Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 22:44   #1

Live-aboard & cruising on Dragonfly DF35

Hi, all,

I am a keen kayaker and I have identified the Dragonfly DF-35 as the perfect boat for cruising with kayaks. However, it's an expensive option. I've never sailed one and I might have to fly to Denmark to try one out.

My question is this: Can these boats really cross oceans? Or are they really better for coastal cruising? Considering that I might have to sell my house to get one, does anyone actually live aboard one of these?

I'd like to hear from any owners, especially on the west coast of the US/Canada.

Martin.
MartinInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Live-aboard & cruising on Dragonfly DF35

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Martin.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinInSeattle View Post
Hi, all,

I am a keen kayaker and I have identified the Dragonfly DF-35 as the perfect boat for cruising with kayaks. However, it's an expensive option. I've never sailed one and I might have to fly to Denmark to try one out.

My question is this: Can these boats really cross oceans? Or are they really better for coastal cruising? Considering that I might have to sell my house to get one, does anyone actually live aboard one of these?

I'd like to hear from any owners, especially on the west coast of the US/Canada.

Martin.
Plenty of people take extended cruises in smaller rigs than a DF35. What do you imagine such a cruise would look like?

I entertain thoughts of using my cat as a fast mother ship for various Kayak fishing expeditions to the nether lands of the Chesapeake Bay. It seems perfect, with a large tramp up front on which to carry our yaks. I need to resolve the boarding challenge, but am expecting to use it thus over the coming season.

Good Luck!

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:38   #4

Thanks for the reply, Paxfish. It occurred to me that a Catamaran would be a suitable alternative which would give me more live-aboard space. But what attracts me about the Dragonfly is the amas with 'garage doors' where you can store two kayaks out of the way.

I came here to try to connect with other Dragonfly owners. I guess they're all out cruising? Or perhaps I'm in the wrong place.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:32   #5

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Have a look at this Dragonfly Forum: User Forum for the Dragonfly folding Trimaran
Old 10-02-2015, 04:45   #6

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

SeniorMechanico has a DF1000, you could PM him.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:34   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The longest continuous time I've lived aboard our DF 1000 was 6 weeks of vacation while cruising to and from Desolation Sound in Canada.

I helped deliver "Lykke", a DF 35 from Whidbey Island WA to Newport Beach CA several years ago.
The DF35 is only two feet longer and one foot more beam, but it's amazing how much bigger it is inside.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 17:15   #8

Boat: Hunter 36

SailFastTri used to own a DF35, and owns a DF1200 now. You could message him.

I've only been aboard the DF32. I seriously considered it or the DF35 for cruising, but I have 2 children, and want a boat with at least 2 heads.

However, if it was just me and the wife, the DF35 would be ideal in many ways. Trimaran = smoother ride than monos or cats, and the DF35 is very fast, and would speed right past any luxurious crusing cat. You can beach it too, which is a nice plus. And if you get the version with the galley on the starboard side, then you have a pretty decent-sized galley for a small boat.

The downside? Not much room for kids or guests, and the traveller bisects the cockpit, which looks like it would be annoying. The water tank is only 37 gallons, so I would strongly recommend a watermaker. I'm also not wild about a curtain instead of a door on the aft cabin, but if it's for just a couple, it should be fine.

Expensive too, but Dragonflys have a reputation for quality. And their resale value seems to be high.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 21:59   #9

I found a two-year old thread debating the DF-35 vs. the Corsair 37. I'm gathering from the replies here and the information in that thread that at the very least the Dragonfly DF-35 is a comfortable and very able coastal cruiser. I don't have children - just me and my kayaks - so it's the ideal size.

And if SailFastTri has owned TWO of them the Dragonflys must be really good boats

I've decided it's worth a trip to Denmark to sail one, so I'm planning that next. I might also check out West Coast Multihulls to see if they'll give me a lesson on that 24' Corsair which they have.

Martin.

Tags
cruising