Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 07:44   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Longest time/distance you've had to motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
On ocean passages we will have a longer range when under power than a cat with only diesels as our battery bank will be refilled while motoring under diesel power allowing us to shut it off and power under electric again....then repeat the cycle.
This seems problematic. I think you will burn more excess diesel charging the batteries (and then using the batteries to power the electric drives), than you would use to just motor under diesel power. Unless of course your prop is not well-matched to your engine? Battery charging doesn't come for free.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 07:48   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
This seems problematic. I think you will burn more excess diesel charging the batteries (and then using the batteries to power the electric drives), than you would use to just motor under diesel power. Unless of course your prop is not well-matched to your engine? Battery charging doesn't come for free.
Not all the energy created by a Diesel engine is converted into propulsion. I would assume the excess energy is captured and stored, like hybrid cars.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 14:23   #78

Quote:
Yep, that electric power has to come from somewhere. And there ARE losses.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 14:24   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Not all the energy created by a Diesel engine is converted into propulsion. I would assume the excess energy is captured and stored, like hybrid cars.
It's about time somebody started capturing and storing those hybrid cars!
Old 18-10-2013, 14:37   #80

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
A guy buys a half-million dollar catamaran and you are concerned he might use an extra $100 of diesel fuel so he can motor quietly when he wants to,
like maybe when the crew is sleeping and doesn't want to hear 'thump-thump-thump-thump'.

Charging the batteries to run your radio and autopilot, you know that takes more diesel than just motoring...

Old 19-10-2013, 01:05   #81

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Storing the energy will be the major issue. And the cost (if it matters to you). Batteries are so much heavier than tanks, and they do not get lighter as you empty them either ...

It seems the set up you want (solar aided diesel drive) will be perfect in a cat. You can use a Vetus electric drives in between the props and the diesel engines and thus be able to use a cross-linked either-or drive on each hull.

Now diesel fuel cells are just behind the bend and they may be the next big thing. I have read they are 3x more efficient than a diesel combustion engine.

b.
So, why not use capacitor banks, as they are lighter and smaller, recharge and discharge rate is better...
Heavy discharge and frequency of recharge are higher. "Longer Service Life." Just sayin...
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 03:23   #82

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
6 days (only 700 miles, bringing the boat from St augustine to north of Tampa not.once was the wind in our favor
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 03:40   #83

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
6 days (only during daylight though)700 miles, bringing the boat from St augustine to north of Tampa not.once was the wind in our favor and several times we had 1-2 knots of current against us. It would have been near impossible in an electric boat without recharging via a generator
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 06:11   #84

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
So, why not use capacitor banks, as they are lighter and smaller, recharge and discharge rate is better...
Heavy discharge and frequency of recharge are higher. "Longer Service Life." Just sayin...
Link to any commercially available ones that could be employed in our aspect?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 06:35   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
For a given volume, a typical battery can store as much as several hundred times as much energy as can a capacitor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 07:04   #86

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Link to any commercially available ones that could be employed in our aspect?

b.
I've only seen thier use in starting cars. However, the wieght savings are great... It's on youtube.com...
It may require additional power management electronics, but again, it would take a lot of that to eat up the gains achieved in wieght lost and amp out put...
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 07:32   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
The batteries in a hybrid car are charged via braking, not the engine though.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 10:10   #88

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
For a given volume, a typical battery can store as much as several hundred times as much energy as can a capacitor.
Yep, and Super/Ultra Caps are very very expensive. But they have massive POWER vs capacity compared to a battery. Power == high rate discharge.
So they do have potential for a hybrid battery system, where you can use high-density storage batteries with high power caps. For example, the ZInc-air batteries have 4x capacity over lithium, but little power, i.e. they can dribble it out only slowly. Same goes for diesel fuel cells, they can't produce high power, but have very high capacity.
Old 19-10-2013, 13:23   #89

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
Quote:

Perhaps you misunderstood. If I'm already propelling the boat under diesel power its not costing me more to load up the diesel with the duty of charging the batteries at the same time. The electric motor that is tied in to the diesel acts as a generator as well (picture your alternator on steroids). Once the batteries are full I can power under electric alone and I'm confident that diesel engines use less power when turned off :-)
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 13:40   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood. If I'm already propelling the boat under diesel power its not costing me more to load up the diesel with the duty of charging the batteries at the same time.
Incorrect.

Tags
motor