Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 06:16   #1

Lagoons - How Durable Are They ?

hi guys... I'm giving myself 1 to two years, and i'l be on my cat', living aboard, and circumnavigating, with two to three big passages a year. I would not want to buy, keep the cat for 2 years, and then re-sell. I'd like to keep it for at least 10 to 15 years. (or more). I won't have the $$$ to buy a Privilège, or a high-priced custom made cat. ALSO, having been to a few boat-shows, it's the Lagoons - mostly the new 52 and 560 - that make me feel at home. Speed is not a concern. What is my concern is the durability, easy access for repairs of any kind, no bistering, no hull issues, durable sails, durable systems, electric wirings well put together, overall solidity of everything.
- what do you think? is this achievable on a lagoon?
- has the quality of those cats improved over the recent years?
- any blistering issues lately?
your comments and experience would be so much appreciated.
sail safe !
alexxx
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 07:58   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
re: Lagoons - How Durable Are They ?

I did not notice any quality drop, but I only know their smaller models: 38 to 42 ft. Old and new.

I think their quality is roughly level with any other mass produced cat. I am not sure they are built for circumnavigating the world and 2-3 long passages a year. I believe the target market is mass charter fleets.

This much said, I would not feel unsafe in a Lagoon in the open water. A boat is a boat and few break apart without some help from their skipper. If you know what your boat is all about, and if you respect the limits, you are likely to be able to sail far, with minimal damage.

I think any new Lagoon will easily last 15 years in good shape. I think many older ones will fare very well too - provided you source a sound one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:11   #3

all right, barnakiel, thank you !
Old 18-05-2013, 09:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Alex - when you say "speed is not a concern" I agree and understand, but for me - sailing ability is, i.e. I don't mind if I am not the fastest sail boat, but I want to be sailing. My boat will sail where others (certainly some Lagoons) either won't or don't
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 09:23   #5
cruiser

Our friend's Lagoon 450 is enormous, I can't even imagine the interior and exterior space a Lagoon 52 or 56 offers... A floating island.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 09:34   #6

Regarding speed; My dead stock older Lagoon 42 kept up with friends aluminum cruising 48' mono with no issues. Even to weather we were usually a dead heat. Them winning only when the destination didnt have a favored tack. BTW, I moved all our stuff from my Passport 47 mono (it came up 5" on the waterline!) across the dock to the Cat and it only went down 1.5".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 11:27   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Speed should not be any issue. My client's 40' sailed an average of +140 miles on an easy tradewinds DOWNWIND (mostly) passage.

Tight upwind, with two engines onboard, you can easily improve your pointing and speed, should there be any call for getting somewhere sooner rather than later.

What might be an issue is the overall size of the boat: I mean a 50+ cat is quite some boat and SA and loads are quite respectable. So, if any extensive sailing is planned, I would rather err towards a slightly 'undersize' boat rather than one that is a tad bit too big for my stamina.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 11:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Lagoons - How Durable Are They ?

I think a Google search on beam failures in Lagoon Cats (or any other you fancy) should help... highest stress area I believe...
bit like airline with most crashes... check b4 u fly

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 11:41   #9

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think any new Lagoon will easily last 15 years in good shape. I think many older ones will fare very well too - provided you source a sound one. b.
barnakiel, would you please go into a bit more detail on the "15 years" the boat will last. I thought fiberglass boats would outlive us all...
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 11:54   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Lagoons - How Durable Are They ?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 12:42   #11

oh c'mon Minaret, tell me what ya' ffink !!
Old 18-05-2013, 12:45   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
oh c'mon Minaret, tell me what ya' ffink !!

Just punch Lagoon into the forum search and start reading.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 20:30   #13

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca
We have a 4 yo Lagoon 420 and I am anticipating that it will outlive me. Pretty solid boat I think. Performance on the whole is good. Comfort unbeatable.

I think a 520 or 560 is just too big to be practical. 420 is the ideal size by my reckoning. We are liveaboards

Bob

Casablanca L420
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 01:46   #14

I own hull #30 Lagoon 440.
It has sailed across the Atlantic and later across the Pacific to Australia.
Built late 2004, and approaching 9 years of age, both its structure and its fibreglass remain in excellent condition. A few creaks and groans when underway from the internal wood linings, but no more than average. A few small stress cracks in the gelcoat near bulkheads. So far so good with nothing major to report.
As for sailing, easy "as" two up, even with the big 155sqm asy. Solo with main and genoa is easy (except docking). Its weight is an advantage in big seas as it rides the sea on the bow well, maintaing momentum without slamming.
Saturday afternoon was a good example of its performance (two up) when we did out and back 10NM legs in 25-30kts with an initial deep reach with 1 reef in the main and the ASY, and tight hauled with 1 reef main and 75-100% genoa on home leg. Although not racing there were several cats and large 50' cruising monos on the same return leg. Only the 50' mono pointed better by about 10 degrees to windward, but we were making 1.5kts better speed, making our VMG superior. Still faster boats there are a plenty, but the space, comfort, ride, performance, cost equation is hard to beat. So far the durability score also looks good.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 03:46   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
I own hull #30 Lagoon 440.
It has sailed across the Atlantic and later across the Pacific to Australia.
Built late 2004, and approaching 9 years of age, both its structure and its fibreglass remain in excellent condition. A few creaks and groans when underway from the internal wood linings, but no more than average. A few small stress cracks in the gelcoat near bulkheads. So far so good with nothing major to report.
As for sailing, easy "as" two up, even with the big 155sqm asy. Solo with main and genoa is easy (except docking). Its weight is an advantage in big seas as it rides the sea on the bow well, maintaing momentum without slamming.
Saturday afternoon was a good example of its performance (two up) when we did out and back 10NM legs in 25-30kts with an initial deep reach with 1 reef in the main and the ASY, and tight hauled with 1 reef main and 75-100% genoa on home leg. Although not racing there were several cats and large 50' cruising monos on the same return leg. Only the 50' mono pointed better by about 10 degrees to windward, but we were making 1.5kts better speed, making our VMG superior. Still faster boats there are a plenty, but the space, comfort, ride, performance, cost equation is hard to beat. So far the durability score also looks good.
I can second all of the above, our 2005 Lagoon 440 sails fine and can handle the rough stuff with confidence.
We have done 12,000 nm with no issues apart from expected maintenance.
We once hit the dock on the corner right in the middle of the boat due to operator error, a real big wack, i was expecting a hole in he side and plenty of damage too.
Not even a scratch, it was fine.

I would buy another Lagoon for sure.
Just do not expect much help from Lagoon after the cheque has cleared.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote