Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 17:42   #1

Lavezzi vs Belize

I had my heart set on getting a FP Lavezzi in the next few months (2006 model ) but before i make an offer i have the option of picking up a Belize for the same price in charter config .(2004 model)

Belize has low engine hours and apparently in very good condition .

I haven't seen a Belize in the flesh ...and battling to get a good idea of general layout / handling etc
Am seriously tempted to put in an offer and pay airfares for a look .
Is the size difference noticeable ?
Use of space?

How is the performance between the two ( both loaded at their respective max weights )

Anything seemingly obvious I should be made aware of that I am missing between the two?

Ideas would be greatly appreciated ... My first Cat
Alphabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 17:53   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Lavezzi vs Belize

I was going thru the same 9 years ago when the Levezzi was first released.

I found the Levezzi to have finer bows, more a sport design compared to the Belize. I would guess the loading carrying capacity is considerably different.

One tipping point for me was to keep engines/diesel out of the living space. The Belize allows for a generator in the port engine room, the Levezzi would have to go under a berth.

The Belize is a very nice sailing vessel, but I'm biased!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 03:10   #3

I have not sailed either vessel. However, I have been on both and I can say that I like the layout of the Belize better.

Also, as the Belize is a bigger boat, it will probably be a more comfortable ride.

If two boats are the same price and the same condition. I would pick the bigger one any time!!

Cheers
drunknsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 03:22   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Both are nice, but the bigger you go the more it costs in marina fees , to maintain & repairs- & this can be a lot more as many places are now charging by the sq feet Uggg! So bigger is not necessarily better
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 14:38   #5

Boat: between boats

I compared a lipari to the belize but only sailed the lipari so cant comment on performance comparison. On the layout i found the belize to be a bit outdated with the step over transom into cockpit and poorly laid out galley a big downer for the admiral (is the older lavezzi the same?) Reckon belize would sail alot better though so depends on your priorities as always eh
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 15:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I compared a lipari to the belize but only sailed the lipari so cant comment on performance comparison. On the layout i found the belize to be a bit outdated with the step over transom into cockpit and poorly laid out galley a big downer for the admiral (is the older lavezzi the same?) Reckon belize would sail alot better though so depends on your priorities as always eh
There is a couple schools of thought on the 'step over transom'. Although the walk-out cockpit may be a pleasure at anchor, to some it feels 'unsafe' in rough seas. Anything on the floor can/will slide out. We put stuff on the cockpit floor for safety (coolers, cushions, etc.). Plus the additional storage afforded by the seat lockers and 'upper' engine rooms is very useful.

The Belize galley is not located next to the salon door, but it's not lacking any amenities. Dual sinks, fresh and salt water, 3 burner stove, oven, separate refrigerator and freezer. It's a true galley arraignment and doesn't afford 2 working in the galley at the same time (but it can be fun depending on who it is!). A little more counter space would be nice.

YMMV
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12   #7

Alphabob, the two designs you are comparing both come with different internal layouts that, in my opinion give greatly different feel to the inside of each.

The Lavezzi comes in charter (4 cabins and 2 mid-hull heads) and maestro ( 3 cabins and an owners head in the starboard bow. The Belize has a similar two configurations as well as a 4 cabin, 4 head charter version. This version IMHO is dingy and claustrophobia inducing. It also is the the most common version for sale, no wonder!

So, I would prefer the internal layout of a Maestro version Lavezzi over a "4X4" charter version Belize. Conversely, a Maestro Belize wins over all other versions with airy feel and semi island beds.

Internal layouts aside, the Belize is a much bigger boat with greater load carrying capacity, higher freeboard and large rig. It is also more expensive to maintain, more costly to replace rig, sails,etc and moor.

