Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2010, 23:47   #1

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Launch of 'Catarina'

Catarina my Maverick 400 was launched yesterday. She was weighed on the loadcell when she was lifted and came out at 7.73ton. This is with 100m of chain and 200l of diesel onboard, bigger motors, electric winches, aircon, electric toilets etc. The only things to be put on still are the cushions, helm seat and the saloon table. Needless to say I am thrilled with that! All the hard work that went into optimising the weight was worth it. When she was put in the water I was wondering why they were still holding her up untill I realised she was floating! I reckon she is going to perform really well, cannot wait to go sailing! After she was launched we went for a drive around the harbour with 30 people onboard and it felt like there were only 10 people, her size is amazing. The volvo 40's were so quiet, at the bow I could not even tell when the motors started. Everyone was blown away by the finish and quality of the boat. I will post some more sailing feedback once we have been for some testsails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catarinalaunch 186.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	18120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catarinalaunch 238.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	18121  

Name:	Catarinalaunch 289.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	18122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catarinalaunch 244.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	18123  

Name:	Catarinalaunch 301.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	18124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catarinalaunch 294.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	18125  

paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 04:56   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
Catarina my Maverick 400 was launched yesterday.
Congratulations, always nice to finally splash a boat.

Quote:
She was weighed on the loadcell when she was lifted and came out at 7.73ton.

Quote:
The only things to be put on still are the cushions, helm seat and the saloon table.
How about rig and sails?
fuel and water?
additional cruising gear?
food?
dinghy?
people?

Specs for maverick 40
Displacement 8500kg
Old 31-07-2010, 06:44   #3

Thanks for the good wishes.

I know the rig and sails still to go on, I am comparing to previous Mavericks, and Leopard 40's and lagoon 400's in the same state, ie just hull without rig. She has come out much lighter even with all the extra's I have onboard. That makes performance better and much more load carrying ability for cruising.
Old 31-07-2010, 15:41   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the good wishes.

I know the rig and sails still to go on, I am comparing to previous Mavericks, and Leopard 40's and lagoon 400's in the same state, ie just hull without rig. She has come out much lighter even with all the extra's I have onboard. That makes performance better and much more load carrying ability for cruising.
Is there a Leopard 40?
Their website says 38 and 46
Leopard Catamarans

The 38 according to their pdf says it has a displacement of 8955kg, so it "may" have a few extra kilos of load carrying ability left

And the lagoon has a displacement of 10220, so even if it weighed a bit more than 7700kg on launch it still has 2500kg up it's sleeve to get to DWL, so it would appear this vessel was designed with all the "extras" in mind.
Specifications of catamaran Lagoon 400

I supose the point I am getting at is that
Quote:
100m of chain and 200l of diesel onboard, bigger motors, electric winches, aircon, electric toilets etc
is all very nice.................on a vessel designed to carry the extra weight.
Perhaps the 50ft version?
Old 31-07-2010, 15:46   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
people?
Stowaways?

Very nice looking boat. Doesn't look like it actually needs sails though!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 23:18   #6

Cat Man Do I think there are a number of inaccuracies in your post. I have learned never trust the figures from a manufacturer when it comes to weight. A lot of them either deliberately, or because they base their weight on designer programs instead, understate the actual weight of the boat. Not many people actually go to the trouble of getting a loadcell to weigh their boats when it is launched and the ones that do often get a surprise! There was a leopard 40 that leopard built, it was stopped last year I think. Its stated weight on the brochure was 7630kg, actual weight 9400kg (same state, no rig). The leopard 38 is stated as 8955kg, not sure of the actual. Leopard 46 11000kg, actual 13 650kg. I know most FP owners who weigh their boats also get a big surprise. I think lagoon were the same although now I think the 400 is probably more accurate as they say it weighs 10220kg. The Lagoon 500 is stated as 17000kg, actual weight of an empty one in CT was 20000kg. The figures quoted are normally lightship (or completely bare) and bear no link to the actual weight carrying ability of the boat. My designed weight carrying ability is 3500kg. (although it will be higher now). My point is I will have about a 2400kg better starting weight to a comparable size lagoon 400 as an example.
Old 01-08-2010, 00:32   #7

Quote:
I have learned never trust the figures from a manufacturer when it comes to weight.
Obviously that includes Maverick as well?

Quote:
There was a leopard 40 that leopard built, it was stopped last year I think.
OK, but not according to the website
The website only shows a 38 and a 46

Quote:
Its stated weight on the brochure was 7630kg, actual weight 9400kg (same state, no rig). The leopard 38 is stated as 8955kg, not sure of the actual. Leopard 46 11000kg, actual 13 650kg.
I know most FP owners who weigh their boats also get a big surprise. I think lagoon were the same although now I think the 400 is probably more accurate as they say it weighs 10220kg. The Lagoon 500 is stated as 17000kg, actual weight of an empty one in CT was 20000kg.
Where did you get these weights from?

