaller and simpler.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 18:50   #33

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Looking for Point of Views on the best sailing Catamaran for a couple who cruise

Dont get to caught up in what anyone recomends me included. Walk through as many as you can and while your on them think how is this going to work for me?
Look at the onboard systems and imagine working on them. Look at the sleeping arrangements do you have to climb over your partner to use the head? Galley up galley down what do you like, because valid arguments can be made for both. Bridge deck clearance is important but what is enough, higher usually means more windage less upwind capability. Lower means your going to be pounding in some conditions. Heres what I have learned about clearance so far. Dont try and sail a high as the boat will go and slamming becoms much less of an issue. If your motoring strait into short chop your going to slam a little. Most cats are coming with sail drives now, the good news is they are pretty reliable now and on most cats having sail drives means you get the engines out from under the bunks. The bad news you wont be working on the engines in bad weather. Dagger boards or fixed keels? Again its going to be your preferance and valid arguments for both abound. Final thought some folks on this forum will tell you the only catamaran that is sound is an old privalage, catalac, wharram etc. I wouldn't put much faith in blanket statements like that, instead narrow your search down to the boats you and your partner like then join the corresponding owner groups to get a better feel for the strengths and weeknesses of a particular yacht. Before you buy personaly get on board and look over the boat closely, take notes, then if you like what you see hire an independant surveyer and compare notes with his findings. Do this and you will sleep better at night.

Good luck with your search
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 04:17   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Looking for Point of Views on the best sailing Catamaran for a couple who cruise

The gemini legacy 35 is a very different boat compared to the smallest Leapord and Lagoon. Definitely single hand freindly but it's a miniature cat vs the other two in multiple ways. Currently
I am favoring the FP Mahe as the ideal go between, single hand possible plus three feet more beam and an actual bridge deck clearance that's maintained from bow to stern.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 04:48   #35

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I Agree with Shatkis, view as many as you can, Charter several as well. There is a Charter co down on Stock Island that has the Mahe, Venezia, and I think some large Lagoons, there are also several large cat brokerages, companies around Ft Lauderdale, Miami,(if your in that area for the boat show in February) Make a list of what things are critical to each of you, galley items, layout, cockpit, etc, its easy to "Fall in love" with a boat than later realize after a month theres several things your not so in love with. With your budget alot of good boats in that range. Mantas are very robust, and handle well, interior volume I have read is really similar to most 38's, Not sure if you could find a Antares 44 used in that range but they are sweet. but there are lots more, best wishes!!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 05:20   #36

Boat: F.P. Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmBrook View Post
Yeah I agree, I don't want any more boat that what's needed. I hear such mixed opinions on 380's and Gemini's it's not clear which would best suit or needs
Me and my wife have been onboard L380 and Gemini 34 but not sailed them. I must say the Gemini 34 was a very cramped boat compared to the L380. Head room, galley up and a large cockpit is important for wanting to stay onboard.
We have a Lipari ourselves.
Tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 05:44   #37

We are biased having a Gemini 3400 that we find perfect for our usage.

The Gemini and the L380 are totally different boats. The L380 is going to feel cramped comared to some of the 60' room-a-marans. It's an apples & oranges comparison. Keep in mind an L380 of similar vintage and condition will cost a lot more than a Gemini.

In addition to cost, how do you see your cruising? If you will be anchored out 95% of the time, wide beam is good. If you go into marinas or like to sneak into well protected very shallow anchorages frequently, the Gemini wins out.

I suggest thinking about the day to day operations of life onboard: sleeping, cooking, cleaning, etc... and then think about how they would work on each boat. Spend some time climbing around boats.

Do you have a boat now? Have you done any cruising before?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:01   #38

Grew up on the water but as an adult I've been mostly away from boats as I've been busy with family and business. My two youngest are now in high school and once I get my two girls off to college I'll return to the water with my wife.....thus my first post to your forum.
Old 16-01-2014, 10:51   #39

Describe what you envision doing for a day, week and/or a month of cruising?

Cruising can mean a lot of different things and different boats will favor different options.
Old 16-01-2014, 12:15   #40

[QUOTE=valhalla360;1441823]If you will be anchored out 95% of the time, wide beam is good. If you go into marinas or like to sneak into well protected very shallow anchorages frequently, the Gemini wins out.
re?[/QUOTE
Im really curious how well do you sneak around in shallows with your engine drive leg and rudders up?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-01-2014, 13:18   #41

If I pull the boards and rudders, up we only need 18" (probalby 20" because we are heavily loaded). She's not as responsive with the rudders up but plenty good enough for anchoring duties. We've used this trick a few times for marinas that claimed not to have any open slips. Often there are unused ones up close to shore that are too shallow for boats drawing even 3-4'.

The outboard motor is roughly flush with the bottom of the hulls normally. Never bothered, but in a calm anchorage, I could probalby lift the motor sled and get an extra 6" with the water intake still submerged.

It's nothing to anchor in 4' and if we are just hanging out swiming, 2.5-3' is desirable as you can walk around and scrub the boat convienently.
Old 16-01-2014, 13:50   #42

Nice the outboard must give you a "leg up" on the later versions 😉

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-01-2014, 14:08   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Describe what you envision doing for a day, week and/or a month of cruising?

Cruising can mean a lot of different things and different boats will favor different options.
I've been interested in a beach bungalow for some time on a quiet island on the carib. My wife and I thought this might make for a good way to find the right spot. So 6 months out of the year we'd expect to island hop and maybe go up the east coast and into the gulf. That's how we see it once the family's flown the coop.
Old 30-06-2014, 18:00   #44

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

For wife and husband only - you will need all lines back to helm, double reefs, not single reefs, all reefs back to helm, solid autopilot, newer boat to minimize system failure rate, 45ft is ideal cat, e.g Helia 44 is great for its boom access. make sure you understand all circuits if you get 110v ac.
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34   #45

Boat: St Francis 50

With a $350k target you with want to consider the 2006 Voyage 450 "Wind Dancer" on Yachtworld for about that price.
Paul
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruise, sail, sailing