Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2016, 04:10   #1

Looking for a small Bahamas cruising Cat

I am looking into buying a small cat that I can cruise solo or with 1-2 crew island hopping the Bahamas over the winter. I dont have any experience to speak of when it comes to cats I have been on a larger power cat but that was a long time ago. As far as sailing experience its not much more than some small dingy work when I was younger but I was very much into power boating.

I am looking to buy close to the Chesapeake and use it as a training ground before making my way down the ICW maybe hitting the Keys for a bit more practice before making the passage over. I have access to lots of classes and training facilities in my area so plan to attend as much as possible and do not plan on making my leave down south for many months yet.

When it comes to cats I am looking at a couple right now with a budget of around 40k giving me around 10k to play with for outfitting and servicing plus a substantial bit for the trip itself. The two possible cats I have found are a Prout Quest 33 and an Endeavor cat 30. The Prout 33 looks to be needing some elbow grease and has some issues including a bad set of electronics depth finder and nav lights plus who knows what else might be hiding after a survey. The Endeavor cat looks to be in better shape with a newer engine (50 hours) and all electronics working. They would both need upgrades including auto pilot, radar and chart plotter for the Prout. Along with these electronics they would need several other items to make the trip such as some way to make electricity other than the engine and many other bits and pieces (dingy) plus what ever a survey might find.

Does anyone have any good info on these two cats I have only seen a few things on the Endeavor including one that crossed the pacific and I know Prout line of cats have made several ocean crossings but I am not intending on any crossings of that sort. What I am really looking for is info on how they sail and how they hold up when it comes to reliability both only having a single engine (that stillete drive thingy on the Prout scares me). Also when it comes to weather I know they both slap hard but how do they hold in blow and what are the best practices? (running a drouge line off the stern?).

Oh and one more thing what is the advantage of the forward nacelles/wave breakers under the bridge deck? I have heard they do not work very well and may even cause more harm to the boats performance than what they are intended to help with.
trik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 04:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Looking for a small Bahamas cruising Cat

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, trik.

Perry Design Review: Endeavourcat 30 - boats.com

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-cat-7084.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 04:20   #3

Recommend you get your hands on this book. The Cruising Multihull by Chris White. It's a few years old but a great read with tons of the kind of info you could use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	128244  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 04:29   #4

Thank you both for your comments I will definitely grab that book as it will go great with my reading list which seems to be growing larger by the week.
Old 23-07-2016, 05:42   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trik77 View Post
Thank you both for your comments I will definitely grab that book as it will go great with my reading list which seems to be growing larger by the week.
LOL, my sailing library out masses me by 5:1, easily, or maybe double that. Especially if you count periodicals .

There are a few extensive writeups on some catamarans on here, though, sadly, I can't recall any particulars about which boats they're on. Other that they're about smaller cats. But they're worth looking as they cover such things as what to look for with regards to build quality. And where certain designs are vulnerable structurally. As some boats can easily have their primary structures maimed if improperly lifted, though you wouldn't notice it unless you really know where to look. And the posts spelled out where to check, so it's worth a bit of Googlefu.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:00   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Charles kanters, book is a great choice too. Ec30 would be my choice. Have sailed on both, owned a ec30. They sail good, are rugged and much more modern than the prout. Nacelle breaks up wave energy, less violent impacts, more thumping though, helps the boat to surf fast and not bury the bow. Sillete drives are clunky and expensive to fix but can last a long time. Both are somewhat noisy in a rough Anchorage but earplugs will fix that if your a light sleeper.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:04   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Here's one of my favorite small low price cruising cats, but not really close to the Chesapeake.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/59719

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:13   #8

Thanks for your input I am leaning towards the EC30 myself it overall looks to be in better condition in at a price of 39k is not to bad (is it a buying market?). With that being said I cant deny that there is more literature available when it comes to the seaworthiness of the Prout series of cats and will have to see both with me own two eyes. The Prout looks like a cave inside very dark where as the EC30 looks very nice and streamlined and open with plenty of light. Is it okay on this forum to post the listings for the two boats so I can have better eyes than mine?
Old 23-07-2016, 06:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Here's one of my favorite small low price cruising cats, but not really close to the Chesapeake.
1990 Cornish Heavenly Twins sailboat for sale in Texas

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Was looking at a listing from Florida for one of those that just took a bid they look so nice!

Here are the listings for the two I am looking at now.

1992 ENDEAVOUR CAT 30 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -

1986 Prout Quest 33CS Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Old 23-07-2016, 06:18   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

It is OK if your Comfortable doing so. One thing I much prefer about the EC is newer construction methods, less plywood
core, tankage is much easier to replace if needed, prout tanks are metal/ aluminum and quite long in the tooth and buried on some models. The helm position and coach roof set up allows everyone in the cockpit to see forward even while sitting. Rare on a cat.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 07:02   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bow view of the hulls and clearance of the Endeavour Cat 30. 1993 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	128249  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 07:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would also take a look at Richard Woods cats I think the Scylla is right in this range. We almost bought a bridge deck version of one of his boats and I was very impressed with it, sadly they got an asking price offer a few days before I could fly down to look at it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 08:39   #13

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Sailed All three over several years. The Gemini is a far far better Bahamas boat in several ways. The most important is it's easy to maintain yourself very popular and easy to get or make parts for. Buy one with an outboard and you can't go wrong.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 18:42   #14

I have looked at some Geminis they seem like nice cruisers but are a little out of my price point.
Old 23-07-2016, 20:05   #15

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

My 3400 with a new outboard was in the 40's. Ais,Chris,ac,autopilot and nearly new sails set up to singlehanded. Fully unsinkable, good paint. You can't find a capable boat in crushing condition for much less.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising