Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 22:03   #1

Question Largest Dinghy for FP Belize 43

Hello,
i have just bay a Belize 43 F.P. and i want to bay a dinghy as long and big is possible (the engine is a Suzuki 15 hp 4 stroke) that have to fit within the hulls. Of course it must not hit the hulls during navigation.
However i will tie the dinghy therefore the engine will not hit the hull, PLEASE GIVE ME 2 IMPORTANT SUGGEST'S:
- maximum lenght
- brand name and model

Sorry for my englisch writing ...
schipperaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:00   #2

Please Belize 43 owner's replay, tankyou.
Ciao
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30   #3

No anwers this is strange?? I need info please skipper give me answers.
Ciao
Old 06-11-2009, 01:59   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Hello -

I don't own your model of boat, but if I did I would measure the space available and proceed from there to see what is available in that size range that is rated for your engine.
I also recommend removing the outboard from the dinghy for offshore passages. There is a lot less strain on the davits that way.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Hello -

I don't own your model of boat, but if I did I would measure the space available and proceed from there to see what is available in that size range that is rated for your engine.
I also recommend removing the outboard from the dinghy for offshore passages. There is a lot less strain on the davits that way.
I have the measure of the space, i only need to know the experience for Belize 43 owner to understand how they lift up their tender and how long it is.
Ciao
Old 06-11-2009, 06:20   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
The constraint on the dinghy is likely not to be the size of the dinghy, but it's weight. The Davits will be designed for a specific working load, and may also have other descriptors such as safe working load or maximum working load.

Max load, implies that if you overload it will fail immediately

safe working load is not a continuous loading, and will effect the life of the system, but should not be an immediate problem.

I designed my davit system so that one davit was specified capabe of continuous use above the total weight of the dinghy.

When it is bouncing around on the davit when being lifted out of the water, or in rough seas and inadequately secured, there will be a significant snatch load that will be multiply the working load.

When it is raining, the dinghy will probably top up with water, and if you have forgottent the drain plug (again), then the water load can be considerable.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22   #7

Yes i agree, max weight on total for the davits is 140 kg then i will stay under 100 kg.
But nobody untill now info me about max lenght for Belize 43 dinghy!!
I still need this info.
Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The constraint on the dinghy is likely not to be the size of the dinghy, but it's weight. The Davits will be designed for a specific working load, and may also have other descriptors such as safe working load or maximum working load.

Max load, implies that if you overload it will fail immediately

safe working load is not a continuous loading, and will effect the life of the system, but should not be an immediate problem.

I designed my davit system so that one davit was specified capabe of continuous use above the total weight of the dinghy.

When it is bouncing around on the davit when being lifted out of the water, or in rough seas and inadequately secured, there will be a significant snatch load that will be multiply the working load.

When it is raining, the dinghy will probably top up with water, and if you have forgottent the drain plug (again), then the water load can be considerable.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:54   #8

Boat: Valiant 50
Max length is the distance between your hulls minus about 50 cm to allow for maneuvering. I think the 100Kg will be more of a limitation than the length. Also remember the vertical G forces when you are sailing or motoring in choppy seas - you can easily overload the davits if you get a bad combination.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52   #9

Boat: FP Belize 43
hello schipperaccio,

here is a photo of our 10' Zodiac on the Belize. It has 8hp and that seems to be plenty. It is pretty heavy as well, but the Davits have never shown any stress.

Also I am sending some photos of the water maker in this post as well. The White box is the genset, it's a 6KW Panda/3 cylinder Kubuto

Cheers,
Meck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sail 113.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	10949  
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2009, 16:10   #10

Hey, one thing, I am having an issue with our boom to goose neck connection. I think that someone changed the hardware. Could you send a photo of your rig so that I can compare ours? We have 1/4 gap on each side of the goose neck/boom and that does not seem normal.

Thanks,
Meck
Old 06-11-2009, 22:49   #11

Tanks Meck very interesting, i will ask you a last thing, cane you send me the photos as big as you cane at my email g.sonnino@libero.it. They are to small in this forum, i can't see good your istallation...
Sorry for my englisch...
Ciao
Old 06-11-2009, 23:10   #12

Meck another question: i see you have a fiberglass tent (sorry i do not know the real name in english) with tent i mean the cover from sun over the table outside where is the stearing. Is this tent in fiberglass original F.P. or home made from you? Where cane i bay it?
Another question: i see near the Zodiac a blue cover wich take spase near the outboard engine and take space off from the hull's. So my question is this: if i will renforce the fiberglas around the Davits and renforce the Davits with inox material do you know the maximum leght i cane fit for a Zodiac with the engine alwais on it?

Sorry for my englisch...
Ciao
Old 06-11-2009, 23:13   #13

The cat is 200 km from me wen i will go on board i will take photos. Please using very easy worlds repeat wich photo you need.
Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck View Post
Hey, one thing, I am having an issue with our boom to goose neck connection. I think that someone changed the hardware. Could you send a photo of your rig so that I can compare ours? We have 1/4 gap on each side of the goose neck/boom and that does not seem normal.

Thanks,
Meck
Old 07-11-2009, 10:16   #14

The fiberglass top and Bimini sides were custom built in Venezuela (Isla Margarita) Very inexpensive and high quality too!

The photo I need is a close up of the Boom and Mast connection.

I am suspicious that our boom was once taken off and the previous owner used improper hardware to put it back together.

Are you in Italy? That's got to be one of my favorite places in World!

Thanks,

Meck
Old 08-11-2009, 05:37   #15

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Goose neck pictures

Hello Meck,

I have got a couple of pic's from our Belize that might help you. Don't if they show but if someone can help in the attachment proicess it would be great!

I also noticed your hard bimini, I'm in the process of having one built here in Norway and would appreciate a little description of how it is put together and some pic's if possible, the more the better.

Also to all you Belize ovners, it would be great if you join in on the Belize thread on this forum. Together is strong! In the sence that we can all help each other with all issues pertinent to our boats.

Also re the dingy issue I posted a little note on this on friday but it never appeared on the thread.
My advice for the best RIB solution is to use the New Zealand produced Super Light 13'. These RIB's uses an aluminium bottom. That boat is lighter than a GRP bottom types of 10'

Happy lead free sailin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOOSE NECK TO MAST.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	10967   Click image for larger version

Name:	GOOSENECK BELIZE 43.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	10968  

Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote