Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 18:41   #1

Live aboard marina east central Florida?

We are looking a marina from which we can cross the Gulf Stream.. It has to be somewhat close to MCO airport since my husband is an airline pilot.. Any suggestions? We're hoping to park a 45'-60' catamaran, we haven't bought that yet but we are definitely the fly by the seat of our pants types so this isn't a far featched in the future dream.. Thanks (:
Bpitchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:00   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Re: Live aboard marina east central Florida?

There's a couple in port canaveral that can squeeze you in.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:11   #3

Ooo really, that's absolutely perfect from the airport. Do you happen to now how the crossing is from there? I've done the Gulf Stream before with my parents (tethered down, glass from the oven door flying around yikes lol) so I know how gnarly it can be.. I'm a complete novice on my own though..
Old 07-02-2016, 19:42   #4

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

You'll want to head further south before crossing to the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:48   #5

That's exactly what I was afraid of. Is my closest spot Fort Pierce? Or is that even to far north?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28   #6

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Lake Worth is as far north as you really want to be. Ideally even further south. The gulf pushes north so your vector becomes extreme anywhere north of lk. Worth. I've done it from Ft. Pierce but it's not ideal, especially in weather. Its great for your return though. Safe sailing and good luck on a boat.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:32   #7

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Unhappy Re: Live aboard marina east central Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpitchon View Post
That's exactly what I was afraid of. Is my closest spot Fort Pierce? Or is that even to far north?
I live just south of Ft. Pierce and we sail out of Hobe Sound. We always go out Jupiter Inlet. I used to Dock at Harbor Town in Ft. Pierce but I still went out Jupiter Inlet because you just have to fight the stream too much from Ft. Pierce. Unless you have a powerful and fast power boat it's not a good departure point for anything except Port Canaveral.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:05   #8

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Ooo really, that's absolutely perfect from the airport. Do you happen to now how the crossing is from there? I've done the Gulf Stream before with my parents (tethered down, glass from the oven door flying around yikes lol) so I know how gnarly it can be.. I'm a complete novice on my own though..

Departed a couple of times from Cape Canaveral to Bahamas. Headed south to approx Ft. Lauderdale and crossed stream to Lucaya. Lately though when bound for Caribbean I use Cuba and save the $300 Bahama fee.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33   #9

You guys are awesome! I was doing my research on this and it was inconclusive at best, then I felt dumb not knowing the answer and it dawns on me don't be dumb, sign up and ask the experts! So thanks again!! I obviously need all the help I can get! I'll be bugging you guys shortly about boat selections 😳😄
This forum makes my day! I really appreciate respectful, smart and just plain cool people just genuinely happy to help!!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:21   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

As others have noted Ft Pierce is a little north for crossing to the Bahamas. However, it is a very nice, reasonably priced live-a-board marina so going south before crossing the stream might be worth it.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:25   #11

You know Dave I was hoping to hear that for two reasons being its closer to MCO and that it really does look nice! How about heading south? ICW? Or the out skirts, I've heard some horror stories on that one..?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

From Ft Pierce south to Jupiter inlet works. As there are not a lot of bridges, I would go the ICW but if you want to sail then go off shore and stay close in. You should avoid most of the north current.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43   #13

ICW is a drag as you only make 50-60 miles a day as you don't want to go at night and run aground--------best go outside and hug the coast tii you get to Lauderdale area and then head across-----
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:44   #14

By the way the live aboard isn't 100% essential, matter of fact the initial goal was to have the cat and a condo, but it's only the two of us and that's probably over kill especially if we get a big enough cat...
Old 08-02-2016, 09:49   #15

Quote:
We are looking a marina from which we can cross the Gulf Stream.. It has to be somewhat close to MCO airport since my husband is an airline pilot.. Any suggestions? We're hoping to park a 45'-60' catamaran, we haven't bought that yet but we are definitely the fly by the seat of our pants types so this isn't a far featched in the future dream.. Thanks (:
Dock fee for a 60ft catamaran on central florida east coast probably $2000 per month at a marina. I paid $625/month for my 42ft mono at Port Canaveral.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida