Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 18:06   #391
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Really was a good read. They are of the opinion that a well built cored hull will have more longevity than a single skin polyester hull.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Certainly that would depend on the core material. Foam, yes. Balsa, oh, hell no!
__________________

__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:07   #392
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Maybe you guys hardly ever sail. I sail a lot.
Exceptions confirm a general rule.

Look at en masse crowd: vast majority stay in their marinas forever, a smaller portion will sail a few weekends in a year.

Few sail far and away.

If you sail a lot, then you know that at a point you will hit something. "It is not if, it is when." And then you do not want a boat that will easily turn into a pile of planks.

Nothing wrong, IMHO, with boats that easily turn to dust. One who wants to sail a lot and far does not have to buy them.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:08   #393
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Certainly that would depend on the core material. Foam, yes. Balsa, oh, hell no!

If you read the article their choice is balsa!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:21   #394
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Wow, can't say I agree to a lot of what you said except for maybe the last two sentences.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is exactly the beauty of it.

When we agree, the discussion is over and our learning opportunity expires. We must move on to another bash.

Actually, I too disagree with most of my views. People come, give strong arguments, I read, I think and VERY OFTEN I change the way I see things.

There are no absolute truths in sailing, in anything. It all has many aspects, it all flows and evolves, and we are blessed to live in times and places where we can talk, listen, and see the beauty of it.

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:22   #395
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If you read the article their choice is balsa!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uh, that's not an "article". It's an advertisement. Choose to believe people who are trying to sell you something if you wish.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:49   #396
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

They use both, balsa and foam cores for multitude of projects ,, there is Baltics with balsa core hulls and with foam core hulls, i always rate this boats with 5 stars in terms of quality construction , light and strong..
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 18:55   #397
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Uh, that's not an "article". It's an advertisement. Choose to believe people who are trying to sell you something if you wish.

And from what I read, the article/advertisement stated the use of balsa core. To be honest, balsa has some great properties as does foam. They each also have their deficiencies. What was stated was that your favorite resin, polyester, isn't held in high regard.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:08   #398
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This is exactly the beauty of it.

When we agree, the discussion is over and our learning opportunity expires. We must move on to another bash.

Actually, I too disagree with most of my views. People come, give strong arguments, I read, I think and VERY OFTEN I change the way I see things.

There are no absolute truths in sailing, in anything. It all has many aspects, it all flows and evolves, and we are blessed to live in times and places where we can talk, listen, and see the beauty of it.

Cheers,
b.

And I agree with that! And to be honest, after re reading what you said, it made me think and I can see where you were coming from.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 20:46   #399
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And from what I read, the article/advertisement stated the use of balsa core. To be honest, balsa has some great properties as does foam. They each also have their deficiencies. What was stated was that your favorite resin, polyester, isn't held in high regard.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



Way to go around trying to put words in people's mouths.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 20:51   #400
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Way to go around trying to put words in people's mouths.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 04:34   #401
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

I posted much earlier that the use of the cat should be determinant in what kind of hull you want, need! That said we shouldn't judge how others want to use their cat. I use mine in an cruising area where a scratch to a cored hull would be disastrous as within 1000 nm no repair yard for yachts even a chandler around. I gunkhole and do ciastal sailing, and sail a lot. I have hit reefs, ricks other hidden obstructions with luckily not much damage, nothing I couldnt fix as my hull is full grp.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 10:29   #402
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,057
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Really was a good read. They are of the opinion that a well built cored hull will have more longevity than a single skin polyester hull.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can agree with that but a single skin boat, if worth a damn, has longitudinal stringers.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 10:37   #403
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I posted much earlier that the use of the cat should be determinant in what kind of hull you want, need! That said we shouldn't judge how others want to use their cat. I use mine in an cruising area where a scratch to a cored hull would be disastrous as within 1000 nm no repair yard for yachts even a chandler around. I gunkhole and do ciastal sailing, and sail a lot. I have hit reefs, ricks other hidden obstructions with luckily not much damage, nothing I couldnt fix as my hull is full grp.
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thats good. If you put your vessel in your profile, we would know what it is....
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 10:38   #404
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Thats good. If you put your vessel in your profile, we would know what it is....

Pretty sure it's a 10m Catalac


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 10:41   #405
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Pretty sure it's a 10m Catalac


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good solid boat......
Its nice to know what people are referencing to..... a quick look a the name on the left tells the story.
I like Catalacs...... the 10m is pretty rare these days.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lagoon, Seawind, Thailand

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Cross gulf of Thailand, Cambodia - thailand Mrkymo Crew Archives 0 08-05-2012 03:26
Difficult Entry Lagoon Marina - Phuket, Thailand bgrimwade Indian Ocean & Red Sea 17 19-03-2010 17:29
Planning Assistance Needed for Thailand - Indonesia - Thailand Trip raya Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 10-02-2010 18:48
Caught the guy who smashed into our boat and fled rebel heart Dollars & Cents 13 11-04-2008 17:52
30 Boats Smashed Jacana Cruising News & Events 8 17-02-2008 03:59



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.