Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 06:34   #1

Largest 44feet catamaran? Leopard 440 ?

I always tought that Lagoon 440 was the largest 44 feet catamaran, but today I tool a look at this video and even if I don't like too much its designs it seems farily larger than Lagoon

james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:31   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Largest 44feet catamaran? Leopard 440 ?

"Large" in what sense? Deck space? Interior volume? Footprint? Some of these type measurements you could derive from the boat dimensions. I remember a Lagoon salesman (trying to sell me a 420) that it had more interior volume than the 440.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:38   #3
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Take a look at the space on the Lagoon 450

http://youtu.be/I429-H75rII

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 12-08-2015, 08:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
"Large" in what sense? Deck space? Interior volume? Footprint? Some of these type measurements you could derive from the boat dimensions. I remember a Lagoon salesman (trying to sell me a 420) that it had more interior volume than the 440.

Dave
Yes I mean that it looks like has more interior space, but probably it's just look like they are almost the same
Old 12-08-2015, 08:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
Yes I mean that it looks like has more interior space, but probably it's just look like they are almost the same
They may be close. A crude way to compare interior volume for similar length and beam cats is simply to eye-ball the length of the bridgedeck and width of the hulls. If the cat has short bows and sterns, i.e., the bridgedeck takes up most of the available length, it will have more interior volume than a same-length cat with a shorter bridgedeck. Same logic for width of the hulls. Pretty simple, huh? This is how a L420 can have more interior volume than an L440.

Dave
Old 12-08-2015, 09:31   #6

Quote:
They may be close. A crude way to compare interior volume for similar length and beam cats is simply to eye-ball the length of the bridgedeck and width of the hulls. If the cat has short bows and sterns, i.e., the bridgedeck takes up most of the available length, it will have more interior volume than a same-length cat with a shorter bridgedeck. Same logic for width of the hulls. Pretty simple, huh? This is how a L420 can have more interior volume than an L440.

Dave
So the L420 has really more interior than 440 ? I thought it was just for saying!

Anyway it's not just about measurements but even how the designer used the space so a lesser space boat whit a smarter design seems bigger and works better
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46   #7

Quote:
So the L420 has really more interior than 440 ? I thought it was just for saying!
That's what I was told by a Lagoon salesman who was hawking 420s back when they were first introduced. Whether it's true I cannot say for sure. But I can say pretty surely that a L421 has more interior volume than my 47 foot Catana - because about a third of my boat is bow. I have spent a lot of time on my friend's 421 and it seems like it has quite a bit more interior room. This is borne out by the documented tonnage of our boats - mine is 29 GRT whereas the 421 is 32 GRT. That said, the calculation of tonnage seems more art than science. I've seen variations of tonnage of 100% between the exact same models.

Quote:
Anyway it's not just about measurements but even how the designer used the space so a lesser space boat whit a smarter design seems bigger and works better
Of course you can't stuff more volume into the same outside dimensions. Whether the usefulness (works better) of the volume is maximized depends on one's preferences.

Dave
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54   #8

Quote:
That's what I was told by a Lagoon salesman who was hawking 420s back when they were first introduced. Whether it's true I cannot say for sure. But I can say pretty surely that a L421 has more interior volume than my 47 foot Catana...

Dave
Anyway I'd go for the 440 even because seems that the 420 has a bad reputation about how it sails (it's slow), but about all the cat we are talking here probably the best one is your Catana 471 that even if has a bit less space inside, (never been on one but about what I saw on youtube it doesn't seem so much uncomfortable than Lagoons) , I'm pretty sure that gives your great satisfaction while sailing !!
Which max speed you reached?
How long you need to cross the Atlantic Ocean with your Catana ?

Probably is the best boat to sail around the world in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:10   #9

Quote:
Anyway I'd go for the 440 even because seems that the 420 has a bad reputation about how it sails (it's slow)...
I wasn't advocating the 420 over a 440 - I was just using it as an example of how interior volume can be deceptive - the topic of your original question.

The fastest indicated SOG I have ever seen on my boat in no current and not surfing was 14.3kt for a few seconds at a time. Surfing in the low 20s for the duration of the surf, then right back down to 5 or 6 as the surf ends and you try to go up the next one... I have not crossed the Atlantic, so I don't know how long it would take. Passage speeds need to be discussed in context. We've made numerous passages back and forth from the E Carib to the Chesapeake Bay and typical average speeds for these passages are 6 to 6.5 kts. The fastest passage we ever had was 7.5 kts average from St. Thomas to Norfolk which included 430 nm in 48 hours - and a lot of time motoring at 6.... Passage speeds are more about the weather than the boat, IMHO.

Dave
Old 12-08-2015, 10:47   #10

Boat: FP Orana 44

In my view, the Leopard 44 is not all that spacious. I was onboard one last year and wasn't all that impressed which I contributed to that the passage to the front cockpit takes quite some space from the salon. Needs a bigger boat to have this feature. I then looked at the numbers and the LOA is only 42'7" and its not that wide either compared to boats like the Lagoon 420.

The Lagoon 440/450, Helia are bigger and offer more space, probably also the Lagoon 420, and even my Orana 44 felt roomier in the salon/cockpit.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
In my view, the Leopard 44 is not all that spacious. I was onboard one last year and wasn't all that impressed which I contributed to that the passage to the front cockpit takes quite some space from the salon. Needs a bigger boat to have this feature. I then looked at the numbers and the LOA is only 42'7" and its not that wide either compared to boats like the Lagoon 420.

The Lagoon 440/450, Helia are bigger and offer more space, probably also the Lagoon 420, and even my Orana 44 felt roomier in the salon/cockpit.
I never saw an FP Orana 44 and I never put attention on it over internet but seems a pretty good and roomy CAT, and it should sails better than lagoon? More than that I find more on sale used that seems to be used just from the owner (lots of amenities that you don't find on a charter boat) and the prices are reasonable (2011 unit around 250K€)

What about performance ? What is your opinion about your Orana ?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:05   #12

Boat: PT-11

It's a good bet that the more pumped up its interior is, the worse a sailor it is.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, leopard