I hope my musings are of assistance. Cheers
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41   #8

I was very interested in a Lavezzi, until I got aboard. I hit my head several times in 5 minutes. The FP designers must be midgets. Although the newer designs have now got the headroom sorted. I cant recall being on a Belize, so not sure if headroom is an issue there.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I was very interested in a Lavezzi, until I got aboard. I hit my head several times in 5 minutes. The FP designers must be midgets. Although the newer designs have now got the headroom sorted. I cant recall being on a Belize, so not sure if headroom is an issue there.
Yes a head banger for sure haha !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Yes a head banger for sure haha !
FWIW

Fountaine-Pajot Headroom - Aeroyacht
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03   #11

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

I haven't sailed a Belize but have done some deliveries on a Lavezzi and was impressed with it's peformance. I have sailed it in conditions up to 45 knots. I have some Youtube clips of the Lavezzi which may assist and my channel is the same as my Username.

I liked the layout and the walkthrough transom which makes it much easier to get around the boat especially when docking. In a following sea it is not a concern to me as I see it as a good feature which would shed any water that came aboard quickly. If it was a concern to you then you could easily install a dropin washboard for use in heavy conditions then you have the best of both worlds. We also fish a lot and when trollling a lure the walkthrough with the aft platform is great. It really comes down to personal preference.

Make sure you check thoroughly for hull blisters, plenty of threads on this to search for but the Lavezzi I delivered did not have any.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Make sure you check thoroughly for hull blisters, plenty of threads on this to search for but the Lavezzi I delivered did not have any.
I agree. Fountaine Pajot and osmosis have become inextricably linked. A terrible shame. The Belize model seems to not suffer as frequently as the Lavezzi.

Insequent! A fellow Brisbanian. I hope you live in California not Queensland, as visits to Puget Sound are long and arduous from here. Cheers.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:57   #13

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

I've taken the opportunity charter both models for several weeks each, as part of my search for "the" boat to cruise on. Both boats were Maestro versions, I wouldn't consider the 4 cabin versions of these for my purposes.

Let me say both boats sailed (and motored) well enough to get you there.

While the Lavezzi was an OK boat; it was just too small for us, even in the Maestro version, it was disappointing. The Belize was a nicer boat, the owner's side ergonomics, lockers, head, & shower were superior. Storage in general, as you would expect from a larger boat, was also superior.

(I still don't get the concept of "fainting couch" on the owners suite side of the Maestros (both had it) I see that as a totally usless waste of space and would rip it out at the dock for more vertical, pantry or hanging, storage.)

Both boats had genset and AC, which REALLY compromised the storage spaces with duct work, and took a valuable cockpit lazerette on the Lavezzi. Genset lived in the port engine compartment on the Belize, a superior and quieter location.

In my view, of these two, there is only one choice for extended cruising, the Belize, especially if it's similarly priced.

Living aboard and operating these boats for two weeks was very revealing of the idiosyncracies of each. How well or not they matched up to our expectations and skill set was something we would never have gotten at the dock or on a day sail, I strongly recommend it before buying anything.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ercru View Post
(I still don't get the concept of "fainting couch" on the owners suite side of the Maestros (both had it) I see that as a totally usless waste of space and would rip it out at the dock for more vertical, pantry or hanging, storage.)
I agree completely. That space would be better utilized with more hanging lockers, general storage. I would want both lockers and wide shelves. For now, the couch becomes the catch-all for everything, dirty laundry, whatever. Although seasick crew seems to like that location, it would be better utilized differently.

If I thought it wouldn't cost a bazillion dollars, I would have a shipwright rearrange that area.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:23   #15

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

Funny how we all have the same experiences, I laughed reading "catch-all" & "dirty laundry" since that was what we used it for too, that and packing our bags. Pretty expensive real estate for such trival use.

When I was considering the Belize, I looked at redoing that whole hull between the cabin and the head. Removing both the "couch" and the desk. The desk, for me, was redundant. I really wouldn't use it, what with the chart table, salon table, and even the cockpit table available for sit down desk-type work.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, Lavezzi