Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2011, 00:29   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Lights vs Battery Life

I just replaced all of my interior lights with lunasea bulbs this week. One bulb that resembles a regular automotive bulb barely draws enough for my link10 battery monitor to measure. I got all warm white bulbs to replace the incandescents in my old-school brass fixtures with fresnel lenses and they're 100% as nice and comfortable as the old bulbs. With my wholesale discount at the local chandlery the LED's are just over $5.00 each and the conventional bulbs are just under $2.00 each. The conventional bulbs drew .9 amps and the LEDs draw less than .1 amps. They also have some nice new mounting options. I got a 12" under cabinet strip light for about $20.00 and a 24" strip for about $40.00 and I was able to install them so that they flood the counter tops with light in a space that there just wasn't room for most light fixtures. I also got a single bulb reading light that uses so little juice that I can only read it with my multi-meter.
LED's will last so long that they will easily pay for themselves in bulb costs alone now that the prices are so low, not to mention the electricity generation savings. Just go get some and you will love them.

Old 26-07-2011, 02:46   #17

Again, yes & yes. I use regular incandescent bulbs in the head because it gives of a more natural color (the girls like that, as the LED makes thier skin look wierd in the mirror) .As someone already mentioned the LEDs give off a blueish white - white light. A lens filter will help some, but the damn things never stay on!

Old 26-07-2011, 05:20   #18

I've been converting over to LED's for several years. Including the mast lights and the flourscent fixtures as they fail. One very useful LED light I have found is the BEKA light from BEBI Electronics in FIJI:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: WHAT WORKS: THE BEBI LED BEKA LIGHT
I has a ring of bright LED's around the perimeter and several warm down facing LED's. Works great in the cockpit and cabin. It can also serve as an emergency stern light or running light (with some properely colored red and green gels taped to it).
When buying LED's it is best to get the ones with onboard built in regulators. They make the LED's easy to install since the are not polarity sensitive and protect the LED junctions from failure by voltage changes and spikes on the 12 volt wiring. I still keep a few florescents around as they do illuminate much more area when one needs that much light. But, I would recommend all the incandesents be changed ASAP to start saving battery amps.
Old 26-07-2011, 06:43   #19

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Every bulb on my boat is now LED including the nav lights with the one exception being the light at the chart table - LED's dont always render the colors on charts properly so it is a good idea to have at least one bulb that will show the chart as it is supposed to be.

One truly excellent side benefit of the lower electricity draw is that I don't have to nag my wife to turn off lights any more. Leaving them on is still a sin, but such a small one that it really doesnt make much difference. It just isnt worth .1 amp which is about the most it ever amounts to.
Old 26-07-2011, 06:49   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Lights versus battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'm in the same boat, so to speak. I've decided to wait until my incandescent nav lights burn out to replace them with LEDs, and the darned things just won't burn out.
Still trying, of course.
If your boat has insurance on it - do not change your nav/anchor lights (any USGC required lights) to LED's unless you purchase the USCG approved LED nav/anchor lights, which are available. Just changing the bulbs without using a "USCG approved LED" might allow the insurance company to avoid paying any claims from incidents that involve required lighting. If you are uninsured, go for it.
Old 26-07-2011, 07:03   #21

I have changed all my cabin and anchor lites to led The cheap led lites are a waste of money Pay the money for good led and you will not regret it A regular 12 v lite uses something like 2-3 amps the led replacement uses .2-.3 amps
Old 26-07-2011, 13:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Thanks for all that info. Where this potential LED got to me was on another cat where the guy actually fitted white strip light LED's on the floor boards, steps and in the corners all the way up to the saloon up to a twin switch which connect the cockpit.

It was a cool sight at night, especialy when it was dark moon and all the ligts were down.
Old 28-07-2011, 23:09   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

I saw a mono the other evening who had his entire outline in LED white and blue and it looked real good sitting at that harbor, it actually drew crowd to come and see!

I guess it's ok and perhaps we should be proud of our boat's!
Old 29-07-2011, 03:09   #24

Boat: GibSea 402

Have a look at the LED lights at this site. I have fitted to all navigation /anchor lights and have not seen better.At any anchorage at night the difference to other yachts is impressive.

Bebi Electronics-Home of the Finest Marine LED Lighting Products on Sea (or Earth)!
Old 29-07-2011, 06:49   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Does anyone actually use LED on their boats and does the saving really ammount to as much as the adverts leads one to think?
I've changed all mine to LEDs except the bathrooms (when ya gotta squeeze a pimple...).

Now I can have all lights on and voltage doesn't notice.

only problem can be that LEDs can be quite directional - but maybe getting better now. So I have put in quite a few extra to light the boat up.

They can be quite expensive so hunt around or wait for a sale.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 08:31   #26

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
I converted all my old dome lights using led (sensibulbs). They work great and make a pleasing yellow/incandescent looking light. I also added a red one tp each dome and replaced the old switches with a 2 way. Gives a great light and has the nice old heavy glass clunky look instead of the newer plastic models.

I can turn all 8 on in the boat and use less power than one of 40 watt incandescent sconces in the salon. Those need to go next but I haven't found a good screw in with a wide diffusion angle.
Old 29-07-2011, 11:08   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I have a lumasea CCF (9 watt dimable) for main cabin lighting. Everything else is LED. The best upgrade for a boat I think.
Old 29-07-2011, 11:26   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Lights versus battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
Yes and yes and yes.

Nearly all of the lighting in the boat have now been changed over to LED's (incl nav lights). In fact just last week I was replacing a few of the old blown bulbs. Simply pull out the old halogen and plug in the new LED equivalent.

My only complaint is that so far we have only been able to replace interior lights with "cool white" which we find a little glarey and cold, rather like a flouro. We have left a few old halogens in, in strategic places to create a bit of mood lighting until we can locate some "warm yellow" LED replacements.

Cheers
Lisa
You ought to get some from Sailors Solutions.com
The light is almost impossible to tell from Halogen, but has a more even distribution of light as well as 80% less power draw.
We have six in our saloon.

Warm White stips from Oznium.com are also good, although a little yellower in color. We use them for undercounter lighting.

We used this for cove lighting. Also nice goldish yellow mood color:

Amazon.com: led rope light

We haven't changed any navigation lights yet.
Old 29-07-2011, 18:51   #29

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I changed over to LED last year, went from 17 amps for all the cabin lights to 1.2 amps. I bought the Sensi-bulbs from Sailors Solutions with the adapter for a double bayonet. I get more light and a warm color.
Old 29-07-2011, 19:13   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
I changed over to LED last year, went from 17 amps for all the cabin lights to 1.2 amps. I bought the Sensi-bulbs from Sailors Solutions with the adapter for a double bayonet. I get more light and a warm color.
And in those lower latitudes, don't forget the relief from HEAT from the use of incandescent or halogen lights!

It's not noticeable in higher latitudes, but when the cabin is already hot, it's a significant and compelling benefit.

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: