Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 22:41   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Let me look thru your eyes at this Manta 38

What do you see?

Manta 38

Issues? Good deal? A So-So Maybe deal? Run and lock your doors deal? I am so tired of not knowing what I am reading; for instance:
It says this boat has a "1000 watt pure sine wave inverter" That sounds like a pretty good thing, but what the hell is it????

The ad also states: "2 Jabsoco Manual Heads with full size bowels"

Now I ask you, is that a typo, or are there heads that offer half-sized bowels? I believe I want the full sized head for my bowels which, if you must know, are fine sized bowels.

I could go on and on and on and on. To be clear, I am not asking what a "1000 watt pure sine wave inverter" is so much as I'm asking is this Manta a good deal or not? What do you see from the ad alone? I am not ready to buy this boat, but if I were ready, it looks good to me, but then, I don't even know what an effing 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter is..(I can probably guess) but also, if it's all the same to you, let's leave further mention of bowels in general, and mine in particular, out too I would appreciate some insight into this boat, maybe I can learn to see what you see.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 22:54   #2

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Re: Let me look thru your eyes at this Manta 38

to put it simply, an inverter takes battery power and turns it into house hold power. DC to AC. The pure sign wave part means that it is safer for sensitive electronics. A thousand watts is enough to run an entertainment center or a drill.

As for the boat, It is out of my league. So, I can't help you there.

Scott
Old 18-07-2012, 23:39   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

That looks to be a good Cat, big enough for 2 + 2 kids to live on, cruise for a couple of weeks. Even two couples if tyhe berths are laid out right.
Use the CF 'Search' button to get various views on this particular model.
Get two surveyors to check it through thoroughly, one must be familiar with fibreglass hulls and osmosis, the other with rigging and electrics.
A net seach of the model will give you an idea for the right price bracket too.
Old 18-07-2012, 23:49   #4

Just a couple things off the top of my head, it has a garmin 740, which is a nice chartplotter. nice, but not 'oh wow' nice.

That 1000 watt inverter, seams REALLY small for a cat of that size. my 36' mono has a 3000 watt inverter by comparison, and I'd say 2k would be 'normal'

I have no idea what a manta is going for, when I was looking a few years ago I recall them being 250 or so. OTOH the market sucks
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 23:58   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

List the things you want on your boat, get prices, add to the coat of the boat so you have an idea of that you might be spending in the first year as things break down, fail to do what you expect, the buttons don't make sense.
Leave the inverter as is, add a standby genny if you need more power, or change things to 12v. 220V is dangerous on a boat, get modern Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers fitted professionally with spare units in damp-proof plastic bags.
Old 19-07-2012, 01:26   #6

The importand thing you are buying is the boat, not the electronics. Before buying a Cat in that range I would try to charter one and see if you like it.
IMHO this Cat has a lot of additional equipment (like Airconditioning) that makes one think of a floating home, nothing for fast sailing. That's ok if it is the way you prefer to cruise.
Martin
tomcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 06:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Seems like it's got some fairly modern and well kept equipment. Pity the photos are crap - can't see much.

You could get a mid to late 90's Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 for that much, but they don't seem to be quite as roomy based on the pictures.

Seems like someone has done some cruising in her.

You could get a Lagoon 38 for a similar figure but it would be out of charter, have less gear however it would be a bit newer.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 06:52   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The Manta is way better built than the FP/LAG. They also have a significantly better hull shape than the Lag in particular. However, they became 40 and then 42 for a reason, the 38 really benefitted from another metre. If you can keep a 38 light, and I do mean light - its a pretty good thing. Make your own mind up about that particular boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 06:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Just remember, it's 18 years old. Think of an 18 year old car and the sorts of bits and pieces that need doing on it as it ages. Something around 2002 - 2003 would be nice being on 10 years old or less.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 05:23   #10

Mantas have fairly low bridgedeck clearance to my eye, but I've always heard good things spoken of them from the owners
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 21:31   #11

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

What do you want the boat for? Are you planning to go full-time cruising or simply a weekender? I'd say that has a big impact upon what type of boat makes sense.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 12:54   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I fell in love with the Manta from the first time I got on one. I have never sailed one but certainly read everything I could about them for years. It was "the one" for me but remained out of reach.

The earlier ones were built by Endeavour in Clearwater FL. Very good build. The boat was stretched to 40' and then to 42' over the years. It was sold with living aboard cruising in mind so had many popular amenities.

In my opinion it has the best cockpit I have seen on a large cat.

While not having as much bridge deck clearance as some cats, it does have a "curve" to it that can convert slamming to "swooshing".

The rig can be handled by one person with all lines led to the cockpit. The jib has a wishbone boom that gives it shape and is easily controlled.

Too bad I am not ready to again look for a boat as I have decided that it either has to be tied up in the back yard or lived on. How others manage to maintain boats, sail them and still work every day (including weekends) I don't know.

Anyway. I love the Manta.

Though a 40' by Endeavour would be my "dream".
Old 22-07-2012, 14:31   #13

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Mantas been reputed by many to be one of the toughest strongest built cats. Only difference between the 38 and the larger ones is the transoms were extended further back. Rest of boat is the same. Looked at a newer one that actually had foot step holds built into the sides of the hull towards the bow. Cockpit is awesome and strongest top / davit system I have ever seen. Helm vis is really good but sitting up high.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 22:43   #14

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Issues? Good deal? A So-So Maybe deal? Run and lock your doors deal? I am so tired of not knowing what I am reading; for instance:
I would say a bad-to-so-so deal. It appears to be a very nice cat, but there are other cats which are younger and larger in a similar price range.

This could be a good deal if it is (a) a layout and size you prefer, and (b) is so exceptionally well maintained and/or built that it is better than much newer boats in the same price range.

As previously mentioned, this can only be discovered through comparison shopping. Use this boat as your benchmark, and look for similarly priced boats. Is this boat the best boat you can buy for that money?

OTOH, if you are not really in the market for a $200k boat, then you will find this question difficult to answer. If you are a serious 200k buyer, then only YOU will know what you like the "best". Personally, I can never glean condition from pictures.

I think the process starts with knowing how much you are willing/able to spend, then working forward from that point to find the "best" you can get for that price.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 23:38   #15

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Thank you all. I appreciate your input. ArtM, I will say that 200K is a bit more than I want to spend, but it is not out of the equation. Your points are well taken.

Ausaviator warned about the fact that the boat is 18 years old. That does worry me, as I have no urge to fix things constantly. I’m not good at it, and I consequently don’t like doing it. But, I know I will learn, have to learn, must learn, and maybe I will even get good at it.

Muskoka, I will be a full time live-aboard. I plan to sail it to the ends of the earth and the end of the earth.

Therapy, I do like the build and integrity and the cockpit, and “swooshing” sounds better than “thumping”.

Eleven suggested getting two surveyors. “One must be familiar with fiberglass hulls and osmosis, the other with rigging and electrics.”

It has crossed my mind that a psychologist might be useful too. I am going to buy a boat and go cruising and live aboard, and it will not be all “fun and sunsets” and I know that the challenges are daunting, and I’m going to learn and live with it all, mistakes included. I appreciate the help here. I need it, and you’re trying for me. Thanks!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta