Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 05:12   #1

Lifespan of rigging?

I was presented with a good opportunity on a 2004 Lagoon 440 where the older owners lost interest. It appears to be a good deal overall but I am concerned that the rigging is original and needs replacement - even though an inspection shown no obvious issues.

Rigging is mission critical IMO & I was told 10 years is a good lifespan - but I am not sure replacement should be a deal breaker...opinions?
dploypos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 05:24   #2

Re: Lifespan of rigging?

10 year or 15 000nm is recommended
But I know many boats circumnavigating 30k without replacing the rigging during the trip.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 05:30   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

What Andreas said - altho I would not bet on another boats luck

But obviously it depends on how (much & where) the boat was used.
Have a rigger check it out if you're unsure about the surveyor.

If it's a dealbreaker or not depends on you (and/or financial agreement).
Old 22-12-2015, 05:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF dploypos! !

Rig life opinions are as varied as anchor and hull number preferences... i.e. "all over the map!

Generally accepted 10 yrs is near the minimum spectrum... 15 being heard more... BUT... The caveat is on how the boat was used... A hot rod sled routinely pushed to the limit in can races needs a rerig faster than a condo cat if materials AND EXPOSURE are equal... 25k NM is thrown around a lot...

Honestly... It's all up to original material build, and good inspection... I'd start researching '04 Lagoon rigs...

A rerig would never be a deal breaker for me... Straight forward... Known replacement quality and age... Doesn't have to break the bank either done a few at a time...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 05:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

PS Advisor: Replacing Wire Rigging - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/rigging/checklist.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 05:53   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Cat rigging in general needs replacement more frequently than monos.

You may well have trouble getting insurance on a Lagoon 440 if the standing rigging is more that 10 years old.

At 11-12 years old, I would budget for a complete rigging replacement and factor that into the price you are willing to pay.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 23:38   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

I replaced mine last year after just seven years, owing to visible corrosion at the swaging; two strands had parted. It wasn't too expensive (2000 GBP). Worth it for the peace of mind.

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Isle of Arran, Scotland
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 06:59   #8

THe quote to replace on the Lagoon was $11k....seems high but not sure.
dploypos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 01:36   #9

Thats way high, materials should be no more than 2000 dollars. The only that takes more than 15 min to change in forward due to roller furling.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 01:50   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Find a rigger you can trust, and have it carefully inspected.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Certainly rigging often lasts far longer than 10 years, and miles may also not be a good indicator of life. Cyclical loads of a rig on a mooring, can wear it out with no miles at all.

It is quite possible that you still have years and many miles to go on that rigging.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 01:59   #11

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

IMO if you are considering making an offer, budget on changing the rig.

I just went through this on a mono i purchased. The rigging looked good at survey but on the delivery , several strands broke on the lowers ( both sides) . The crew sailed it downwind back to a a suitable port. I flew in and changed the rigging my self over a period of a week.

I kick myself I had had a proper rigger inspect the rig Though I know for sure we would have told me that the age ( 8 years) , he would have told me they recommended changing it .

Rigging isnt hard, and you can save a lot of money by doing it your self. I learned a ton and will always do my own ( with help if needed) in the future.

Check out the last two SY Delos Videos: They just went through this too:

Hope this helps
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 04:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Its mainly about insurance, 10 years is pretty much the limit for most companies, but it depends on the boat (brand and Model). Get a couple of quotes to do the standing rigging and adjust your offer by that much?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 04:42   #13

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dploypos View Post
I was presented with a good opportunity on a 2004 Lagoon 440 where the older owners lost interest. It appears to be a good deal overall but I am concerned that the rigging is original and needs replacement - even though an inspection shown no obvious issues.

Rigging is mission critical IMO & I was told 10 years is a good lifespan - but I am not sure replacement should be a deal breaker...opinions?
Buy the boat and go sailing. I recently replaced my rigging after 20 years and 30,000+ miles. I did the original rigging back then as well. That is, my hands-on both times. I was very curious to examine the state of the wire (304 grade) inside of the terminals. It was fine. Don't worry about it. Riggers would like you to replace your wire as often as you are willing to pay for it. Just like the toothpaste companies want you to slop 3" of toothpaste over your brush. On my list of worries, I'd start with corroded engine bits, through hulls, etc. I assume it's 1/19 with swages, if the swages look good (no cracks or bends etc) then go sailing. Or, write a big check and make some rigger happy to have the work. He'll be happy to do it for you.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 04:45   #14

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
I replaced mine last year after just seven years, owing to visible corrosion at the swaging; two strands had parted. It wasn't too expensive (2000 GBP). Worth it for the peace of mind.

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Isle of Arran, Scotland
Seven years and parted strands???? WOW!!!

There must be a HUGE variation in wire quality. Go with the best, is my advice. My 20 year old 304 grade 1X19 into Norsemans were still fine after 20 years. I was very curious about the ends and the inner strands. No problems. When I rerigged last fall, I used 316 wire from the most reputable supplier I could find in the USA.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 04:50   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Look at it this way. In addition to the rigging being 10+ years old, as you stated, the owners lost interest in the boat. Which means that a good while back, they totally lost interest in doing any upkeep on the boat, including & especially the rig. As rig work is expensive.

Also, while 10 years is the average figure, you don't really know the boat's history. And rigging generally rots fron the inside out. Meaning that it can look fine, but literally hanging on by a thread.
Plus, it's just a fact, that headstays wear out a good bit quicker than other stays & shrouds when the boat has a furler. You can read on some of the why, starting here & scrolling down http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1996543

So, as has already been said, you'll need to budget for swapping out all of the standing rigging. Plus, a full rigging inspection. Meaning; tube, tangs, fasteners, chainplates, sheaves, boom, reefing system, blocks & attachments, wiring & conduits, running rigging, lights & antenas, etc., etc.
--> Basically, everything which would see zero attention from a disinterested owner.

So, have a rigger (with good references) look things over, & see about getting a ballpark quote from him as part of that. Then use it as a negotiating tool as part of buying the boat. Otherwise, you could wind up with a $4-digit headache.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging