Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35   #16
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 506
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Yer thats real cool.

No need to hoist a spinaker downwind, just open a couple of the hatches in the
top story roof for extra sail area.
__________________

__________________
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 00:55   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
I dont want sail such a Cat on high seas... this is a boat for coastal cruising.

If a big wave hits these huge windows, one can start to pray to God and beg for mercy to survive. Too risky. And probably too hot inside... did the owner want a "winter garden" to plant his tomatoes ?

Why do boat designers not learn from "good seamanship" ?? And why they lack of respect for the power of mother nature ??

Keep away your fingers from such risky boats I would like to say. Coolness has nothing to do on high seas !! LIve in big cities to present yourself as "cool and hip".
Hi I am Kevin the Sales and Marketing Director of Scape Yachts , to answer some of your comments. This is a 2015 Simonis-Voogd designed catamaran , the windows of 12mm Acrylic and are designed to take big waves , they are also tinted with 70% UV resistance and have covers to provide even more shade. The catamarans have sailed all around the world and handle the seas very well , it light weight construction and high bridge deck clearance handles rough seas very well.
__________________

__________________
KKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 00:57   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Look VERY heavy in boatshow trim. Only floating just below WL. There is a new Maine cat 38 in the works. The 30 is an OK boat as a weekender day charter boat. Would rather have a decent cabin if buying a 40' boat.
The catamaran was loaded for a Indian Ocean crossing with six passengers extra fuel and water and all provisions and still they manged to get over 200 miles on many days.
__________________
KKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 01:04   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'm not sure what market they are after, and I am not sure if the front section window by the mast closes off or not. Strange, but interesting design. I like it, not that it would suit our needs, but interesting none the less.

I see that they have drains in the salon floor, so apparently it is designed to take water over the bow and into the salon. I can't tell if it's designed to let the water run straight off the back, but it doesn't look like it.
We are a high performance catamaran that that can do 25knots so the cabin space is a little limited , however it is an indoor/outdoor theme boat with the saloon and galley up, the catamaran is designed for adventure living and not for cruising for two years , more explore the islands , snorkeling , diving , fishing, kite-boarding.
There is access via the mast beam to the foredeck and the aft deck and saloon can either be open or closed. The hulls are sealed via hatches to ensure in heavy weather no water gets in the hulls.
__________________
KKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 01:12   #20
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnight View Post
high bridge deck clearance
Hi, Kelvin,

May we ask for a numbers, please?
__________________
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 21:28   #21
Registered User
 
C-man77's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunshine Coast Qld. Australia
Posts: 74
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
interesting, looks as if the P/S hulls have waterproof? splashproof doors.
so its a cross between the open deck cats and the more common bridge type. Protected access but not full bridge? Sure has the topside weight of a full bridge.

not sure about winch placement on either side of the wheel - how are the lines handled? Seems as if they would seriously impede movement.

It seems like an open deck with a sacrificial outdoor enclosed hardop
__________________
C-man77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 22:40   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 193
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post
It seems like an open deck with a sacrificial outdoor enclosed hardop
lots of cats now have have biminis
the hardtop carries the traveller so I assume that it is not flimsy
__________________
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 22:45   #23
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnight View Post
We are a high performance catamaran that that can do 25knots so the cabin space is a little limited , however it is an indoor/outdoor theme boat with the saloon and galley up, the catamaran is designed for adventure living and not for cruising for two years , more explore the islands , snorkeling , diving , fishing, kite-boarding.
There is access via the mast beam to the foredeck and the aft deck and saloon can either be open or closed. The hulls are sealed via hatches to ensure in heavy weather no water gets in the hulls.
So if I understand it correctly in stormy high seas you seal off the entrance to the hulls via hatches leaving the everyone in the less than water tight saloon to deal with the water. Of course you plan on getting a lot of water into the salon otherwise you wouldn't have to seal off the entrances to the hulls. Sounds like a very wet ocean voyager if you don't mind me saying.

Also I would imagine very uncomfortable in high seas for any length of time. No going bellow out of the wet while ridding out a storm. Too bad if the rough seas last longer than a few hours. Have you given any thought to the problem of hypothermia of those stuck on the other side of the sealed hatches?

I hope I'm not being over critical. Perhaps I've miss understood the need for water tight hatches for access to the hulls.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 23:06   #24
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,846
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
So if I understand it correctly in stormy high seas you seal off the entrance to the hulls via hatches leaving the everyone in the less than water tight saloon to deal with the water. Of course you plan on getting a lot of water into the salon otherwise you wouldn't have to seal off the entrances to the hulls. Sounds like a very wet ocean voyager if you don't mind me saying.

Also I would imagine very uncomfortable in high seas for any length of time. No going bellow out of the wet while ridding out a storm. Too bad if the rough seas last longer than a few hours. Have you given any thought to the problem of hypothermia of those stuck on the other side of the sealed hatches?

I hope I'm not being over critical. Perhaps I've miss understood the need for water tight hatches for access to the hulls.

Because most monohull sailors die from sitting in the cockpit exposed to the outdoors I forgot real sailors isolate themselves indoors
__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 23:11   #25
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Because most monohull sailors die from sitting in the cockpit exposed to the outdoors I forgot real sailors isolate themselves indoors
I have seen film footage of racers in very high seas in monohulls in fact inside a closed off salon with crash helmets on. Just as well because one particular mono did a complete role and the solo sailor lived to sail another day. If I remember correctly it was an Australian sailing in a race somewhere South of Argentina and a little North of a large ice land mass. I suppose he should have been outside at the wheel. How stupid of me.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 23:15   #26
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,846
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I have seen film footage of racers in very high seas in monohulls in fact inside a closed off salon with crash helmets on. Just as well because one particular mono did a complete roll. I suppose he should have been outside at the wheel. How stupid of me.
Survival conditions vs stormy....

You take a big wave over the deck of a Lagoon, pop a portlight out and down flood the entire boat. This cat just drains the deck/saloon and keeps going with the hulls still dry.
__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 23:28   #27
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Survival conditions vs stormy....

You take a big wave over the deck of a Lagoon, pop a portlight out and down flood the entire boat. This cat just drains the deck/saloon and keeps going with the hulls still dry.
Understood.

I should perhaps rethink now the doors on the Lagoon. Perhaps I could take some hints from the doors on the Intrepid I walked through a little while back. Those Navy guys sure do know how to make good hatch doors.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 00:06   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 193
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Understood.

Those Navy guys sure do know how to make good hatch doors.
relax, given the commercial focus of this model its quite possible that the hatches are there to stop guests from falling into the hulls and calling for their lawyers.

same thing with the concealed lines. Can't trip and sue if its not there.
Old rule: if it floats, it leaks.
__________________
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 00:12   #29
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
relax, given the commercial focus of this model its quite possible that the hatches are there to stop guests from falling into the hulls and calling for their lawyers.

same thing with the concealed lines. Can't trip and sue if its not there.
Old rule: if it floats, it leaks.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:32   #30
Registered User
 
trimaranspirit's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Merfyn Owen Formula 40 Trimaran
Posts: 12
Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Looks a bit boxy and is definitely not high performance. Is this really what people want??
__________________

__________________
trimaranspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So great I came across CF Old Frenchie Meets & Greets 7 05-11-2012 23:38
Came Across This In the Abacos -- Can You ID It? Primetime General Sailing Forum 1 11-06-2010 22:06
Boom came crashing down while sailing!! Need help please! Amigo Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 8 27-08-2008 13:04
A born-again sailor just came aboard! Slangevar48 Meets & Greets 5 08-05-2008 06:05
what trans came in the 1976 irwin 37cc???? jumpnkd Propellers & Drive Systems 2 19-01-2007 08:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.