Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 07:16   #151

Re: Lagoons Have Cheap Brass Thruhulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco Loco III View Post
btw Leo the Clown, if you are the same numhead who use to irritate the hell out of everybody on the Yahoo forum..... get a live...or a hobby.. or a decent boat for that matter.. this is getting pathetic.
its "life" not live.....
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 11:00   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco Loco III View Post
My lagoon 2008
= thru hulls no problems
= wiring no problems ever

Someone talks a big game and does not even have a Lagoon
George has his own agenda:
He wants to buy a Lagoon and is just pushing these so called issues that he can't proof so they get into his budget range

Probably this will finally end when he found someone to sell him a cheap Lagoon.

So guys, give him your nice Lagoon 560 for maybe 100k before it inevitably burns to the waterline.
It definately will once the though hulls fail and the bilge pumps suck their juice though untinned wires that corroded in the minute of water contact.

uuh, no wait. I'm just a denier. Whatever...
shabbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 11:04   #153

an admitted denier--omg (however hes really another op coach)
Old 30-03-2012, 11:16   #154

-the three monkees- see no facts, hear no facts, speak no facts
Old 30-03-2012, 12:07   #155

Boat: Lagoon 440

Leo i've seen no facts, heard no facts and don't believe you have spoken any facts sadly you troll a lot. Mate get a boat, any boat, shut-up and enjoy it and don't perpetuate rubbish about other peoples choices.

Enjoy.......
Old 30-03-2012, 12:11   #156
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What is it with some people running down production boats especially French ones. The French dominate the world market,in sail the Europeans ( us) own it virtually exclusively. you don't get there by building shoddy products. And we operate in a mandatory build standards enviroment.

Of course Some people think that unless you have a long kneed boat built with an adze in a boatyard run by two people on Maine, ( since gone bust ) that everything else isn't a boat at all.

Sheesh get a grip. Lagoons are more then adequately wired and use DZR thru hulls. These and literary 100000s of European production boats can't be wrong.

It's like people banging on about BAvaria based on an incident in Croatia that had really nothing to do with Bavaria. Facts gentlemen please facts not hearsay.

Dave
Old 30-03-2012, 12:15   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Leo i've seen no facts, heard no facts and don't believe you have spoken any facts sadly you troll a lot. Mate get a boat, any boat, shut-up and enjoy it and don't perpetuate rubbish about other peoples choices.

Enjoy.......
fuasap
Old 30-03-2012, 12:16   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What is it with some people running down production boats especially French ones. The French dominate the world market,in sail the Europeans ( us) own it virtually exclusively. you don't get there by building shoddy products. And we operate in a mandatory build standards enviroment.

Of course Some people think that unless you have a long kneed boat built with an adze in a boatyard run by two people on Maine, ( since gone bust ) that everything else isn't a boat at all.

Sheesh get a grip. Lagoons are more then adequately wired and use DZR thru hulls. These and literary 100000s of European production boats can't be wrong.

It's like people banging on about BAvaria based on an incident in Croatia that had really nothing to do with Bavaria. Facts gentlemen please facts not hearsay.

Dave
duh
Old 30-03-2012, 12:24   #159

I think there's a lot of inexperienced people just wishing to comment that gets a reaction that then validates their pathetic life.
In the real world they would never dare speak for fear of a smack in the mouth HOWEVER the internet allows them to offend within the security of their home.
There's lots of good help and attitude on this forum however there are also the looney fringe worried about the 'PERFECT STORM' ....'PIRATES' ..... and 'ALLEGED BRASS FITTINGS'.
Only brass i've ever seen used on a boat in my 30 years of building and maintaining them has been limited to a few wood screws and some domestic water fittings. Comments that Lagoon would fit any brass is just dumb and if those comments were made about an American or Aussie builder the troller's front door would be littered with CEASE AND DESIST NOTICES.....

Give me a break, we are off to buy our dream.........

Well said Dave we all concur 'cept Leo LMAO
Old 30-03-2012, 12:43   #160
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Why bother George, theres no point in trying to save these people some trouble. They will learn the hard way down the road, you're just wasting your breath here. Several surveyors, boatbuilders and Lagoon owners have chimed in with the truth on this thread, there is more than enough evidence here for any sane person to make an educated choice on their own. Stop wasting your time on these people. They may be making themselves look foolish but as the mods on this forum have told me before, when you wrestle with pigs you get muddy!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 13:16   #161

Minaret:- Where has any so called brass fitting been shown to have been fitted from the factory to one of the so called offending builders cats? JUST ONE...

Where has original so labelled 'UNTINNED' wiring been proven to cause the destruction of one of these boats.

Do you think we do not maintain, check, observe, question every single item on our boats no matter what build they are?

Show me the evidence!
Show me it's factory originated!

Next week i'll be surveying three one owner well cared for cats that haven't been modified in any way, they are around 5 to 6 years old, i'll post ANY dodgy wiring or Fittings i find. Here in Australia i'm qualified under the USL Code through AMSA as a builder of ships, which is similar to USCG req's in America.

Can't be fairer than that. Your pig comment is noted and laughed at along with George the Leo's silly fuasap...... Strange how you choose to see it as saving these people from some trouble?

As Colombo would say....
One more thing:-
Do you see the title of this post as being defamatory as it indicates all Lagoons have cheap brass thruhulls yet the discussion seems to concern valves??????

I have no bone to pick i will give an honest appraisal and post the pictures......
Old 30-03-2012, 14:36   #162
Armchair Bucketeer

ROTFLMAO
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 15:57   #163

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
If the thruhulls and wiring are zoo bad why are there not 2500 Lagoons as dive sites then?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:03   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
If the thruhulls and wiring are zoo bad why are there not 2500 Lagoons as dive sites then?
Lol they are at the dive sites where the owners are comfortably enjoying the cruising life!!!!!!!
You don't mind being shown facts with direct causes and links but gossip and sensationalising is just poor taste.
It will be interesting crawling through the bilge and ER looking for the alleged brass fittings.
Cheers all.
Old 30-03-2012, 17:21   #165

Following is an excerpt from an installer of a Maretron Backbone, seems Maretron see no need for 'tinned' wire. More interesting is the good approach of tinning the first 10mm of wire for the reasons discussed.
The wire between connections will merely oxidise. I see no hard ship in cleaning with sandpaper and tinning the connection....... Something to do whilst having a rum or three.......

My take on "tinning" the wire ends: Yes!

I tin just the end of each wire, working very hard to ensure that I don't stiffen a significant length of wire. Don't worry - I do make sure that I get good solder flow - no "cold" solder connections. This bit of solder keeps the wires neatly together when making the connections, something that I very much like, especially when doing wiring in the limited access/limited visibility world of boat wiring.

One more tip: Apply a little Corrosion-X (or your favorite equivalent) to the wire ends with a Q-tip before assembling. I did this to reduce the liklihood of seeing increased resistance over time as corrosion builds up on the copper wires, especially in the (strangely) untinned Maretron power wires.

To summarize: Cut wire lengths exactly, cover the ground with shrink tubing, tin the ends, dab with Corrosion-X, assemble carefully to ensure strain relief, test thoroughly. If this sounds like overkill to you, you're probably new to mixing salt water and electronics!

Tags
cheap