Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 16:25   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Lithium battery C-rate question

Yes and Victron's also got a non-LFP lithium bank, NMC I believe
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 18:39   #47

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
that is if you ever actually buy any Lfp or any other Lipo for that matter to actually get real world experience with .

My insurance doesn't care what batteries I have onboard.
Yes, I was looking for the battery exclusion section to my policy, and it seems to be missing. It also seems to be silent on which anchor I use. Yet John sounds so, well, authoritative that he must have such exclusions on his yacht policy. If he had a boat, I mean.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 18:42   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Yes, I was looking for the battery exclusion section to my policy, and it seems to be missing. It also seems to be silent on which anchor I use. Yet John sounds so, well, authoritative that he must have such exclusions on his yacht policy. If he had a boat, I mean.
I called my agent he said that the policy doesn't say anything about batteries. they just want to know what fuel for the main engine . They don't even care what I cook with
As to anchor he said appropriate for my vessel
Old 08-05-2019, 23:34   #49

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes that non LFP Victron batts. Not for House banks by your rules.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 00:04   #50
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

No, I just can't imagine what advantages would overcome higher risk and the huge added cost of needing an experienced pro to design and install the system.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:44   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, I just can't imagine what advantages would overcome higher risk and the huge added cost of needing an experienced pro to design and install the system.
well when you finally get a bank let us know .
Old 13-05-2019, 07:27   #52

Quote:
If we all remember the lithium batteries on planes. They do not like to be charged quickly or discharged quickly. Any sealed battery is not great for high rate discharge or charge. What they are great for is to be charged and able to keep that charge for a long time without losing very much of its charge like a wet battery. To provide high amperage you would need many in parallel taking in account the amperage spec of the battery you have. Charging them slowly is always the better option.
bleuet323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:51   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Blue323,

Please not another mention of the plane batteries. Different chemistry than what is being talked about here.

The safe charge and discharge rate of a battery depends on the chemistry and construction. Generalizations about not liking to be charged or discharged fast, well, you know what they say about generalizations.

It seems you are new here, please read and learn before making blanket statements. Otherwise, welcome to the forum!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuet323 View Post
If we all remember the lithium batteries on planes. They do not like to be charged quickly or discharged quickly. Any sealed battery is not great for high rate discharge or charge. What they are great for is to be charged and able to keep that charge for a long time without losing very much of its charge like a wet battery. To provide high amperage you would need many in parallel taking in account the amperage spec of the battery you have. Charging them slowly is always the better option.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:07   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuet323 View Post
they are lithium cobalt oxide Not lithium iron phosphate. (Lfp)
we use Lfp batteries in our boats ( lowest fire risk of any of the cemeteries )
Old 13-05-2019, 08:08   #55

All,
Biggest issue with Lithium is with the risk of fire and the following link is a company that has been able to overcome that issue with monitoring.

They primarily service the Telecom market, but understand that this market has one of the most stringent standards for DC power as the entire network runs on DC power.

https://www.incellint.com/smart-lithium-battery/
scott.erwin@incellint.com
Retirecaribbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:58   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
My apologizes, no offense intended, I wasn't stating that your system will be a DIY setup. I am just cautioning that it be done right as far too many battery systems are not properly designed on boats because electrification on recreational boats, e.g., sailboats is comparatively new as to having large house battery banks. Some production boats direct from the factory are not properly optimized as to their battery configurations, the industry is still adapting.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's an interesting observation.

I agree that "Some production boats direct from the factory are not properly optimized as to their battery configurations..." since many new boats still come with two equal house banks, unfortunately D types that aren't true deep cycle.

But it seems that "..electrification on recreational boats, e.g., sailboats is comparatively new as to having large house battery banks" may be unusual, with stress on the comparatively new as to having large house battery banks."

Nigel Calder wrote about the advantages of having the largest house bank over 20 years ago in the 2nd edition of his popular Boatowners Manual for Mechanical and Electrical Systems.

Of course, "comparatively new" could be compared to the either the beginning of boating (!), the beginning of time itself, or to having electrical systems on recreational boats, say in the 1930s. IIRC, even the Titanic had electricity.

OTOH, since the concept is well over 20 years old now, should it still be considered "new?"
Just pickin' nits here...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:44   #57

Boat: 50 ft lite displacement motor boat

There is a big step between SWAG scientific wild arse guess and sound systems engineering. It is always sensible to understand what domain you are operating in.
Geoff
FIEAUST, CPEng, NER, MCEE
geoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:05   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

As far as I can tell, those batteries, cost more than $3000 each in the U.S. -- https://www.batterypete.com/big-batt...-sb12v160e-zc/. So you're talking about $36,000 of batteries?

Most people trying to do a system like this, like everyone actually, would buy the raw cells at $1.20 per a/h at 3.2v, or whatever -- so $9000 or so for the cells, plus something for a proper BMS which remains and can be used with replacement cells should that be necessary.

Is there any particular reason why you want the batteries to be pre-packaged into lead-like units of 12v nominal at three times the cost? Lithium is very different from lead and needs a different kind of infrastructure. Trying to imitate lead form-factors and package the infrastructure into the same box with the cells seems like an inefficient approach to me. Especially if you're doing it for electric propulsion so you don't have any existing lead infrastructure you are trying to reuse.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:17   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
As far as I can tell, those batteries, cost more than $3000 each in the U.S. -- https://www.batterypete.com/big-batt...-sb12v160e-zc/. So you're talking about $36,000 of batteries?

Most people trying to do a system like this, like everyone actually, would buy the raw cells at $1.20 per a/h at 3.2v, or whatever -- so $9000 or so for the cells, plus something for a proper BMS which remains and can be used with replacement cells should that be necessary.

Is there any particular reason why you want the batteries to be pre-packaged into lead-like units of 12v nominal at three times the cost? Lithium is very different from lead and needs a different kind of infrastructure. Trying to imitate lead form-factors and package the infrastructure into the same box with the cells seems like an inefficient approach to me. Especially if you're doing it for electric propulsion so you don't have any existing lead infrastructure you are trying to reuse.
here is a manufacturer that I can get the bare cells thru cheap ( no I hadn't researched the company yet ) . 115 per unit 3.2v 200ah cells.

Its just an example of what's available at a much cheaper cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190513-161456.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	191979  
Old 13-05-2019, 16:25   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
here is a manufacturer that I can get the bare cells thru cheap ( no I hadn't researched the company yet ) . 115 per unit 3.2v 200ah cells.

Its just an example of what's available at a much cheaper cost.

In Europe, a lot of folks use these guys:

https://www.ev-power.eu/Winston-40Ah-200Ah/

A serious company with real support, selling the major brands: Winston, CALB, Sinopoly, and not mystery no-name cells buried in some box. Roughly $400 U.S. per kW/h for the cells.

I think it's dangerous wishful thinking, to believe that just because it looks like a lead battery, that you can just hook it up and use it like one. I think one had better start with a clean sheet of paper, especially that paper which is in one's own mind.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery