Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 19:33   #1

Looking at Tri's and Cats

Ok, I have some questions about Tri's and Cats. My wife and I are looking to purchase a boat for full time liveaboard cruising. Not just island hopping but after a year or two in the Caribbean, we plan to cross the Atlantic to Ireland and England, then over to France, the Med before crossing with the trades back to Central America, through the big ditch and out into the Pacific. Some of the boats I have been doing some research on are Cats in the 36'-40' range. I have been on a PDQ 36 and found it feeling cramped. I am 6'3 so headroom is usually an issue for me. The first cats I saw in my budget that really caught my eye are the Catalacs. The 10M to be specific. I have not seen one in person but they have a great look and are extremely well respected for their seaworthyness, but I am worried that with the small bridge deck "saloon" I may not have headroom up there, and feel cramped. Also since the bridge deck saloon roof doesn't appear to extend out over the hulls, it looks like you have to duck before going down the steps into the hulls. This seems kind of awkward.

Some of the Tri's I have been looking at are the Piver Victress. Which according to some of the threads here seem to be decent boats, but not really suited for long passages and open water. Original design specs were weak and prone to collision damage, so builders "over built" making them heavy and poor performers....etc.... Another one that I keep coming back to is this one...

1988 Custom Trimaran - Hartsman Tri Star 43 XRC sailboat for sale in Mississippi

This boat has a great look to it and at $70K may be a good deal, maybe offer $50K and see what happens. The listing says its a "Hartsman" but some people say its a Horstman, which like the Pivers seem to be questionable Water boats">blue water boats. Does anyone know anything about this "Hartsman" design?

I Guess the big questions are

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Catalac 10M? Will I have enough headroom in the saloon to be able to stand fully erect without my head touching the roof?

Same question with the 40' Trimarans?

Opinions about full time liveaboard in either of these boats.

Budget is of course always an issue. I can get a Lagoon 38 for $185,000, but an $80-90k Catalac will get me out there YEARS sooner.

And a $70K tri with $20-$30k refit might make a very nice option.

A CSY 44 monohull feels extremely roomy down below, but the shallow draft and sailing flat in a Multihull are 2 benifits that almost any monohull can never overcome.

Thanks for the input.
Transporter2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 22:21   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Had a 30 endeavour cat and the ducking right before you.go down into the hull drove.me nuts. For 90k you can find an endeavour 34 which has Tons of room and headroom and all the bells and whistles of a much newer cat than many catalacs. Not nocking catalacs they are rugged boats. Check catamaransite dot com , great info on them. As for tris they seem like a smaller mono coupled to two smaller Amas, instead of stresses going in two directions you now have 3. And less living space. Csy 44 built like tanks and yes spacious. But a 34 endeavour cat or 10m catalac will.have more room,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 23:02   #3

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Re: Looking at Tri's and Cats

Have a look at MY catamaran-for sale. Loads of room and we are live aboards.

Look under- Solaris Sunrise Catamaran. She is called "SHANIA"
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Piver Victress is most certainly a good bluewater boat. If built correct.
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:10   #5

The Endevourcat 36 looked like a good option, but the research I've done on them suggest they aren't substantial blue water boats. They are a little pricey, but my understanding is that they are absolutely huge inside.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34   #6

Boat: TBA

have a look at Aeroyacht they have a good looking tri for 20k appears to be a bargain, 40Ft Condor was asking 55k
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter2112 View Post
The Endevourcat 36 looked like a good option, but the research I've done on them suggest they aren't substantial blue water boats. They are a little pricey, but my understanding is that they are absolutely huge inside.
Theres a late 90's 34 same as a 36 inside w minor diff out for sale in fl you could get for 90k. As for bluewater its as beamy as most 36 prouts, solaris, etc. A 30' endeavour cat sailed across the pacific heck a gemini or two have circumnavigated. Seas uncomfortable in a 36 endeavour or gem would definitly be just as uncomfortable in a catalac. The solution is to pick your weather or run with it if it turns bad.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23   #8

Boat: 42' Cruising Cat, designed by Bernd Kohler

Take a look at this Simpson Tri. She is a true blue water boat. The designer was living on his own Liahona for years.

1987 Custom Simpson Liahona trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
zumsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumsel View Post
Take a look at this Simpson Tri. She is a true blue water boat. The designer was living on his own Liahona for years.

1987 Custom Simpson Liahona trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
If the op felt cramped on a PDQ 36 i think he d be claustrophobic on that tri. The cockpit looks like it seats one, and a chartplotter. I doubt the headroom is very good either.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm pretty sure that the Hartsman is a Horstman but did you notice that the ad was placed in March 2012? Perhaps you should ask the Searunner thread?
Ed Horstman Designs
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26   #11

I have recently spoken with the guy listing that Hartsman for his father in law. The boat is still available but I believe the listing says its a "costal cruiser" so there may be some reason it shouldn't be considered a blue water boat. Maybe its limited water and fuel capacity?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I would be very careful heading to the European side in a cat: Europe is not like Caribbean or Pacific where you can spend plenty of time anchored out. Europe may expose you to the amount of time spent in marinas that will drain your budget very quickly if you are sailing a cat (normally: 1.5 to 2.0 times the fees for a same length mono, plus overhead in the summer s.c. 'high season'), then note in the winter we do not sail here.

Catalacs are nice cats sort of from a different world. A friend sailed from the EU via Panama to the Pacific. I am not sure I would like one to take me from the US coast to Europe though. His was a 9m cat and he had to cut the roof off and build a higher cabin (which he did very well). They have good layout down below and look like a very comfortable living space.

Down o tris: I have been onboard a Corsair and a Dragonfly and the latter was way more spacious, it also looked much more seaworthy. I have also seen a 50' up close (Rayon Vert) - this one looked tight but very much the kind of boat that makes your heart beat faster (there is an Orma for sale right now on the yacht world website). The Corsair did go on the crossing and got to the other side allright, but she is a small boat inside, more a tent than a camper van.

Bueno, my 2 eurocents of experience. Mind Europe is not a cat country.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34   #13

That's great information about cats in Europe. Why do yoU guys not sail in winter. Our plan is to work summers here in the US to fund our sailing the rest of the year. Is it just cold temperatures or other reasons.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The Med is more north than you think. Compare the latitude from northern North Carolina to Long Island, NY for the Euro side. It goes to about even with southern South Carolina for the Africa coast. Sit on a beach in North Carolina in January. It can get chilly. BTW It snowed in Egypt recently.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44   #15

Boat: TOM LACK, CATALAC 9 M

Hello, we bought a Catalac 9M (30 feet) 1976 last December and we love our ''Let's do it!''
Here some infos from the catamaran site. Catalac 9M information
Rick the webmaster, is very friendly and helpful. Don't hesitate to contact him.
We are liveaboards and for us, she's perfect... or almost. I like very much her layout as well as my husband who is 6' tall. Regarding the small bridge deck "saloon" you will have enough headroom up there. Actually, we don't have a ''wheelhouse'' (doghouse) but will intend to build one so it will feel more airy and that way have more headroom in that ''small bridge deck'' saloon. Anywhere else there is plenty headroom ... more than you need to accomodate your 6'3''. Good luck!

''Let's do it!''
ChristianneCS is offline   Reply With Quote