Quote:
The figures quoted are normally lightship (or completely bare) and bear no link to the actual weight carrying ability of the boat.
Really?
Where does the website state that?
I see some sites say lightship, but Maverick does not
They just show displacement which is how much water is displaced to get to the DWL (Design Waterline)
The website says that the Displacement of the Maverick is at 8500kg

Quote:
Displacement Volume (V): The volume of the underwater hull at any given waterline.
Displacement (W): The weight of water of the displaced volume of the ship, which equals the weight of the ship and cargo
* Displacement - (Boating): Definition
You say the weight now, is 7730kg

Quote:
My designed weight carrying ability is 3500kg. (although it will be higher now).
Right, so now you claim your boat actually has a displacement of 7730kg (load-cell weight at launch) plus 3500kg (claimed "additional" weight carrying ability) = Actual Displacement of 11200kg?

Its a shame they don't say that on the website
On the website they say the displacement is 8500kg

Specs for maverick 40
Displacement 8500kg

Quote:
My point is I will have about a 2400kg better starting weight to a comparable size lagoon 400 as an example.
How, magic?
The numbers say something different, as does the antifoul line on your pictures.
Old 01-08-2010, 00:59   #8

Congrats on the launch Paul. Nice solid looking vessel.

What wing deck clearance have you measured in this lightship state and can you tell us the sinkage rate value. ( kg/cm will give us all a good idea)?

Cheers.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:25   #9

Hi Bayview, thanks very much for the good wishes, I will measure the clearance and post it. I also had the sinkage rate at one stage, I will get that again from the designer.

Cat man do, I am not sure what your point is, maybe you would like to just disagree with everything, I work on fact, weights are from owners, delivery skippers, leopard facebook page and owners websites. If you would like a brochure of the now discontinued Leopard 40 I have one saved and would be happy to send it to you. I hope you have a lovely day.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:46   #10

Quote:
Cat man do, I am not sure what your point is, maybe you would like to just disagree with everything, I work on fact,
OK, lets look at those facts that you work on.

FACT
Quote:
Catarina my Maverick 400 was launched yesterday. She was weighed on the loadcell when she was lifted and came out at 7.73ton. (7730kg)

FACT
Quote:
My designed weight carrying ability is 3500kg. (although it will be higher now).

FACT
7730kg + 3500kg = 11230kg

FACT
Specs for maverick 40 Displacement 8500kg

paulrack, you claim your vessel has an 11,230 kg displacement
Yet the designer claims 8500kg displacement?

Those are the facts aren't they?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15   #11

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
Cat Man Do, I don't quite get it. At a time when paulrack should be congratulated and commended for the successful completion of a massive project, you're hassling him about his numbers. He's accomplished a tremendously rewarding and satisfying goal. Why not let him enjoy the moment for a week or 2, then ask questions?

And Paulrack, very nice job. Congratulations.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31   #12

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Who is this guy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Obviously that includes Maverick as well?

OK, but not according to the website
The website only shows a 38 and a 46

Where did you get these weights from?

Really?
Where does the website state that?
I see some sites say lightship, but Maverick does not
They just show displacement which is how much water is displaced to get to the DWL (Design Waterline)
The website says that the Displacement of the Maverick is at 8500kg

You say the weight now, is 7730kg

Right, so now you claim your boat actually has a displacement of 7730kg (load-cell weight at launch) plus 3500kg (claimed "additional" weight carrying ability) = Actual Displacement of 11200kg?

Its a shame they don't say that on the website
On the website they say the displacement is 8500kg

Specs for maverick 40
Displacement 8500kg

How, magic?
The numbers say something different, as does the antifoul line on your pictures.
This is what XXUXX means by pontificating "Ole Farts". This guy personifies what we don;t want here.....some rable-rousing jerk trying to steal the "Thunder" , the enjoyment of someone sharing their "splashing" of their new vessel. Go away!!
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20   #13

Thanks guys for the good wishes, I was wondering if it was just me or if one should not share stuff on the forum.

Bayview I checked the bridgeck clearance it was 75cm halfway from the front to the back of the bridgedeck (I measured through the escape hatch) and about 72cm at the back. There were 8 people on the boat when I measured. I will still get you the sinkage rate.

My last comment on the post of Cat man do. The displacement is NOT the maximum loaded weight of the boat. If that was the case all the examples that I gave means you would have to remove a portion of the boat to go sailing and could not have any fuel water supplies or people onboard. What you are referring to is full load displacement and no one quotes that on their websites.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Congrats Paulrack,

If you get here to 32N.64W, we got a mooring for ya.
Old 01-08-2010, 15:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kingsland View Post
Cat Man Do, I don't quite get it. At a time when paulrack should be congratulated and commended for the successful completion of a massive project, you're hassling him about his numbers. He's accomplished a tremendously rewarding and satisfying goal. Why not let him enjoy the moment for a week or 2, then ask questions?

And Paulrack, very nice job. Congratulations.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
You are correct of course Bob and I did congratulate paul on his launch.
Having been their myself I know what an achievement it is.

I suppose having been in an industry that is somewhat notorious for making false claims (as Paul) has pointed out himself, makes me a little sceptical of the claims and numbers made.
Especially when the evidence they provide is in direct contradiction to the information on the designers website.

I think it is important in this day and age, especially when considering what has happened and is happening in the world presently (GFC) that there is more transparency and questioning, instead of blind acceptance.