Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 12:16   #1

Question Leopard cracked Saloon Window(s)

I saw a few Leopard 48 owners comment that their saloon window(s) crack. This may apply to Leopard 44, 48, & 45.

Anyone have the details as to what is going on and which models & years it applies to?
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:20   #2

Boat: SOLD
Re: Leopard cracked Saloon Window(s)

Ask the owners you saw...
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

That's what he is asking " he saw them comment on.." did not see the actual boats.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 15:12   #4

Boat: Leopard 39

My 2011 Leopard 39 has a crack in the forward starboard saloon window. It was not from a blow to the plexiglass.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 17:32   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Interesting to fold this into the recent thread debating whether those windows are stout enough to withstand heavy wave strikes. Cracking on their own does not generate confidence in my view.

Jim
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29   #6

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Interesting to fold this into the recent thread debating whether those windows are stout enough to withstand heavy wave strikes. Cracking on their own does not generate confidence in my view.

Jim
My thoughts as well, Jim; and although we're talking about anecdotal reports, it doesn't feel anecdotal to me. If it's an issue across a spectrum of vessels of the Leopard line, perhaps the cause is as simple as their factory installation protocol or their plexiglass templates, rather than an engineering design flaw of the coach roofs/masts. I will be informing Robertson and Caine of this issue; but in a practical vein, I'll have the pane replaced to industry specs at my next haul-out and see if the problem recurs.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:08   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Before this conversation takes too much for granted, can the OP list the thread(s) where the owners made those comments? I’d be interested in reading them since we’re shopping for one, and I must have missed those threads; I don’t see them in my research notes.

Please share the link with us.

Thanks and wet regards from Md :-(
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Before this conversation takes too much for granted, can the OP list the thread(s) where the owners made those comments? I’d be interested in reading them since we’re shopping for one, and I must have missed those threads; I don’t see them in my research notes.

Please share the link with us.

Thanks and wet regards from Md :-(
Transparency info:
I just found links I copied on a 2008 with small seam cracks on a fwd and side window attributed to expansion, and a 2011 that had a similar issue with a fwd window.

Lee
Old 02-12-2018, 05:49   #9

I can't recall were I read about the issue, it may have been these two:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2503197

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2503300
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 14:55   #10
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Looks like R&C may have under spec'd/poorly designed their windows.

Who'd have thought that a manufacturer, building boats for the charter market, would cut a corner and try and save costs somewhere! I mean, it's inconceivable! Certainly would never happen on a mono! Bloody cat builders!

If it's a bad design it's just another engineering problem to solve. Engineers/NAs do this for a living.

If it's under spec'd or a faulty product (glue, whatever) is an even simpler problem to fix.

Either way, its a chat to the builder or, a better option, is finding someone with no financial ties to the builder who runs them. A second tier charter company will know the boats inside and out and don't buy the boats from R&C directly.

If the boat's in the warranty period it's an even easier fix.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 15:08   #11

If you have concerns about the strength of the plexiglass windows, I suggest perhaps upgrading to polycarbonate.

Reference video to reveal the distinctions in impact resistance. https://coloradoplastics.com/polycar...crylic-lucite/

For civility sake, now having watched the above referenced video lets not begin a departure of this thread as to a discussion of whether it is better to use a hand gun or a shot gun to shoot out a polycarbonate window.

Note polycarbonate will scratch a bit easier than acrylic / plexiglass but you will not be able to bust polycarbonate.

I noted this article regarding leaking of the salon side windows on Leopards.
Snipet there from: Rebedding The Salon Windows...or Not
". . . it was time to get one of my bigger projects started. Leopard catamarans have a near 100% failure rate on the sealing of the salon side windows on most of their boats, and mine was no exception." This Rat Sailed: Rebedding The Salon Windows...or Not
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23   #12

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
I noted this article regarding leaking of the salon side windows on Leopards.
Snipet there from: Rebedding The Salon Windows...or Not
". . . it was time to get one of my bigger projects started. Leopard catamarans have a near 100% failure rate on the sealing of the salon side windows on most of their boats, and mine was no exception." This Rat Sailed: Rebedding The Salon Windows...or Not
There are several YouTube episodes from Gone with the Wynns where they are rebedding/resealing salon windows on their 43. In the latest one they changed things up a bit. Leopard paints the interior of the plex on the edge before installation to hide the sealant. If there are any air gaps or bubbles in the rather wide sealant application, it would show through if not for this masking paint. But it appears that the paint is causing the failure. Either the sealant separates from the paint, or the paint from the window.

In either case, the Wynn's solution was to coat the interior edge with a thin glaze of sealant, then bed sealant to sealant. Hopefully this works.

My FP has the masking paint on the exterior, and I believe Lagoon does as well.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
There are several YouTube episodes from Gone with the Wynns where they are rebedding/resealing salon windows on their 43. In the latest one they changed things up a bit. Leopard paints the interior of the plex on the edge before installation to hide the sealant. If there are any air gaps or bubbles in the rather wide sealant application, it would show through if not for this masking paint. But it appears that the paint is causing the failure. Either the sealant separates from the paint, or the paint from the window.

In either case, the Wynn's solution was to coat the interior edge with a thin glaze of sealant, then bed sealant to sealant. Hopefully this works.

My FP has the masking paint on the exterior, and I believe Lagoon does as well.
Since it would be interesting to hear both sides I’ve shared your evaluation with Leopard and am awaiting a response; will post when received.

Regards,
Old 05-12-2018, 07:31   #14

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Since it would be interesting to hear both sides I’ve shared your evaluation with Leopard and am awaiting a response; will post when received.

Regards,
Here's the latest window vid from them

https://youtu.be/qJgHjRUJytw
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Here's the latest window vid from them

https://youtu.be/qJgHjRUJytw
Yep I’ve seen them all. A few other owners with 12-13 year old boats sitting in the Caribbean sun had some similar issues. Wasn’t paint - i think it was the Sika they used, which they no longer do. My 2004 portlights were put in in the same way and leaked.

No doubt, if you’re troubled and think it’s only a Leopard issue, I’d certainly look for something else. That said, I was always an FP fan; the Orana was high on our list. They’re have water issues at the base of the mast. It’s always something.

We’ll see what they say.

Tags
leopard, saloon, wind