Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 00:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Looking for like minded sailors?

If so try Multihull Sailing Forum

The Multihull Forum
Old 02-06-2008, 02:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
This will be interesting.

I think people should be free to visit and post wherever they want on the internet and if some folks feel limited here then, "Bon vayage and Best Wishes"

I just don't know whether this site has a responsibility to carry advertising for "any" other forum.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:45   #3
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
I just wanted to post here regarding this topic to harvest our community for members of a competing sailing forum. I have no issues with people starting competing forum but it's not right to come here and try to solicit our members. This is covered in our community policies:
Quote:
Participants may not post to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages...
Our goal is to foster a community that is free from spam and if a commercial vendor wants to inform us of something they need to be authorized and then can only post any commercial announcements in the vendors forum.

I have edited the first post to remove the link.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thats all cool - but its not commercial and its not spam.????
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20   #5

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
I wouldn't worry too much as it is a far inferior site to here.

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Those who oppose the idea under the assumption that people will go there is instead of coming here...nonsense. I'm certain you understand that people both visit this sailing forum and other sailing forums already...right? It's really a non-issue.

I am a registered user of two other sailing forums and yet I still come here as well. Providing links to other forums won't have any effect in the number of viewers and posters to this forum. Besides, its easy enough to do your own Google search for other sailing related forums and no amount of censorship in this forum is going to stop people from using search engines. People ARE going to find other sailing forums, so why even attempt to stop it? ...it would only serve to make the administrators look like book burners.

Linking to other sailing forums also provides something to member of this forum which may not be available here...such as more opinions on a given subject.

Providing people with more information is always a good thing. When you think about it, links to other sites are provided all the time in here for the purpose of providing more information to the members of Cruisers Forum. One member in particular is the king of links to other websites...and I very much appreciate the vast number of links that he does provide to places outside of this forum.

AOL did everything it could to keep its members within the confines of AOL...and look what happened to AOL in terms of the number of members.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:36   #7

What Dave said...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There’s a (not so) subtle difference between providing a link to a “how-to tutorial”, an expert opinion, or other (primarily) information sites; and linking to a competing website.
Being devoid of informative content, the new Multihulls Forum offers no current benefit to our membership, and certainly none to the owner of the CruisersForum - only potential dilution of our Multhull threads.

BTW:
A “Google” on < multihull sailing forum > returns the CruisersForum (2ND & 12TH hits); but nothing on the new forum (in the first 20 returns)

Old 02-06-2008, 08:18   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
My point is that it is not competition because it is not an either or situation. People can choose to go to both websites. It is a BOTH situation. That subtle difference is an actual difference. It is not a "my piece of the pie" situation here where if one person gets more, another person gets less.

If a "customer" (one who views the advertising and occasionally clicks on the advertising) uses both your product and the competitions product, then with respect to that customer, they are not really competition are they?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

Im still trying to work out if its okay or not - this thread says no, another thread says yes. As usual I am confused.
Old 02-06-2008, 14:22   #11
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Look this forum community is not a place that is here for you or any other member to mine our membership base. The forum that was linked to had 0 post and was located on a commercial website (a site for a computer store or something like that).

We have no intentions of censoring our members but we do make every attempt to protect our members and community from become a place that is mind for other businesses. It's one thing to be subtle and post a link to an interesting thread on another forum but to just make a post to a dead empty forum located on a commercial domain name is against our policies.

Factor, I am not going to engage you in any public discussions on this. Please read the end of the community rules.
Quote:
Someone has to interpret the above guidelines and how they apply to this forum. Ultimately it's up to our site administrator to make this decision.
So please consider this an official warning, don't come to Cruisers Forum and attempt to post links to other commercial sites that look like obvious attempts to harvest our user base. If you do then your access to Cruisers Forum will be blocked.

This thread has been closed and the other discussion on this topic will be moved to a quarantine area. Please move on to productive discussions.
Closed Thread